Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2012 14:00

headphone jack broken. How to replace?

My headphone jack is broken on my latitude d510. sound comes out of one side only unless i move the headphone plugin to one side. it looks like the headphone jack and microphone jack assembley comes out and can be replaced but i have searched for this and cant find any replacements. i don't know what it's called. is it the sound card. nowhere seems to reference it in manuals or parts lists and no one seems to have this part. can anyone help?

177 Posts

January 10th, 2012 15:00

I experienced a similar problem years ago. The plastic jack housing cracked on mine and I was able to repair by wrapping housing w/ fine insulated single core wire then applied a glob of epoxy on top. It is still working today.

First clean jack w/ alcohol drenched round cut toothpick (or something better) then test w/ more than one headset.

If no joy then inspect for cracks.

If no cracks I would pull jack and try to match it up.

Dell may have a jack they can sell.

177 Posts

January 10th, 2012 16:00

If you don't like wires to laptop you could look at Belkin bluetooth music receiver.

I have one and it is a handy way to get wireless sound from laptop.

Sound quality between FM stereo and line out.

Volume output is less than line out so max volume will be lowered.

I had a bluetooth headset before and sound quality was decent.

I think jimco's suggestion will provide highest quality sound.

177 Posts

Verify jack solder joints are not cracked before pulling jack.

If they are cracked just re-solder and problem solved.

okay thanks. i didnt know usb audio interfaces existed. i'll just pick one of those up. thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

it looks like the headphone jack and microphone jack assembley comes out and can be replaced but i have searched for this and cant find any replacements.

nowhere seems to reference it in manuals or parts lists

To the best of my knowledge the D510 does not have a separate jack circuit board. I believe the jacks are on the system board which is why there is no reference to them. I don't have a D510 here to examine so I could be wrong. If so, you would have to buy a part on ebay or a similar site where you can find scavenged parts. There would not be new parts available anymore. But I don't believe such a part exists and so you would probably have to buy a used motherboard.

i don't know what it's called. is it the sound card.

The laptop does not have a sound card. It has an audio chipset made by Sigmatel on the system board.

The workaround solution  is to get an external usb audio interface or sound card with jacks on it. Those can be inexpensive -- cheaper than a system board.

1 Message

October 8th, 2013 13:00

Actually on some particular models of Latitudes the sound card is integrated to the motherboard but the headphone jack is on a separate card called the "daughter card."  This is also how you can reference it to Dell also because this is also the name they give it.  I guess it's called daughter for the simple fact that it is separate and smaller card from the motherboard.  I had this particular issue happen to one of my latitude e6420 and a Dell Tech came and replaced the daughter card and it resolved my problem.

No Events found!