Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2020 14:00

P2720D, DVI-I to HDMI converter, no 2560x1440

Hello,

I have a brand new P2720D and want to move to 2560x1440 resolution.

The current resolution is 1920x1080, even if in the Display Settings in Windows the 2560x1440 appears and is also listed as (Recommended). When I do the switch, the screen goes black, the typical "no HDMI signal" appears and the system defaults back to 1920x1080.

• Bought a new HDMI 2.0 cable (after trying several spare I have had through the year), in case it was the cable. No good.
  • Bought a DVI to HDMI converter to support 4K, in case my old converter as the issue. No good.
  • Updated the drivers to the latest one by NVIDIA. No good.
  • Installed the screen's driver (instead of the Win default one). No good.
  • Reset the monitor/did the various troubleshoot checks. No good.

My feeling is that it's an issue with the cables/converter. 

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I will end up buying a new graphics card (granted this is an old one, but still works pretty well for what I need the PC for).

Many thanks

Nick

* Custom PC
* Win 10 64-bit
* GTX 260 (2 Dual-Link DVI-I)
PC GTX 260 DVI-I to HDMI converter, HDMI to HDMI --> P2720D

12 Posts

April 5th, 2020 13:00

Many thanks @jphughan for the additional detail.

Indeed, seems I am stuck, so I am now after a graphics card; either a cheap solution that will do the job (e.g. GT 710/730) or a proper upgrade (GTX 1050 Ti/1650). 

As per, @DELL-Chris M I have now opened a new thread specifically on the graphics card question.

Thanks again

Community Manager

• 

55K Posts

April 3rd, 2020 07:00

I do not think that this is possible? Every DVI to HDMI conversion adapter or converter I can find on the web maxes to 1920x1080 60Hz.

12 Posts

April 4th, 2020 05:00

Thanks Chris.

I had actually checked specifically so that the converter I got would support up to 4k, but seems not (I got it from kenable, but their website is now closed to the virus outbreak so cannot share any link).

Doing a bit more research it seems that all passive DVI to HDMI converters/cable are single-link (even if they have the pins to appear as dual links) which means they only support up to 1080p at 60Hz.

Even DVI to HDMI cables like this (where the description suggests that "The AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI adapter cable meets the latest HDMI standard, which means it considerably expands bandwidth up to 18 Gbps, offers 4K@50/60 (2160p) video resolution") seem to only go up to 1080p at 60Hz as several of the product reviews suggest (so the product description is actually wrong). 

It seems that the only possibility is an active DVI to HDMI converter (or a new graphics card). There are apparently very few such converters around and they are not as cheap as the passive ones (hence making the purchase of a new graphics card probably more meaningful). Are you aware of any such good active converter?

12 Posts

April 4th, 2020 05:00

Actually to add to my previous comment...

The pity is that my GTX 260 can comfortably support QHD resolutions (can even go higher), and that dual link DVI to DVI cables go up to 4k, but the lack of an HDMI or DP port on the card (or the lack of a DVI input on the P2720D) make the combination sub-optimal (i.e. up to 1080p).

Looking at a new graphics card, do you have any opinion on GT 710/730/1030 or GTX 1050 Ti? The GT series, even though much newer than my GTX 260, are actually weaker... So any of those would probably be a downgrade in terms of performance, but would solve my QHD issue. But then the 1050 Ti are quite pricey.

Any further advice on this (and the active converter mentioned already) would be much appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

55K Posts

April 4th, 2020 14:00

The Custom PC PSU wattage will dictate what video card you can choose. What is the PSU wattage?

12 Posts

April 5th, 2020 06:00

i have a Corsair 650W so should be able to handle any reasonable option.

Community Manager

• 

55K Posts

April 5th, 2020 08:00

Agreed on the PSU. We need to get the advice of our Rockstars on a replacement video card.

Create a new thread on the Inspiron Desktops board.

Title of new thread =
Custom PC, P2720D, 650W PSU, video card upgrade

Body =
My custom PC currently has a 2008 Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 with only two DVI-I DL ports. So when connected to the P2720D via conversion, I can only get 1920x1080 60Hz. I am looking for advice on getting a different video card that has DP (DisplayPort) out port to achieve 2560x1440 60Hz =

Video card DP out port --> P2720D DP to DP cable --> P2720D DP in port

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 5th, 2020 12:00

@nblt  I have never seen any HDMI to DVI adapters that support dual link DVI.  Regardless of which direction you'd want to go (i.e. HDMI source to DVI display or dual link DVI source to HDMI display), those adapters only support single link DVI, i.e. up to 1920x1200 resolution.  If you only have dual link DVI as a source, I don't think you'll have a way to run QHD to that display.  I know there are some DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapters as well as USB-C to dual link DVI adapters, but even they only work for dual link DVI displays, not dual link DVI source devices.  They're also quite expensive because dual link DVI is practically non-existent now, so there just isn't much demand for it -- in fact dual link DVI was never particularly widely used because the displays that required its bandwidth were so expensive back then, and by the time costs came down, DisplayPort had arrived.

I think you're stuck.

No Events found!