Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2012 18:00

Laptop Display No Longer Working

Hi! I have a dell latitude d830. I am having issues with the monitor display. It is not working but when i connect an external monitor it works.
 but the only way the external monitor works is to select F12 right when powing on and pressing the fn key + F8
 to go to the external monitor, then I select the HDD option to boot the OS and it comes up fine on the
 external monitor. I ran a test by pressing the D button while powering on the laptop and colors red, grey, black
 blue appears on the laptop screen. When first powering on the laptop screen it appears to show a back light, but no display. Just a dark screen with some light to it.
 I don't have a warranty anymore on this laptop, so I will have to buy parts to fix it. I know I will have to call Dell, but wondered if anyone else has a pretty good idea what the issue is? It seems to me that it is the laptop screen that needs to be replaced. Anyone else have this issue?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 15th, 2012 19:00

Hi valley_girl1919,

I‘d suggest that you run the diagnostics on the laptop to check if its issue with the motherboard port or LCD cable on the system. Run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 15th, 2012 20:00

Hi valley_girl1919,

The display seems to be fine since you have run the LCD BIST test on the screen .You are getting the display on the monitor from the computer so the video card is also fine. It should be an issue with the port on the motherboard or the LCD assembly cable.

I‘d suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, start tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

Please revert with the results.

October 15th, 2012 21:00

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I did restart the laptop and press f12. the issue though is that when I select diagnostics, even though I hear the diagnoctics running I can not see anything, not even on my external monitor when hitting fn + f8. I hear beeps periodically and the colors pop up on the display of the laptop for the LCD BIST test. I did hear at one point what sounded like music and all three lock led lights on the laptop above the keyboard would light up when the music played and then three distinct beeps where all three of the lock lights would light up all the same time again. It's hard to explain, but I cant ever see if there is an error or not.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 17th, 2012 03:00

Hi valley_girl1919,

The display seems to be fine since you have run the LCD BIST test on the screen .You are getting the display on the monitor from the computer so the video card is also fine. It should be an issue with the LCD assembly cable or the port on the motherboard where the LCD cable gets connected.

3.8K Posts

May 30th, 2013 14:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                              

No Events found!