Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 3rd, 2011 09:00

Issues with AverMedia H339 Hybrid TV Tuner Card

Hi...I  got a  XPS 15 , configured with AverMedia H339 Hybrid TV Tuner Card and i'm trying yesterday fot more than 5 horus to install and set up the channels and i have a message that  THERE IS NO TV SIGNAL or the CHANNEL WILL BE OFF THE AIR...TRY AGAIN LATER....

After this attempting to set up automatically and manually the channels, i can't get nothing.

I chat online with DELL SUPPORT expert and he goes inside my screen , but he tried everything and he has got the same message....THERE IS NO TV.....

I don't know why when he set up manually and i installed the co-axial cable from the wall through the laptop using the small adapter i have only 24 channels.

Can anyone with the same issue have a better result ?

Why DELL offers this devices before check that everything is working well???

This guy from DELL support  did something that i can't open the WAVES window and the DELL STAGE DOCK when i push the buttons on the right corner over the keyboard....

I will aprecciate for any HELP...

XPS 15  :  iCore 5 2410M / HDLED Display 720p / GeForce 540M  - 2GB / 6GB Ram / 640GB HD / TV Tuner Card / 9 Cell Batt / BD combo /  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 11:00

It isn't clear what you're asking.  If you do get 24 channels, it's very possible your provide scrambles the others - meaning you'd need to connect the output of your cable/IPTV box (whichever you've got) to the input on the card.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 12:00

I don't know why when he set up manually and i installed the co-axial cable from the wall through the laptop using the small adapter i have only 24 channels.

Why would you expect more???

I currently have the basic cable package with Comcast, and I get about that many channels.

If you are getting more channels, you most likely are using a cable box. The signals have to unecrypted by that box before the AverMedia device can see it.

3.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 13:00

In the settings when scanning for the channels,you also have to check the box that says"show/scan encrypted channels" even with the cable box.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 19:00

Attach the antenna to your TV - if you can receive more than 24 channels, then perhaps there's something wrong with the tuner in the system.  More likely, you won't see any more on the TV - meaning that's all you can receive.  And you would indeed still need the tuner to receive from the cable box.

Your expectations are out of line to reality.  Even with a wireless notebook, in most cases you have to pay for service in order to connect - whether that's at home through an ISP or to wireless hotspots.  The service isn't free.

Yes, there are still over-the-air TV signals - but in most places you are doing very well to receive two dozen channels.

Also remember that in the US, analog TV is just about gone - the days of getting some reception even with weak signals are over.  With digital TV, the signal either works, or it doesn't.  There's no in-between.

April 3rd, 2011 19:00

I got this laptop with the TV Tuner Card  to have the option to watch TV on the go using the aerial antenna...  If i have to watch TV connecting the co-axial cable from my Cable TV provider to my laptop, so it not should be  necessary to order this card...

The example is very simple:  Somebody offer you a wireless laptop to have the chance to connect everywhere, but when you try to start your wireless device  you noticed that doesn't work and the seller said that you can't connect wireless and have to connect via wired....  You accept this condition if you want to go wireless?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 20:00

I got this laptop with the TV Tuner Card  to have the option to watch TV on the go using the aerial antenna...  If i have to watch TV connecting the co-axial cable from my Cable TV provider to my laptop, so it not should be  necessary to order this card...

The example is very simple:  Somebody offer you a wireless laptop to have the chance to connect everywhere, but when you try to start your wireless device  you noticed that doesn't work and the seller said that you can't connect wireless and have to connect via wired....  You accept this condition if you want to go wireless?

You have no clue what you are talking about.

The TV tuner card is only capable of getting as many over-the-air channels as a TV located in the same location. If you are having to subscribe to cable, then the TV tuner is a waste of money.

3.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 21:00

Not to mention it's a HYBRID tuner,you can not pick up all of the channels you get thru your cable box unless it is a digital tuner ATSC(Clear Qam) capable.I am not familiar with this tuner but being hybrid i am pretty sure it is not a digital/analog tuner.

EDIT: Im sorry i just googled this tuner and it is NTSC/ATSC capable.

1 Message

May 17th, 2011 21:00

Hi I have XPS 17and have same problem No channels found. Reason TV tuner was not correctly connected ( no connection at all).

I go thru all service dell support for 3+ weeks and... nothing. I request service dell in my home to check laptop and connection was the problem.

Hope this help.

Regards, Swavek

1 Message

July 9th, 2011 01:00

Hi Swavek

I have same problem. What did the service dell tech guy do when you say "connection was the problem".

Did you connect with HDMI cable or did you need to use a ariel covertor?

Thanks in advanvce... :)

No Events found!