Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2013 11:00

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined: Inspiron N5110

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110. Recently my laptop has been given me errors about plugging in the right adapter when it is the same adapter that I've been using since I bought the laptop in August 2011 and it is the exact same adapter that came along with the laptop.

I also bought a new original Dell Inspiron N5110 Charger but the problem persists.

The configuration of the Charger that came along with my laptop and the one I bought new are the same and are as follows:

Dell P/N: MK947

Ref. ADP -90LD B

Model: DA90PM111

Input: 100-240V ~ 1.5 A          50-60Hz

Output: 19.5V -- 4.62A

The error that currently occurs whenever I plug in the charger is:

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined.

Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge. This problem might be solved by:

- Ensure the plug is inserted completely for best system operation

- Connect a Dell 90W adapter or higher.

The charger is properly plugged in. Sometimes I twist and turn the plug that goes into the laptop and it starts charging but most of the times it doesnt do that and gives me the problem.

I checked Dell Battery Meter, to check Battery's health, and it states the battery is running normal.

So there's no problem with the battery.

I used a different charger of more power (Dell laptop charger only but of different model) and it charged my laptop just fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? And why is my laptopn giving me this particular error with the adapter that is supposed to be used with this model and has always worked normally until now?

Will appreciate the help!!

1 Message

September 8th, 2013 16:00

I have exactly the same issue with Dell inspiron 5110.Sometimes batery is charging to 97% an work 2-2 &1/2 hour ...sometimes ,,plugged in,not charging" .I have original Dell charger 130w and 9 cell batery. Maybe is a soft problem? Bios dont recognise the adaptor?I must update the bios? It s so many clients with the same problem.What can we do?

September 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi All,

I am an inspiron user model no N5110 and also facing the issue of battery charger plugged in, not charging.

Also i have tried using another battery charger and it works fine, but shows an onscreen message of watts difference.

Can some one plz help me with the problem or a solution

October 3rd, 2013 23:00

Same problem here, started today. Wiggling helps sometimes, but if I move the laptop the charging stops, so that's not a solution.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2014 18:00

Don't try to minimize this problem. I have had many laptops over the last 20 years, and this is the first time I've seen this one.

I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong, and finally contacted Tech Support. They sent me a new adapter.

And guess what? I am still getting that message!

Bee

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2014 19:00

If that didn't help, the next part to replace is the DC jack.

No Events found!