Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2012 00:00

Having problems playing video games on my laptop

I got a Dell Inspiron for my birthday with an i7 core and a video card that could handle the high res and graphics of games. I like to game on my laptop, but am not able to game on it without running into problems. At first, I would be playing a game (even a game with low res like Minecraft), and it would just lag me out, and I would get a notification that my display driver had stopped running and had been recovered. I eventually googled the problem, and found a solution. Great, now I'm playing games and the display driver is no longer a problem. However, I'm in the middle of a game, and the screen just goes black, and then goes back to the game. And this happens once every 20 seconds or so. I took it to Geek Squad, and they said my video card and hard drive were fine, that maybe it was a software problem. So I wiped my entire laptop clean and reset it to factory settings, just like they told me to. I finally did so, and finally re-downloaded League of Legends, and I'm running into the same problem. What the heck is wrong with my laptop, and what can I do about it? Please and thank you.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 18th, 2012 00:00

Hello,

Well, I understand how annoying it could get when you face such problem while playing games. I would suggest few steps to isolate the issue.

1. Run a 32-bit Diagnostics on the Video Card, Hard drive and the CPU. Follow the link mentioned below which would help you running the hardware diagnostics.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&isLegacy=true
Please capture the error code if you get any and let me know would help you with the next course of action. If the test passes follow the next step.

2. I would also request you update the BIOS to the latest version. Refer to the link mentioned below.
http://dell.to/QjjZDA
-- Enter the service tag, choose the Operating system and download and install the latest BIOS version.

Please try the steps and write back to us, I would be glad to assist you further.
I would also request you mention the System Model. 

5 Posts

October 18th, 2012 01:00

I went to the F12 Boot menu, but was not given the option to run a 32-bit Diagnostic on anything. It was simply a boot menu for hard drive, network and two other things I can't quite remember, but none of them matching the description that you gave me. I went ahead and updated the BIOS to the latest version like you asked, but it unfortunately didn't fix the problem. I also appreciate you helping me out. :)

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 18th, 2012 01:00

Hi, 

Thank you for replying.
Once you enter the One Time Boot Menu from F12, Please select the option which says Diagnostics and press Enter.
Then follow the link I have mentioned in the previous post to run the  32-bit Diagnostics.
Please write back with results. 

5 Posts

October 18th, 2012 19:00

I just ran the diagnostic test, and I passed it. Could it be something about needing to update my drivers?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 19th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

I would request you to help me with the system model and the video card installed your computer, so that I can assist you further.

5 Posts

October 19th, 2012 14:00

Dell System Inspiron N7110 and for the chip type, I got Intel (R) HD Graphics Family.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I would suggest a clean re-installation of the video drivers.

Uninstall any program related to Intel(R) HD from the Program and Features.
       1. Click on start.
       2. Click on Control Panel.
       3. Program and Features.
       4. Uninstall every program related to Intel(R) HD.

Delete the folder named Video from the Dell Drivers Folder.
       1.  Click on Start.
       2.  Click on Computers.
       3.  Open the C Drive.
       4.  Open the Folder named Dell.
       5.  Open the Folder named Drivers.
       6.  Delete the Folder named Video.

Uninstall the Video Drivers from the Device manager.
Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters (Right Click and uninstall the Intel (R) HD Graphics).

Please do check in the startup items as well, if there is anything related to Intel (R) HD Graphics. Disable it.
Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -> Start Up.
Restart the computer.

Download and Install the latest video drivers from the following link:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-17

-- Restart the computer and check the functionality

Please try the steps and post the results, would be glad to help you further.

373 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 12:00

Doesn't have AMD or Nvidia and want to run MineCraft? intel graphics doesn't run this games.

3.8K Posts

May 29th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                              

No Events found!