Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

N

5 Posts

May 20th, 2005 23:00

USB Mass Storage Device

I recently reformatted my hard drive because of viruses etc... I reinstalled windows xp as well as all the drivers and software that came with my laptop new. I am now having a problem with my USB mass storage device. In the past I am able to plug it in and it would appear in the"my computer" as a picture of the device. Now when I plug it into my usb drive I get a message saying that I need Hi-speed univerasl host controller and that none are installed on my laptop. I thought I installed everything that came with my laptop, but maybe not since I am getting this message. Please help

75 Posts

May 21st, 2005 00:00

If your PC is USB1.0, and your USB mass storage device is USB2.0, you will get this message. It's normally. Don't worry it.

5 Posts

I went a head an reinstalled the drivers again for the second time and It seems to be working!!! Thanks alot

5 Posts

Since I have never recieved this message before in the past. Is there anyway of returning it to what it used to be?

5 Posts

I have installed service pack 2 and I have installed the chipset driver already!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Did you install the chipset driver and service pack 2, and then let WIndows redetect the USB hardware driver?

14.4K Posts

May 21st, 2005 06:00

Glad to hear that its working again.
Reinstallation of the chipset driver simply made the operating system reidentify each of its components and as such correctly identified to enhanced controller and made it use the correct USB2 drivers. You could have had the same result by deleting all entries under USB device manager then rebooting.

307 Posts

May 22nd, 2005 05:00

Also, for future reference, if you installed the chipset driver prior to SP2 then the USB2 drivers were not intsalled. SP1 o 2 must be on the system before the chipset drivers are added to have the USB2 drivers installed alongside it.

651 Posts

July 13th, 2005 05:00

A somewhat related question..I recently installed a USB 2 card in a desktop computer. I am using the USB cord that I used for my printer on my  new USB 2  card.

Is there such a thing as a USB 1 and a USB 2 cord?

The reason I ask is that the USB 2 does not seen to be any faster. I have WinXP service pac 2 to an Epson inkjet CX6400.

No Events found!