Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2013 11:00

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined: Inspiron N5110

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110. Recently my laptop has been given me errors about plugging in the right adapter when it is the same adapter that I've been using since I bought the laptop in August 2011 and it is the exact same adapter that came along with the laptop.

I also bought a new original Dell Inspiron N5110 Charger but the problem persists.

The configuration of the Charger that came along with my laptop and the one I bought new are the same and are as follows:

Dell P/N: MK947

Ref. ADP -90LD B

Model: DA90PM111

Input: 100-240V ~ 1.5 A          50-60Hz

Output: 19.5V -- 4.62A

The error that currently occurs whenever I plug in the charger is:

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined.

Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge. This problem might be solved by:

- Ensure the plug is inserted completely for best system operation

- Connect a Dell 90W adapter or higher.

The charger is properly plugged in. Sometimes I twist and turn the plug that goes into the laptop and it starts charging but most of the times it doesnt do that and gives me the problem.

I checked Dell Battery Meter, to check Battery's health, and it states the battery is running normal.

So there's no problem with the battery.

I used a different charger of more power (Dell laptop charger only but of different model) and it charged my laptop just fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? And why is my laptopn giving me this particular error with the adapter that is supposed to be used with this model and has always worked normally until now?

Will appreciate the help!!

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

Hi Z22,

Since you've already checked with a different AC Adapter and it works sometime after wiggling, please check if the charging port on the laptop is loose. Alternatively, you may try the steps mentioned below:

*Check the AC Adapter status in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 65W / 90W / 130W'.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

If the above steps do not work, it might be an issue with the DC-in port and may require replacement. Please refer to the image of the port:

Hope this helps.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2013 12:00

Replace the power jack.

13 Posts

But my laptop charged properly when I used an adapter of other Dell model. Without wiggling. I just inserted the pin in the port and it charged fine just like my adapter used to work.

Is it possible it is because of fluctuating voltage?

Also, how do I access BIOS?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Sounded like you'd already tried another adapter - if not, that's the thing to try.  If it doesn't solve the problem, replace the jack.

13 Posts

But my laptop charged properly when I used an adapter of other Dell model. Without wiggling. I just inserted the pin in the port and it charged fine just like my adapter used to work.

Is it possible it is because of fluctuating voltage?

I checked BIOS.

Firstly when I accessed it, the AC Adapter stated 90W.

I unplugged and plugged it again. (Changing the plug cord NOT the adapter) it doesnt charge and the AC Adapter Type status said: NONE. I reset the system according to the instructions you mentioned but the problem persisted.

I unplugged the charger and plugged it again using the new plug cord NOT but the old adapter, and it charges fine after a little turning/wiggling the port plug (the one that goes into the laptop's charging port) a little.

I don't understand what exactly is the issue. The DC in-port or the plug.

Please help.

13 Posts

I checked BIOS.

Firstly when I accessed it, the AC Adapter stated 90W.

I unplugged and plugged it again. (Changing the plug cord NOT the adapter) it doesnt charge and the AC Adapter Type status said: NONE. I reset the system according to the instructions you mentioned but the problem persisted.

I unplugged the charger and plugged it again using the new plug cord NOT but the old adapter, and it charges fine after a little turning/wiggling the port plug (the one that goes into the laptop's charging port) a little.

I don't understand what exactly is the issue. The DC in-port or the plug.

Please help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It's either the DC jack or the mainboard itself.  The jack is on a plug-in board (see below) -- that's the next thing to replace.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the mainboard.

13 Posts

Yes. I have tried a brand new adapter. And I've also tried using adapter of a different Dell Inspiron model. Not of 5110.

The new adapter I used (N5110) had the same problem.

But the adapter I borrowed off of a friend who has a different Dell Inspiron laptop (NOT 5110), worked fine.

Is it a change in watts? But how come I have to twist the 90W port plug a little but the charger I borrowed worked fine simply by plugging it in?

13 Posts

Is there a way to find out if it's the DC Jack or the power cord that's the problem?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 9th, 2013 05:00

Free service is done under warranty, as with all brands.  And the only way the system would "become trash" when opened to replace the power jack would be if the repairer is incompetent or negligent.

1 Message

August 9th, 2013 05:00

i have been thoroughly disappointed with the performance of the dell which supposedly is considered to be a leading company in the business, and sell most costly machines as compared to HP , i am sorry to say they have been defrauding their customers and no body is ready to listen to them i have also been facing the same problem , and once machine is opened for replacement of power jack it becomes trash. If they have an iota of morality and sense of responsibility they should offer at least free service to all the affected and should repair their laptops . i bought n5110 and year ago and it started giving me the same problem power adopter , power can not be determined so on and so forth.............................................

3.3K Posts

August 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi imraninspiron,

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

August 31st, 2013 08:00

Hi, Sorry to hijack the thread. I have exactly the same issue

I am using a DELL N5110 laptop with its original charger. Since I bought this, I am having problem with the battery. If I plug-in to the laptop a charger that was already connect to the mains few minutes ago, I am getting an error "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined".

However, If I unplug the charger from mains leave for a while, connect to the laptop first than to the mains, it charges.

In the first case, when the charging doesnt happen, the BIOS AC Adapter type say : NONE. In the second case, It says 90W. I did the BIOS reset to default settings but of no use.

Is the solution same in my case? if yes, How is it working fine in the second senario?

Thanks for reading

Raj

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 31st, 2013 12:00

You will find charging/DC power jack problems with all brands of system - and with iPhones, Android phones, GPSes -- anything that uses a DC jack.

1 Message

August 31st, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I am another Dell customer with the same issue. It appears that this issue is wide spread in Dell laptops. Just Google this error message and see the search page flooded with posts of aggrieved users with the same issue. 

I think Dell has some explanation to do here

1. If this is a widespread problem, What is the perfect solution which will work to resolve this issue. Customers do not want troubleshooting methods which do not work. They want a solution.

2. Dell being such a big brand where is the quality check process to avoid, substandard products reaching customer.

3. If products are found defective by good number of customers, like any big brand why is it not recalled/replaced or serviced.

Hope some one takes corrective measures to solve this issue.

Thanks

Mujeeb

No Events found!