Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

4 Posts

September 25th, 2019 11:00

Intel RST Drivers cause BSOD

I have several different Latitude models in production and have found on many of the 5XXX series, the latest Intel Rapid storage Technology (RST) drivers cause blue screens. I am currently experiencing this on a Latitude 5480 and the BSOD message I see is:

Stop code: DRIVER UNLOADED WITHOUT CANCELING PENDING OPERATIONS

What failed: sfpmonitor.sys

I have isolated it to the RST driver by fully updating Windows, BIOS and all other drivers, then installing the Intel RST driver and rebooting.  Laptop will blue screen while attempting to load Windows 10 and will only be recoverable if there is a System Restore point. I have tried installing the driver through Dell Command Update, via direct download from the Dell Support site and also direct download from Intel...all result in blue screens.

I have also contacted Intel support on this. They were not helpful and suggested it is a Dell issue and that I contact Dell, so here I am.

Worst part of this is that the Dell Command Update service installs these drivers on any laptop that's set to auto-update.  So I have people coming to me every week with this issue and no way to stop it other than disabling updates on all laptops (not ideal).

This issue happens on a fresh install of Windows and again, all other drivers, BIOS and Windows updates are installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 25th, 2019 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @girard_m_j 

What SSD/HDD do you have installed in these units???

This would not be the first time that a Dell IRST update has caused problems???

Best regards,

U2

September 25th, 2019 13:00

UPDATE: just got in an order of Latitude 5400s...right out of the box, I installed Windows 10 using the latest Windows Media Creation Toolkit, updated Windows, updated BIOS, updated all other drivers and then installed the Inten RST drivers and got a bluescreen on startup.

Laptop was purchased direct from Dell and I did not change anything in the default BIOS settings.

September 25th, 2019 14:00

Hi U2,

Thanks for the reply.

I have two laptops that I am currently testing with and reliably getting the BSOD:

The SSD in the 5400 is an SK Hynix BC501 NVMe M.2.

The SSD in the 5480 is a Toshiba THNSNK256GVN8 M.2.

- Mike

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 25th, 2019 17:00

@girard_m_j 

I was just checking to see if there was a connection with another problem resulting from a Dell/Intel IRST update.

But it was tied to the SK Hynix PC300 and the Dell/Intel IRST update.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS15-9560-stuck-on-logo-need-to-boot-twice-for-windows/td-p/7366316/page/6

For your scenario there could still be a connection???

Dell is aware of the 9560 conflict but the work around is to rollback the IRST update.

In fact Dell removed the updated IRST driver that caused the conflict.

They are hoping that the next W10 update will solve the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted if you find a connection or resolution.

Regards,

U2

1 Message

November 24th, 2019 14:00

I have this same problem.

On latitude 5491 i test Windows 10 1903 and 1909. Install all updates and next RST.

After install RST reboot and Blue screen...

Any idea's?

June 10th, 2020 13:00

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue with a Latitude 5500, I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

June 10th, 2020 14:00

Hi @Rafa_Rdrgz,

After some extensive research and testing, I found that our Latitudes arrived out of the box in RAID mode.  When I switched this to AHCI and reinstalled Windows, the latest Intel RST drivers stopped causing blue screens.

Unfortunately, after you make this change in the BIOS, you will need to install a fresh copy of Windows.  Laptop will not boot if you change it and try to boot to a pre-existing install.

June 11th, 2020 15:00

Thank you so much for your answer, I'll do that this weekend. I appreciate the help!

1 Message

June 12th, 2020 08:00

That was an outstanding find!  I never would have thought to check for that on a laptop, but it works!  I can update windows completely now, and, also, update all Dell drivers.

Danny

1 Message

September 10th, 2020 10:00

You actually do not need to do a clean install after switching to AHCI when running Windows 10. Just shift+f8 during POST and when you get to the Diagnose/Repair screen, choose Cancel, then Advanced Options--> Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options --> Startup Settings --> Restart --> option 4 (Safe Mode). Once logged in to Safe Mode, reboot and boot into Windows normally.

What this does is disables certain drivers in safe mode, and then re-enables them in normal. Since RAID isn't being used anymore, it shouldn't load those drivers anymore and instead install the AHCI SATA drivers.

No Events found!