Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

5 Posts

September 5th, 2003 16:00

mouse pointer disappears

I have a Latitude D800 that I just finished updating the video BIOS and driver on. When it rebooted, there was a 3/8 inch tall section of the screen where the mouse pointer disappears. The section of screen where the mouse pointer disappears is about a third the way up from the bottom and covers the width of the screen.

As previously stated, I had just installed the newest video drivers AND bios. I tried reinstalling the video drivers (olld and new) and also tried removing and reinstalling the mouse pointer drivers. None of these things worked.

The mouse pointer works fine even though you cant see it. This problem started yesterday (Sept 4 2003) though I have noticed today that it will not exhibit this problem all the time.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonnypark

3.1K Posts

September 25th, 2003 16:00

hfchow and other users:

You should update the video driver to the latest for the Inspiron 8600.  You may also consider updating the video BIOS.  This topic has already been discussed in the video conference.

18 Posts

September 25th, 2003 19:00

DELL-BobT,

Perhaps I should have also included the fact that I had already installed the 8600 video drivers.  It did NOT fix the problem.  And besides, there are now UPDATED video drivers posted for the D800, newer than the 8600. 

The 8600 driver listed is:  v.6.14.10.4482, A04

The D800 driver listed is: v.6.14.10.4487, A05

Please, Dell, keep working on a fix for this problem.  Contrary to your posting, the 8600 video drivers do NOT work.   Thanks.

Message Edited by hfchow on 09-25-2003 01:56 PM

15 Posts

September 25th, 2003 20:00

DELL-BobT,

what about the twinview feature ? I cannot find it any more

1 Message

October 2nd, 2003 19:00

I just received a Latitude D800, and have been fighting this problem also.  The mouse pointer was disappearing when I moved it around the screen.  I quickly found the latest drivers (A05) and video BIOS (A04), and installed them.  The mouse disappearing problem disappeared!

Unfortunately, I noticed that whenever I would drag an object around (desktop icon, files in Explorer, etc.), the mouse wouldn't disappear, but the object would.  It would just slide underneath "invisible barriers" and show up somewhere else on the screen as I moved the mouse.  I tried installing the Inspiron 8600 drivers, but that didn't fix the problem.

After talking with tech support (and reinstalling the mouse and video drivers, which didn't help) we found that if I unchecked the "Show window contents while dragging" (Display properties/Appearance/Effects) the icons would show just fine when dragging them around.  Problem fixed! (or at least worked around)

So, it's not really fixed (read: Dell still has some work to do), but at least it's a workable system now.  Hope that helps somebody!

- M

1 Message

October 6th, 2003 11:00

I have the same problems with my latitude C610. I think the problem is the notebook-covering arround the touchpad. If you press the notebook-covering nearly the touchpad the mouse pointer disappears from the screen.

Is there a possibility to switch between the touchpad-mous and the external mouse by FN-Key and not by BIOS?

Thanks

marcusru

3 Posts

October 8th, 2003 12:00

Hello,

I also just received a Latitude D800 with the same problem. Funny thing is though that when I create a second (restricted) XP acount, visit and leave it again to go back to my administrator account, the problem is completely gone, until I reboot. So perhaps a XP issue??

15 Posts

October 8th, 2003 16:00

Definitely NOT an XP-only issue..., Come on Dell, what's going on, this issue is terrible and needs to be fixed, these are $3000 laptops, a working fix would be nice. Or at the very least, a way to rollback the video bios, come on, something, anything!

Message Edited by elcracker on 10-08-2003 12:58 PM

3 Posts

October 10th, 2003 09:00

Ok ElCracker, I might have the solution for you (and others). This works fine for me, no more disappearing mouse:

- Open the Properties of your desktop

- Go to the 'Settings' tab

- Choose 'Advanced'

- Coose the 4th tab (I have a Dutch version of XP, I think it will be called 'Solve a problem', 'Problem solver' or something simular)

Here you will find the hardware accelleration of your monitor. The slide will be on maximum (completely to the right). I moved it one 'tick' to the left and gone is the problem of the dissappearing mouse. And as far as I can see, no negative side effects or loss of performance.

P.S. I did not install any new BIOS or display drivers. BIOS:4.28.20.31.10, drivers:6.13.10.4258, processor GeForge4 4200 Go

15 Posts

October 10th, 2003 09:00

wow hillboy ! do you have a solution also for the missing twinview feature ? :-)

Are you able to use the s-video connector ?

3 Posts

October 10th, 2003 10:00

Hi pdenti, I did not yet test the s-video connector. In previous post you said you want to switch on the second monitor. I just tried it succesfully:

- open 'Properties' of your desktop

- choose the 'settings' tab

You should see here a rectangular field with in it two rectangulars (with a '1' in one and a '2' in the other) representing a possible monitor configuration of two monitors.

Below this you will see a pull down list with a text like "(multiple monitors) on NVIDIA GeForge4 Go (Dell Mobile)"

If you open this list and select the second option "Default monitor on NVIDIA GeForge4 Go (Dell Mobile)" you will see that you can select the resolution and color depth of the second monitor. Apart from that you can "Extend Windows-desktop to this monitor" or something similar. Once you check this option and press 'apply' the second monitor will switch on.

good luck

Was the mouse issue solved by my previous post?

15 Posts

October 10th, 2003 18:00

hillyboy, thx very much, 'll try.

about the mouse, I solved it in the past with the inspiron 8600 drivers

thx again

18 Posts

October 16th, 2003 04:00

HillyBoy,

I tried your fix for the disappearing mouse pointer and it looks like it works!    Well, I am still hoping that DELL will come out with a real fix eventually, but until then, I'm happy with the workaround....

649 Posts

December 6th, 2003 19:00

Looks like we can only have EITHER a non-disappearing mouse pointer OR the ability to use nView if we have the GeForce 4200 card.

The ONLY Dell video driver that enables nView (essential for TV output) is the A03.

A04 (Inspiron 8600 driver) & A05 do not allow output to a TV via S-video/RCA - pretty frigging embarassing when I updated to video driver A05 one morning & tried to give a presentation to a 3 Star General).

For now, i'm putting up with a steady mouse pointer instead of no TV output.

Message Edited by ofelas on 12-06-2003 04:15 PM

13 Posts

January 13th, 2004 03:00

Hi folks! I'm maybe late into this thread but I have the same problem with the mouse pointer on my Inspiron 8500 with GeForce4 4200 Go (I bought it in December 03). I installed the the A04 BIOS and A05 DRVR available at support.dell.com for Ispiron 8500 (as per Dell's recommendation) . But as soon as I close the lid and reopen it the "invisible" line in the middle of the screen appears again.
I have a question for you: is this problem fixed by Dell or not yet. The postings were left somewhat in the air here and I could see lots of users without any fix for their systems even using the latest drivers.
The workaround with the hardware acceleration slider refreshes the mouse pointer untill you close the lid again so does not fix the problem. What I'm asking you is if I'm missing the fix or not. Is there any?
It's important for me because I can still return the system. It's a shame that such a problem persists for months without a fix and the systems ship with this issue from the manufacturer.

Thank you! Please reply!

13 Posts

February 11th, 2004 16:00

Thanks for reply. I installed already the long awaited A05 BIOS and it worked for me as well.
No Events found!