Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

52 Posts

September 5th, 2003 02:00

animated cursors and Quickset

Hi,

I posted this a while ago but with no luck. I will try to be clearer. I have an Inspiron 8500 with Win XP pro. I changed the default cursors to an animated set (Control Pannel, Mouse, Pointers, then choosed "3D White", but I get the same with all other animated sets and all ani file). The cursors that are supposed to be animated appear to be still. After playing with MSCONFIG I discovered that the cursors behave normally (i.e. they are animated) when Quickset is not enabled. If I enable Quickset they become still. Tech support has no clue what the problem is, so I am asking if anyone can test this on another Inspiron, possibly 8500, with Quickset enabled (I have the latest revision, A04).

The test should be simple. You should change your mouse pointers with any animated set (Control Pannel, Mouse, Pointers then choose any set you like with an animated cursor). Your pointers should be animated now, but as soon as you reboot they should become still. I usually test that when I load a slow web page or a big program and the cursor becomes a still clock instead of animated one. If anyone could tell me the outcome I would appreciate a lot.

Thank you very much

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 10th, 2003 16:00

Hi !

I'm french so, sorry for my english.

I have the same things with my inspiron 8500 and for me it's more as a simple problem.

So if an administrator of this forum can help us !

A la prochaine !

Antoine

52 Posts

September 10th, 2003 17:00

Hi Antoine,

yes simple, but should not occur. Dell Tech support says it cannot help and they don't know what is wrong. All they do is make you roll back your computer, uninstall and reinstall the drivers and eventually wipe your hard drive... I really hope they are going to come up with a better Quickset.

I think I will try to see what happends with the i8600 Quickset. On the website it does not seem to be compatible, but since tech support made me wipe the hard drive once, might as well give it a shot.

Message Edited by giovannir on 09-10-2003 01:02 PM

52 Posts

Not that I am aware unfortunately. I don't like Quickset all that much: it does many things, yet they are not related (enabling the buttons on the keyboard, managing power options, controlling font size). You get all of them or none of them. If you run into any good alternative let me know.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

zut'

And is some other applz' could remplace the quickset ?

because I love my mouse animated icon

So ... thanks for your help

A la prochaine

Antoine

1 Message

September 22nd, 2003 11:00

I have the same problem with my D800. I notice if I go to Control Panel:mouse:pointers and do anything and then apply it... My animated cursors will work fine until next boot up..... Any chance of fixing this?

Peter

52 Posts

September 22nd, 2003 13:00

Nope sorry, no good luck for me. I called tech support, they made me reinstall the Quickset, and it did not work (I already tried that). They don't know what the problem is and don't know how to help. I am just hoping more people will start complainng so they realize THERE is a problem and will release a fix sometimes in the future... If anyone finds a solution please post it! Thanks

15 Posts

March 6th, 2004 03:00

Well, here it is, already March of 2004, and my brand new i8600 has this same problem.  I've uninstalled Quickset for the time being, and have also uninstalled the software for the touchpad as it was causing my startup sound to stutter.  I'm now using Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse 4.12 software that's available at their website (I like the 4.12 version better than the 5.0 version).  I also changed the drivers for my ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility Pro 128 to the Omega Catalyst version to correct several another problems I was having.  All in all, Dell's pre-loaded proprietary software/drivers/utilities s-u-c-k.

I've corrected all of the major annoyances I've had with this laptop (with NO help from Dell, other than to get repeated advice to do a system restore ... like that would have helped -- not!!!), and I've learned to live without Quickset.  I'm not holding my breath on them getting a fix for this anytime soon.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll be a repeat Dell customer.  My previous three laptops were made by Fujitsu, and although I felt compelled to buy from a local company, I'm sorry now that I didn't stick with a brand that I'd never had a problem with in the past.

Message Edited by Mama8600 on 03-06-2004 06:54 PM

52 Posts

March 8th, 2004 21:00

I also noticed the stutter of the start up sound, but it will go away after a few reboots. I guess it depends on the disc activity when the audio is played. However Windows will cache most of the stuff you load at startup and it will load it faster so the stutter problem disappears (it did so for me every time I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the OS).

Be carefull uninstalling the touchpad drivers as some of the features will be disabled and unless you use an external mouse, the Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse drivers will do absolutely nothing since they are for the Microsoft mouse (by the way, I thought that version 4.12 was only for Win 98, ME, and NT, but I might be wrong).

I don't know much about the Omega Catalyst, but what probles did you have with your video card? Also, as a general roule be aware that certain drivers might over heat your video card. I prefer to stick with the official ones and personally have not found many problems, but that is a personal decision.

15 Posts

March 9th, 2004 00:00

After uninstalling the touchpad software, I noticed that there was an update for it on Dell's site.  I installed that version, but it started doing the same thing, so I dumped it again.  My son has the same notebook and had the same problem with the startup sound.  He also uninstalled the ALPS driver/software. 

Before I got this notebook, I had always used Microsoft Intellipoint 4.12 mouse drivers because I liked the way it made my mouse behave.  That's what I'm using now.  The touchpad and touchstick both work fine.  The touch pad doesn't have any of the special options that were available with the ALPS driver, but I don't need them.

As for the video card, the problem wasn't the card ... it was the drivers.  When the "close lid" option (Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced tab) was set to "do nothing," when re-opening the lid the screen would blink, change resolutions, then change back to the previous setting, and my icons would then be moved all over the place!  By using the driver found at www.omegacorner.com solved this problem.  Now my computer really does "do nothing" when the lid is closed then re-opened.  Icons stay put, the screen does not blink, and I do not lose my broadband internet connection.

31 Posts

April 21st, 2004 02:00

I have the same problem where the cursor settings won't stay in effect and animated cursors are frozen.

When quickset is installed all the cursors are messed up, it you go to control panel, mouse, pointer, and make changes, the problem will go away until you reboot, then is comes right back until you change the settings again or uninstall quickset.  I spent three hours testing all the 9100 drivers and IT IS THE QUICKSET application, no other drivers correlate to the problem with the cursors.  Quickset rev A10 and A11 both have the exact same problem so updating to A11 won't help. 

Looks like whoever programmed quicket didn't debug so well.

August 20th, 2004 09:00

So is Dell ever gonna fix this problem? It obviously a problem with quickset and there are plenty of people with this problem so a fix would be really nice. I have a Dell D600 which is effected by this problem.

15 Posts

November 14th, 2004 22:00

Well, well ... seems Dell has finally fixed the animated cursor problem.  Just took them up to v2.2.0, Release A18 to get it right!!! :smileymad:

You can get this release here 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

.:smileyhappy:

No Events found!