Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2016 23:00

laptop power cord, Inspiron 15, 5000

I'm not sure where to post this.  I bought it in July.

The power cord which  was original received a "we cannot determine that the power X  is part of Dell.   Or something very similar.   And the sales company sent out a new power cord. 

Now,  3 months later, I got the same comment;  except that this time, the light on the front edge began blinking yellow.  Or orange.    I  checked the cord completely and the plug-in at the wall that it uses. All is well, except that now, the light informing me it's connected no longer lights except at the very beginning of the boot process.

I read of various issues online about this and nothing was similar.

HELP!  & Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 9th, 2016 11:00

:emotion-2:

Please list your Dell model number and version of windows on the system.

Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

If you don't know it then I suggest you enter your service tag number [ or use "Detect Product"] onto link below. You should be able to see exact system model and version of windows.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" except that this time, the light on the front edge began blinking yellow.  Or orange."

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming you mean Amber light on front of your laptop, correct ?

October 9th, 2016 15:00

Yes, to the amber.   [General Hardware] - RE: laptop power cord, Inspiron 15, 5000. Windows 10.

I ran Dell's tests and all works fine -  no errors..  I can unplug the power cord and the laptop still works fine.

Dell tests told me to use the system checkup tool.  Laptop is fine.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 12th, 2016 07:00

The Amber light means battery charge is low. It also could mean the battery is failing and needs replacement. You can check status of battery and AC adapter in the BIOS setup.

1. Power off computer.[ make sure AC adapter is connected to computer].

2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS now.

Under the main tab, look for the option that says "AC adapter type". If the AC adapter type says Unknown or None then it's most likely a problem with the adapter. Note: You can wiggle adapter while checking it in the BIOS or disconnect adapter and then reinsert adapter back into computer.

Under Advanced tab, look for Battery Health, it should say "Battery Is Performing Normally". If it says any other message then it's a problem with the battery.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 12th, 2016 07:00

You can also check Battery health and status in Battery meter app on the system. Right click the battery icon at the bottom of taskbar. The battery meter app should look something similar to the one pictured below

October 12th, 2016 14:00

Battery: excellent

100%

I may have posted this on the wrong page before I  found your tech Q link..but initially, the error or warning or whatever it was called stated that the power cord was unrecognized by Dell.  This is a fairly new computer (July) and the second power cord.  The female end slowly pushes out of the male end regularly.   I re-plug a few times a day.  First cord was the same.

No Events found!