Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2014 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520) AMD Video Driver Issues

Hello,

Windows Update installed updated AMD GPU drivers for me a while back. I think the problem is that it installed the drivers from AMD's site instead of the switchable graphics drivers which are compatible with my laptop (Inspiron 15R SE).

All programs that use the AMD card stop responding when I start the system, including Catalyst Control Center and the Switchable Graphics program. I tried to get into the windows advanced display options, but windows stops responding when I open the menu (Gray screen for about a minute then it comes back with the window closed).

Dxdiag crashes if I start it, and if I try starting it again it asks me if I want to run it without Direct3D. If I press "No", it crashes. If I accept, it lets me in but does not detect the AMD graphics card.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re-downloading the correct ones from Dell's website, but the problem still exists.

I'm running an AMD Radeon HD 7730m GPU and Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.

TL;DR: All programs set to use dedicated graphics crash. Drivers say that they updated, but the issue still is there. Can't access driver rollback screen (windows crash).

If you need more information, just ask. I have ran the Dell Diagnostics tool and it found nothing wrong, so this is a driver issue.

May 2nd, 2014 11:00

Sorry for the double post, but I just updated to Windows 8.1 via the windows store, and now the problem's back.

Are there any ways to fix this (without using the AMD driver repair tool; not going to do a system restore again)?

May 2nd, 2014 11:00

Hello,

I followed the steps you posted. The AMD driver uninstaller asked me to restart afterwards, so I allowed it to. I was greeted with a BSOD every time I booted. I attempted to boot off of my Dell driver recovery disk, but there was no disk drive detected. I eventually decided I had to do a system restore.

The good news is, the problem is fixed.

Bad news is, I lost all my files. This time I'm disabling windows driver updates...

May 5th, 2014 17:00

I fixed the issue.

I followed the steps in the second post on this topic: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19528582.aspx

78 Posts

May 1st, 2014 18:00

Just browsing the Dell 15r SE section.....

What Operating system are you using?

When you uninstalled the AMD drivers, did you run the AMD uninstalling utility and than maybe a driver sweep program?

These AMD drivers on the laptop are very very picky and they like to stick around after you uninstall.

Try Uninstalling the drivers(AMD),

Use (AMD Clean Uninstall Utility) from the AMD Download site,

than use the GURU3D Display Driver Uninstaller.

You can use the GURUD3d on the Intel to I believe....

Follow The directions, on the restart part of the programs...

Once you have clean all traces of the drivers, go back to the dell Page that has your laptop and download the latest drivers,

Start with the Intel First and than download the AMD last.>>>It has to be INTEL and than the AMD drivers.

Let me know if this helps, or if you need further instructions on the uninstall utility.

GoodLuck

78 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 16:00

Talk about frustrating....been pulling my hair out over this laptop for a couple of weeks.....I have my own issues too>hoping dell will give us user some help on these?

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I tried to research your issues. Your issue is kinda weird, compared to all the other issues in 8.1. Most people get it working and they just can not get certain program to run on the card. (some programs are not compatible with the drivers). 

Your card is just refusing to work. You already made sure that windows update, did not update the video drivers> You already did a complete clean up and install.

I had windows 8.1 on mine a few weeks ago, but no issues like yours. I also did a clean install, instead of a upgrade to 8.1?<>not sure if this could be the issue?

Did you wait to install the video driver? Did you install the video driver before or after the update of 8.1? Are you using secure boot options?(not sure if this can be the issue too)..

My install, I left everything std---did not change to secure boot...and I did a clean install?(did not us efi boot options/secure boot)

This is another option, I tried and it worked on mine....

I went to amd and used the (find my driver download)Auto detect and install..."it detected my card and let me download the correct driver">>I download and saved it to my desktop, do not install, just save..(gave me a more updated driver for the 7730m)...

I did the clean up on the amd drivers....amd clean up utility and the driver sweep...(I did not use safe mode).....It should not blue screen, if you have all setting using the hd 4000....make sure, before you uninstall, you have your laptop set to maximize battery life...(maybe one of your programs are trying to use the hd 7730, when your uninstalling)<<< I Could be wrong, but this work for me???

If you get a bluescreen....just boot into safe mode, and than run the driver sweep one for the video cards...Restart....once windows boot go to the amd driver you got from the amd website...run it...follow directions...

Run the amd uninstaller.........than restart.......if you get a blue screen, restart into safe mode.....run the driver sweep....restart, and download the new amd driver you put on your desktop...

All the instructions above, was after I had windows 8.1 on my system, with all the dell drivers download....I decided i wanted to try the updated version amd had for the 7730m>>>was version 14. something????

Not sure if any of this will help, I do not use windows 8 anymore, I found there was allot more program compatible with this laptop and windows 7--I will probably wait to re-install 8.1(till I know they got better graphics drivers)

before you do anything---go to your system restore....click create....create a restore point....name it(before update).....Save....

Now if you have any issues, you can always restore your system to the exact point, before you updated...

also create a back up for yourself....dbl protection...

I hope this helps,

(((((Dell please chime in if i am incorrect about anything....)))))

1 Message

May 5th, 2014 08:00

hmm.. if it driver issue, idk if it can help.. i have dell 7520se same like yours with radeon 7730m graphic... The amd website didn't support  amd/ intel switchable graphic driver... rather than installing the driver from official dell website which always usually outdated, i use 3rd party driver..  The driver called UniFL..

official website: http://leshcatlabs.net/
download link: http://leshcatlabs.net/downloads_unfil/
user manual: http://leshcatlabs.net/manual_chm/

Latest version support catalyst 14.4 which is the latest driver from amd compared to current dell graphic driver..

You need to make sure to  uninstall your old graphic driver first by following the guide documented on "user manual" .

Download the latest version of UniFL then extract it
the install process is pretty simple but require admin privilege ---> Just Right Click the file "Unifl_Installation_Assistant.bat"-> run as administrator-> then follow the install guide..
Hope it can help... i test it on win7 x64 and it works.

78 Posts

May 5th, 2014 10:00

Amd released the drivers for this. I think it was there attempt to fix the issues. You just run the program and it will give you the correct driver. A pop up shows after you click it, to verify you have switchable graphics. (14.4) I will try the drivers you mentioned. I really want my windows 8 back,(8.1).. I'll come back with the results.

78 Posts

May 5th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for the link, but I think the version there is the same version on the dell page? I will probably throw Windows 8.1 back on my laptop in the next day or 2. I have a few option I am going to try. Glad you got it worked out.

1 Message

June 11th, 2014 10:00

Use these drivers to autodetect and install mobility drivers. You need to roll back changes for updated drivers from the device manager. This problem is mainly caused due to incompatibilty with intel and amd drivers. I had the same problem, but i got it sorted out after following these steps

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

1 Message

June 14th, 2014 09:00

Hello,

i also had the same problem right here, such as like when i open the menu or folder then i left it around 2 until 5 minute, it will closes the folder automatically just like it restart the program (explorer) beside this problem will repeat the same thing if my laptop getting hot. 

No Events found!