Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

October 8th, 2007 21:00

No sound thru notebook speakers using Behringer usb audio adpater

I have an Inspirion 600m, XP2 Home (bought it in 2004)

Sound is coming into this external soundcard because when I hook headphones to it I hear the music from my tape deck (RCA jacks are being used from the deck to the sound card)

The computer seems to be recognizing the external card as when I open the volume control from the task bar, it says it is using "USB Audio Codec"  (and not SigmaTel audio, like usual) an the screen changes - it no longer says Volume Control but "Speaker" and using the Speaker and Wave controls the volume on the headset reacts

Have no idea why this is not working.  Tried searching through the forum but did not find an exact match 

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 9th, 2007 01:00

I googled your device and when amazon.com came up I clicked on it to read the user reviews which were informative as usual.

"The UCA202 has a headphone jack with a volume control so you can monitor what's being recorded to your computer, as you record it. Just be aware that you won't be able to listen to the playback from your audio recording software through your computer's monitor speakers unless you unplug this device from your USB port first, and there is no warning about this in the manual, which is why the 4 star review instead of 5."

"Cheap and available..this thing works right out of the box. But, like the other reviews note, i cannot monitor through the computer speakers, so i am stuck using headphones (so 4 stars)..not the greatest in the heat."

One reviewer said that although a driver is not needed, Behringer does offer one on their site. It might give you better results.

Jim

October 9th, 2007 02:00

Thanks for the quick response. 

I am not quite clear on whether the review was saying that the speakers will not work at all with this device or they should work if i do not plug in the headset into it?  I tried it without the headset and no sound at all.

I have not even loaded any software yet.  I am just trying to get the speakers to work via the connection - i have been following what is on this website (step 1)

I think the card works because the music also went from the computer to the external card (using WMP) but again only could hear if via headset.

maybe i should try the other device on the above site which is the Griffin iMic (this one uses headset jack vs. RCA as its line-in)?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 9th, 2007 09:00

To me the reviewers meant that you have to use the device's own headphone jack to monitor what you are recording, then when you playback the recording you have to unplug the usb cable. Because the device won't monitor through the computer speakers then what happens when the reviewer disconnects the cable is that the system defaults back to the Sigmatel audio thus allowing playback to be heard.

I have a Soundblaster usb external sound card and it doesn't play through the computer's speakers either, when recording. I use a pair of powered speakers with it. However I could select it as the default recording device and the Sigmatel as the default playback device, but even that configuration won't let me monitor the Soundblaster's input directly through the Sigmatel.

I don't know the details about this Behringer or the iMic, but 2 Soundblaster models that can be made to play through the computer speakers are their pcmcia and express slot cards. They can route the audio into the Sigmatel system which in turn plays through the computer's speakers.

About monitoring in general, you might want to look at the Audio FAQ (1st thread) for the question "Why can I hear my mic ...?" I don't know whether or not following those instructions would make a difference or not.

Jim

October 9th, 2007 22:00

Thanks - that was very clear and sounds right considering that I could also hear the audio that went from the computer to the device when I used WMP (so the connection must be operating properly) and then reverted by itself to the speakers when I unplugged the usb. Do you think it is the computer model and newer ones don't have the speaker issue or is it truly the sound card and how they interact with the computer?

I will move on now and figure out what recording software to use (if you have any suggestions for free, user friendly apps (e.g, easy editing /noise reduction capabilities  - that would be great!  -so far have looked at Polderbits and Audacity?)

I read the thread you mentioned and what i previously picked up in my investigations is that the mic jack on notebooks is mono (vs stereo) and not a great idea to use for recording so will probably stay w/my current approach.  But maybe i misunderstood this too!

Appreciate your time.

thx

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 10th, 2007 01:00

"...or is it truly the sound card and how they interact with the computer?"

That would be my guess.

A lot of people use Audacity, it has noise reduction and it's free. As for user friendliness, I don't know. The interface seems harder to use than my normal program, which is Sonar, but that could certainly be that I'm just so used to Sonar. The last time I looked at Audacity I noticed that there were no or few presets in the plugins. A couple of years ago I compared it to Golwave which did have presets. I decided that both were more than worth their costs. Audacity was fantastic for a free program and Goldwave was great for a $50-$60 program. I'm not familiar enough with Polderbits to have an opinion. I think I had the trial version for a while but never used it.

"...the mic jack on notebooks is mono (vs stereo) and not a great idea to use for recording "

All of the Dell notebooks that had the Sigmatel STAC 97xx audio chip, like yours, have a mono mic jack, but starting with the i9400 Dell switched to a Sigmatel 92xx line of chips that support jack multitasking; the jack can configure between a mic jack or a stereo line-in jack.

Jim
No Events found!