Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 07:00

Laptop Turns on Then Shuts Off

When pressing the power button the laptop begins to boot (all the indicator lights cycle and I hear the optical drive start) but the laptop then shuts off after ~3-4 seconds.  I never even get to the Dell screen.  I have tried to run the LCD BIST by turning the computer on while pressing the key and I get the four color sequence.  I then tried to run the PSA diagnostics by holding and powering on the laptop.  However, it never goes through any diagnostics.  It just boots up as previously described.  I'm assuming I have a hardware problem but I'm not sure how to determine what's wrong.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 7th, 2014 08:00

Hi there!

Please release static power and check if the system is working fine, follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power. Also let me know the complete system model number.

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647628987798.png

5 Posts

January 8th, 2014 16:00

Thanks for your help.  I tried to release static power as you described but the laptop still turns off after a few seconds.  Any other suggestions on how to test the issue I'm experiencing?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 9th, 2014 13:00

Hi JMUgineer,

Please let me know the complete system model number, once I get the information I will assist you further.

5 Posts

January 9th, 2014 13:00

The system is a Studio XPS 13.

January 9th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for your help.  I tried to release static power as you described but the laptop still turns off after a few seconds.  Any other suggestions on how to test the issue I'm experiencing?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 9th, 2014 14:00

Hi JMUgineer,

Please remove and reseat the memory, hard drive and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps below.

To remove and reseat the memory and hard drive use the link below.

In this link punch in the system service tag or express service code and you can access the user manual.

Let me know about the progress.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2014 07:00

I removed and reseated both the memory and hard drive.  This made no difference.  The system still shuts down seconds after pressing the power button.

1 Message

January 11th, 2014 07:00

Have the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1721 .. I stumble and found ESC and Power turned it on as normal. (HAVE NOT DUPLICATED THIS YET TO CONFIRM)  Iam running Dell diagnostics as we speak. I am an IT manager for a state agency......

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi SCFCPD7,

After performing the hardware diagnostics; Let us know the results.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi JMUgineer,

This seems to be an issue with the motherboard; Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

No Events found!