Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

5 Posts

September 5th, 2003 16:00

mouse pointer disappears

I have a Latitude D800 that I just finished updating the video BIOS and driver on. When it rebooted, there was a 3/8 inch tall section of the screen where the mouse pointer disappears. The section of screen where the mouse pointer disappears is about a third the way up from the bottom and covers the width of the screen.

As previously stated, I had just installed the newest video drivers AND bios. I tried reinstalling the video drivers (olld and new) and also tried removing and reinstalling the mouse pointer drivers. None of these things worked.

The mouse pointer works fine even though you cant see it. This problem started yesterday (Sept 4 2003) though I have noticed today that it will not exhibit this problem all the time.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonnypark

3.1K Posts

September 5th, 2003 17:00

Jonnypark,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Install the latest video drivers for the Inspiron 8600 on your computer.  A link to these drivers is here.

5 Posts

September 5th, 2003 22:00

That did it!

Thanks BobT. I appreciate you getting back so fast.

Jonnypark

5 Posts

September 6th, 2003 22:00

I take back my last comment. The problem has showed its ugly head again.

The only thing I did was install the updated Alps Mouse pointer drivers and network adapter drivers.

Funny thing is that I had rebooted a few times yesterday and the problem was not occuring. The next day I booted up the machine and there it was.

Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

12 Posts

September 7th, 2003 20:00

I am having the exact same problem on my Inspiron 8500 with a GeForce 4 4200 Go card. I updated the BIOS just now and just noticed the problem. It is just the mouse pointer that disappears, everything else is displayed fine. It is as if there is an invisible bar that just stops the mouse pointer displaying for a small area across the whole width of the screen (but only with a height of about 1.5cm).

How can I fix this? Is it possible to flash the BIOS with the original ROM?

September 7th, 2003 21:00

I've got the same problem with my D800, only just got it although it is a refurb. I've tried installing the latest video drivers /bios and touch pad drivers. Also I've got the latest XP updates.

5 Posts

September 7th, 2003 22:00

After updating the video BIOS with  nVidia GeForce4 4200 Go, v.4.28.20.31.10, A03, the mouse problem occured. Need a solution to this.

5 Posts

September 7th, 2003 22:00

I just finished reinstalling XP from a clean format. I loaded the original drivers (from the utility disk) and the problem still exists.

I agree that the BIOS upgrade is the problem. I too am looking for a way to burn the BIOS back to the previous version.

18 Posts

September 10th, 2003 04:00

I have the exact same problem on a D800.   The latest drivers do NOT help.  The 3/8 inch section of the screen where the cursor disappears will fix itself if i change the video settings.  BUT it will come back as soon as i close the lid and open it again. 

please help...

18 Posts

September 11th, 2003 05:00

Just to clarify, I have already installed the Inspiron 8600 video drivers, too.  It does not fix the problem.  

Please help.   Thanks.

15 Posts

September 12th, 2003 05:00

I have a Latitude D800 and I'm experiencing this same issue with the mouse pointer disappearing the whole length of the top of the screen about an eighth of an inch down. I'm running the latest video drivers and the latest bios and had never noticed this until the video bios upgrade. As I've read, changing resolutions does cause it to work fine, but as soon as the lid is closed and opened back up, the problem returns. I do not have it setup to go into standby, this is just closing the lid with windows set to do nothing. Please help!

15 Posts

September 12th, 2003 10:00

i have the same problem: D800, bios A3, latest video driver (tried to rollback with no result), latest touchpad drivers.

in the top corners and a central part of the screen (from left to right, half inch high), the mouse cursor disappears

15 Posts

September 12th, 2003 11:00

installed A04 bios. problem still present.

installed Video: nVidia GeForce4 4200 Go, Driver, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Multi Language, Inspiron 8600, v.6.14.10.4482, A04, problem disappeared !!

15 Posts

September 12th, 2003 16:00

I just noticed after coming out of hibernate, the region in which the pointer disappears has moved down to the middle of the screen and is still about an eighth of an inch. After changing resolutions it goes away as usual, then after closing and opening the lid, it reappears in the middle. Is it ok to use the Inspiron 8600 drivers on the D800?

pdenti I don't see any A04 bios for the D800 or Inspiron

Message Edited by elcracker on 09-12-2003 12:36 PM

3.1K Posts

September 12th, 2003 17:00

elcracker,

The drivers that fix this issue are only available on the Inspiron 8600 site.  These drivers will also work with the Inspiron 8500 and Latitude D800.

15 Posts

September 12th, 2003 17:00

elcracker, i found the BIOS: Dell Latitude D800 System BIOS, English, Latitude D800, A04 here:

www.dell.it ==> files for latitude d800 ==> flashbios update ==> HERE

substitute your service tag to the in the following url

http://support.euro.dell.com/it/it/filelib/system.asp?st= &m=l&p=1

No Events found!