Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2017 14:00

XPS 13 9350 Not Turning On - Flea Power?

Hey Community -

Today, my laptop wasn't booting up at all. I tried with AC connected and no AC connected. I am on a Dell XPS 13 9350, I've had it only around 8 months.

When I press the power button, the white LED on the power button would light up for maybe 5-8 seconds and then shut off. I would never see the "DELL" boot logo or anything. It never started up. The battery was 100% charged (I confirmed with the battery indicator button on the side of the laptop). I used the laptop last night with no problems, it was fully charged, shut it down like regular...and then this happened this morning.

I did some reading and heard that it could be "Flea Power." From my understanding, its static electricity that is caught in the computer?

I didn't have the screwdrivers needed to get the back open, nor do I have experience taking out battery, etc. So I took it to a PC Repair store, and he opened it up, disconnected the Battery, BIOS Battery, took out the SSD, grounded the computer, and held the Power button down for 30 seconds and let the Computer sit for 10 mins. This was to "drain the power." We tried to boot it up after that without the SSD, and it didn't work. We popped the SSD in and then booted and it booted up!! PHEW!

He said this is probably going to keep happening. Why is this happening? I paid $1400 for this machine and its less than a year old. I got off the phone with Dell tech support and since the PC boots now, they aren't willing to help. My warranty is only good until July of this year. I want to make sure this gets fixed while under warranty. I've had multiple issues with this machine since I got it - USB Type C issue, laptop not going to sleep issue, and now this. The other issues I just found workarounds and small tweaks online since I never wanted to send it in for a few weeks. But this issue I'm concerned about. I don't want to fry the motherboard.

Can someone please help me?

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 14:00

Hey Community -

Today, my laptop wasn't booting up at all. I tried with AC connected and no AC connected. I am on a Dell XPS 13 9350, I've had it only around 8 months.

When I press the power button, the white LED on the power button would light up for maybe 5-8 seconds and then shut off. I would never see the "DELL" boot logo or anything. It never started up. The battery was 100% charged (I confirmed with the battery indicator button on the side of the laptop). I used the laptop last night with no problems, it was fully charged, shut it down like regular...and then this happened this morning.

I did some reading and heard that it could be "Flea Power." From my understanding, its static electricity that is caught in the computer?

I didn't have the screwdrivers needed to get the back open, nor do I have experience taking out battery, etc. So I took it to a PC Repair store, and he opened it up, disconnected the Battery, BIOS Battery, took out the SSD, grounded the computer, and held the Power button down for 30 seconds and let the Computer sit for 10 mins. This was to "drain the power." We tried to boot it up after that without the SSD, and it didn't work. We popped the SSD in and then booted and it booted up!! PHEW!

He said this is probably going to keep happening. Why is this happening? I paid $1400 for this machine and its less than a year old. I got off the phone with Dell tech support and since the PC boots now, they aren't willing to help. My warranty is only good until July of this year. I want to make sure this gets fixed while under warranty. I've had multiple issues with this machine since I got it - USB Type C issue, laptop not going to sleep issue, and now this. The other issues I just found workarounds and small tweaks online since I never wanted to send it in for a few weeks. But this issue I'm concerned about. I don't want to fry the motherboard.

Can someone please help me?

1 Message

July 25th, 2017 14:00

I have same.problem. How is possible ? I do not have 6x screwdrive , how i am open back cover for.reset. attery. Al so if my data and programs will.destroyed its a big.problem for me.

No Events found!