Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

May 10th, 2004 18:00

Powers UP but will not boot - no bios screen either

Hi, I just got a laptop back from a sales rep.  Upgraded to win xp about 6 months ago and it wont boot up now.  The Power light comes on, if a cd is in the drive, it will spin up, no bios screen appears or anything.

The hard drive light does come on for a few seconds, and the battery light is on / flashing when AC is plugged in.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

David R

SW Florida

20 Posts

May 13th, 2004 18:00

When I've seen that symptom the RAM is dead or not seated right.  With no RAM, nothing happens!!

4K Posts

May 14th, 2004 01:00

Could be a CPU that has become unseated.

8 Posts

May 17th, 2004 08:00

When you power it on, what are the lock lights doing?  The num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock leds.  Are the all coming on then powering off?  Do they all come on and some go out then they all go out.   Might have hardware problems not an XP problem. 

4 Posts

May 19th, 2004 14:00

Thanks for all the posts.

I've tried all suggestions thus far posted and none of them work.  I removed the ram, reseated it, same with processor and the caps lock and num lock lights do initially light up then go right back off.  The drive light stays on (the CAN symbol) as well as the power light until I hit the power button again.

Any other suggestions out there to be tried before I take to a repair center or the graveyard?

20 Posts

May 19th, 2004 14:00

So much on these notebooks is built into the motherboard.  If it starts sounding like a motherboard issue, I can tell you from experience that you are standing on the edge of a deep hole.  You can start throwing money in a hurry and you might want to ask yourself what the laptop is worth if it is working.  Sorry that you just upgraded to XP but that money's gone.  Be careful you don't throw good money after bad.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2004 16:00

Thanks

ITS A DELL Lattitude C800 (model#:  PP01X  )

4K Posts

There are a couple of things you can try before deep-sixing your M'board. The first is to try a Floppy only boot with only your floppy drive in the bay and the AC Adapter connected; no harddrive, battery. PCMCIA cards, CD Drive or Dock. Use a W98 Boot Disk in the drive and see if you can boot up to an A:\prompt. If you can, it is not your M'board. If you get a boot that way, check your boot order, and set it for Diskette, CD Drive, and Harddrive last. Then reinsert your Harddrive and try Fdisk with the Boot disk to see if it will recognize your Harddrive
If the floppy only boot is unsuccessful, there is one more thing which you can try, but it may involve a major disassembly of the laptop. The m'boards on some models are in 2 pieces joined together in the middle with 3 pressfit connectors in the area where the 2 halves overlap. The whole is then held together in an aluminum frame. The one which tends to work loose most often is just forward of the connectors for the keyboard, touchpad and CMOS Battery. Sometimes just pressing down firmly with your thumb on the upper level of the M'board which extends into that area  will reseat it. If it is not seated, it can cause the symptoms you are getting. You never did say what model you have and you should. 

20 Posts

Leduke's advice is on the money.  Those are good m'board tests. 

It's not a bad machine but if you start pouring money into it, keep in mind that eBay is paying about $550 for that machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42200&item=3478630258&rd=1

I'd hate to see you upgrade to XP, pour a couple hundred into it 6 months later, then have the screen die on you in Sept.  These laptops can go down that slope pretty easily.

138 Posts

May 19th, 2004 19:00

mtrox brings up a good point about the video screen....if you press the CAPS lock button with your laptop on (when the HD/can light is on) does the caps lock light turn on or off?  Have you tried connecting an external monitor?

If you get an LED response to the CAPS lock button, then it may be that your video is out, or your video board got loose (leduke's recommendation was for the CP/CPi systems.  The C800 has it's own separate video daughter board).  If you think that it could be a lcd / video problem, you could always try reseating the lcd flex cable (where it attaches to the motherboard), or pressing down on all the connectors of the video board (as leduke suggested).

4 Posts

May 19th, 2004 19:00

Thanks for all the tips.  I have it working again.

I took the screws out of the back (bottom), removed the battery, zip250 drive, and the CD rom drive and it booted back up. 

It appears the CD Rom drive may have been the problem.  I just pushed all the connections inside I could reach to make sure they were seated properly, flipped it over and powered it up without anything in it and the BIOS came up.

I placed the hard drive back in, then booted again, and then the battery, zip and CDrom.  It all works fine now.

Thanks for all your help.

4K Posts

May 19th, 2004 20:00

I am glad for you that it was not the board or the harddrive, and that you have it up and running. Airwolf was right on that my latter suggestion was for the CP/CPi series, but I was out for the afternoon and did not get a chance to respond to your message with the model given. Thanks for the headsup, Airwolf.

1 Message

May 25th, 2004 01:00

Hi! i am having the exact same problem you described, when i turn it on, the lock lights all stay on and the power light on the side just blinks....although sometimes i can get it to boot up, im not sure what the problem is, can you help me out?
No Events found!