Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 23:00

Using external touchpad tp713 and pinch-to-zoom

when ordering the XPS 13 dev edition, I am faced with the option of buying the TP713...my assumption then is that it will work right out of the box on this device, is that correct?

apart from this: does anyone have the answer on the question: does pinch-to-zoom using the touchpad work in a browser like it does on Mac and some Windows laptops? Does anyone have a video on this?

3 Posts

July 25th, 2013 01:00

I have the TP713, using it with ubuntu 13.04

You can two finger zoom in browser (at least in Chrome).

This does not work with the onboard Cypress touchpad though.

This TP713 works using evdev driver, so not a lot of configurations to play with.  Cypress one emulates synaptics driver, so can do a quite bit there using xSwipe.

23 Posts

July 25th, 2013 02:00

Thanks a lot for your response!

Just a few more questions and then I'll leave you alone :)

So, zooming works with the TP713 out of the box? Does it zoom smooth or is it like you are hitting 'ctrl-+' ?

I saw some issues with the TP713 not recognizing 'taps' for left clicks, did you experience that?

do you prefer a touchpad to a mouse with concerns to RSI?

Really too bad that the onboard does not work with zooming. On a 13 inch I would love to have this work like on a MacBook.

xSwipe does not pinch-to-zoom, too bad...

3 Posts

July 25th, 2013 04:00

Zooming is not too bad, it wont be as smooth as like on macbook (not that i've used a recent macbook).  No issues with left click for me.  There's no way to change the gestures that I could figure out, managed to tweak it a little bit using xinput (it falls to evdev drivers since it's not a synaptic (compatible) device).

Yeah, figured it might help avoid RSI.  It's not too bad, still trying to get used to using a touchpad full time as opposed to mouse, getting there.

The only thing that I wish was better about it was the bloody drivers.

Dell, since you sell this unit under your own badge, would be awesome if you could make it configurable!  It's not tweakable in windoze or Ubuntu!

Having to twiddle around with xinput and evdev configs is just plain silly.  The unit is fine, but please if you could provide something for end users, would be great.

xSwipe gives you 3/4 finger gestures, that's pretty much it

Good luck mate

No Events found!