Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2017 06:00

U2417H, daisy chain from HDMI?

Summary Q:

If I want to use daisy chain, does the feed from the computer to 1st monitor has to be DisplayPort cable, or could it also be HDMI cable?

Details:

• Computer Inspiron 3250 with two outputs: VGA and HDMI and two U2417H monitors.
  • Computer is connected to 1st monitor with HDMI.
  • 1st monitor is connected to 2nd monitor with Dell provided DP to mDP.
  • No signal on 2nd monitor.

I read that I need to enable DP1.2 on 1st and disable it on 2nd, however this item is not even being displayed in settings. (I did see it on YouTube video). I also read that MST needs to be enabled, but this option is grayed out on the 1st monitor. The 2nd monitor's settings shows nothing but input selection, but there is no signal.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.5K Posts

January 31st, 2017 15:00

Daisy chaining can only be done via DP or mDP from the computer. Any usage of HDMI, DVI, VGA will not work. You would have to setup like this =

Inspiron 3250 VGA out --> VGA to VGA cable --> VGA in/HDMI out converter --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> #1 U2417H HDMI in port

Inspiron 3250 HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> HDMI in to DP out converter --> DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2417H mDP in

Or install a PCIe x16 video card that has either DP out or mDP out.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2017 16:00

Thanks Chris.

I understand that since my new Dell Inspiron does not have DP out, I cannot utilize daisy chaining.

I also understand that I have to feed the monitors with two cables from the Inspiron.

What I do not understand is why can't I use one connection simply as follows:

Inspiron HDMI out  --> HDMI to HDMI cable  --> #1 U2417H HDMI in port

The second connection would be from vga out + converter to either DP or mDP.  Why are you advising the complicated and expensive setup ($114.99), while an HDMI cable will do?

As a reminder, the U2417H hs three in ports: HDMI; DP; mDP.

Community Manager

• 

54.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 07:00

I did not mention using a VGA to DP/mDP active converter because I could not find one. If you do, post the link.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2017 11:00

Sorry for the delay, I went snowboarding in Utah and wanted to test the ordered devise before posting.

Ii ended up with this simple and affordable solution:

Monitor #1:  HDMI out  -->  Standard HDMI cable      -->  HDMI In

Monitor #2:  VGA out    -->  VGA to HDMI converter  -->  HDMI In

Converter link $17.99:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I chose above converter over the one you specified, because it does not require a separate VGA to VGA cable.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2017 14:00

It works, but quality is somewhat degraded after the conversion. When I drag same window across the two monitors - one with direct HDMI connection and the other with VGA to HDMI via converter - I notice a visible difference in sharpness.

Bottom line: don't waste money on state-of-the-art monitors, unless you have adequate output to feed them. My U2417H are simply too good for the Inspiron 3250, or the Inspiron is a poor match for a pair of U2417H.

Community Manager

• 

54.5K Posts

February 12th, 2017 14:00

Good find!

No Events found!