Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

September 12th, 2011 09:00

Flashing orange light for the battery + have to press F1 to start the XPS 17 laptop when battery on

Hi,

I have a new Dell XPS 17 laptop that I buy last january. Since 1 week, I have a problem with the battery. When it's reaching 97% of the total charge, a light start flashing with a pattern of 4 fast orange flashing light + 1 normal light... When I try to reboot my laptop with the battery on and the normal power on, the bios stop and ask me to press F1 to continue to load windows 7 OR press F2 or F3... I never had that problem before.

Also, my battery is like new, don't use it a lot, often use my laptop without the battery on, just on the ordinary power... and when I use the Dell PC checkup application and test the battery, it's saying that my battery is fine! I really don't understand what happen...

In a way, it's not a big problem because when it's reaching 97% of the maximal charge, the battery stop charging and will not be over charged... BUT in other hands I find it annoying to have to remove the battery each time I want to boot my laptop to avoid to have to press F1 and also the flashing orange light is annoying...

I try to find some informations about that problem but it's seem that i'm the only one who have that problem. Also, all what I find about that flashing light it's about the battery who is dead and not working anymore, who is still not my problem since it's a new battery and a new laptop...

Any kind of informations will be helpfull!

Thanks ;-)

September 2nd, 2012 11:00

Vince35 you're not alone. My XPS 17 ( L702X )  with a 9 cell battery has the same exact problem. Same F1 at start up, same four orange and then one white flashing light, same Dell Diagnostics app saying the battery passed all the tests and is fine. Obviously there is a problem if Dell's problem checker can't detect an actual problem. Anyway....

This laptop had no problem with the battery for the one year it was under warrenty, but as soon as the warrenty runs out, sure enough some problem with the hardware shows up. It was like clock-work. I'm talking maybe a week to two weeks after the warrenty expired. F'n bs if you ask me!

I'm no idiot with computers either and in this instance ( for the entire year+ I've owned it ) I would diligently pay attention to when the battery is fully charged, then disconnect the a/c adapter from the electrical outlet. I don't leave the charger plugged into the laptop 24/7. Only people that want to destroy their batteries do that. For those of you reading this that still do that. You should know better by now, "Use it or loose it." If you don't use your battery you loose it.

I do remember when I'd first received this computer and powered it on for the first time, there was a pop-up on the screen asking me to do a "Battery Calibration" which would discharge the battery ( no matter what level of charge it had at the time ) then shut the computer down and fully charge it backup to 100%. This was some kind of DELL application that did this automatically. The pop-up did NOT tell me to do the discharge and recharge myself. It actually took a long time for it to discharge. I remember thinking I could have run the battery down faster myself. I also remember the application saying something like it needed to do this so that the reading Windows shows ( which is what you get when you hover your mouse over the battery icon in your system tray ) matches the actual physical battery charing capacity of the battery installed in my computer. I think I also remember is saying something about re-running it periodically as the battery aged or when a new battery is installed. I have NOT been able to find this application again in all my searching.

It may be in vain but I was thinking if the battery in my computer has in fact dropped a cell. That I could re-run this "Battery Calibration" program and it would then match the Windows reported percentage with the actually battery condition and also stop the battery light from flashing every G'  <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> time I fully charge my computer.

If anyone else remembers seeing the "Battery Calibration" application when powering on their laptops for the first time, or knows where I can find this application myself. Please let me know! Serioulsy, please let me know!

1 Message

September 25th, 2012 12:00

I have the exact same issue.  I have installed the latest BIOS, reset the battery by powering down my laptop, removing the battery, turning the laptop back on and inserting the battery.  Still none of that has made any difference whatsoever.  I also have the dell xps l702x and have to press F1 to continue to load windows 7 or .... same thing...  I have tried the diagnostic utility from dell, nothing works!  I'm frustrated!

677 Posts

September 26th, 2012 00:00

Hi Vince35,

Please reply to this post with the exact error message that you see on the screen during startup. This will help us in identifying the issue better. I would also suggest that you update the ‘BIOS’ on your system to check if that fixes the issue. You can download the latest ‘BIOS’ from the following link:

http://dell.to/RPSOVw

Please connect the ‘Ac Adapter’ while updating the ‘BIOS’, Do not use the system until it restarts completely after initiating the update.

I request you to send me a private message with your system service tag . Please accept my friend request to send me the private message. Please click on my user name and click 'Start Conversation'.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

December 12th, 2012 17:00

Vince they ever fix this for you?

1 Message

January 23rd, 2013 11:00

Replace battery.  My husband had hte same problem. We thought it had to do with an incompatible Windows update and tried to restore to a restore point; that failed and put us in a loop we couldn't get out of. I then received two error messages that indicated failed harddrive, and Dell support said we needed to send the laptop in for replacing harddrive. However, we unplugged the laptop and once the battery life was below 90%, the flashing stopped AND the restore point completed w/o fail. When we rebooted all was well UNTIL the battery life was above 90%.  We ran the laptop with no battery, just AC power until a new battery arrived (ordered Dell battery from Dell), and all is well.

No Events found!