Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

N

4 Posts

April 4th, 2008 15:00

blinking Caps lock and Scroll lock/ no boot up

Hi,

I have an inspiron 9400 that has been having some issues lately.  As of right now, when I push the power button, the power light comes on but it does not boot or even post.  The Num lock stays on and the caps lock and scroll lock lights blink for about 40 seconds then the whole thing shuts off.  This can obviously be only a few things but, how to I figure out what those blinking lights mean.  I have search dell support but have found nothing.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

1 Message

November 10th, 2014 18:00

I just want to say thank you!  I tried the swapping sticks for different ones, I tried one of the original sticks with one that was in when the problem starts, basically every combination of memory with no luck, then I saw the suggestion about a bad bay as an option.  Thank you thank you!  That did the trick.  It was neither stick, but rather it was bay 1.

11 Posts

February 6th, 2015 03:00

So glad I found this page! My M1210 died after 15 seconds of the two indicators flashing. I reseated the two SODIMMs; nothing.

By a process of elimination I found that both SODIMMs were fine, but if I populated the RAM holder under the keyboard the problem recurred.

So I'm back to 2 gigs of RAM but it's working!! :)

4 Posts

April 25th, 2015 13:00

Hello,

I have a Precision M4500. Very nice laptop, which never let me down. But suddenly it did not start up anymore. No life at all...

The only thing that happens is the ventilator that blows for a few seconds, but then it shuts down and the 3 leds on the top of the laptop switch on and the left one blinkes for a few seconds. Then, all is dead.

I got out both the memory cards, to check if one of them was broken, but it seems not to be the case.

Is there any one who knows what is wrong?

1 Message

June 12th, 2015 19:00

That worked for me too :)

1 Message

July 25th, 2015 22:00

Thank you! That worked :-)

1 Message

April 25th, 2016 17:00

Ab-so-lut-ely BRILLIANT!  It was a bad DIMM B memory slot on my Inspiron D505 Laptop.  Fired up when I pulled the memory stick out.

Thanks a bunch. 

No Events found!