Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 00:00

DELL BLUETOOTH DEVICES INTERMITTENTLY DISCONNECTS

The purpose of this posting is to seek possible solutions to this Bluetooth intermittent disconnect mystery. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop running Vista SP1, and using a Dell wireless Truemobile 355 Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as my primary input devices. Most of the time I am please with my BT keyboard and mouse. Currently I have no problem with my system locating my BT devices even after a system restart, or after waking-up from hibernation, sleep. I even resolved the issue with the BT manager removing the BT devices from its list.

My Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse intermittently disconnect and become disabled for several seconds until the system re-establish connection with the device(s). On several occasion after my BT keyboard stops working, the last key pressed (i.e. alpha/numeric, spacebar, tab, delete, or backspace) will repeat itself several time as if the key is stoke. This intermittent problem will occur 2-6 times while I'm transferring data from one online service to another, during an 8 hours work day.

I have also noticed once my BT keyboard reconnects to the system, some  function keys and/or shortcut keys (i.e. Win, Esc, and Alt+Tab) will temporarily function abnormally or doesn't function at all (laptop keyboard is also effected when this happens) until after the system realizes a problem then resets itself. This particular problem does not happen each time the BT device fails, but it does happen on occasion.

After several hours troubleshooting this problem, I was able to resolve the problems with the Bluetooth Manager locating and/or retaining my BT devices, especially after the system wake-up from hibernation, sleep or after a system restart. However, I feel that there is a conflict with the BT driver and other software/hardware installed with Windows Operating System that is causing this intermittent problem. I know this problem is more command then Dell wants us to believe, and I feel that Dell have a responsibility to find a solution to this issue. 

Results from symptom (intermittent disconnect):

1.     Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse disconnects

2.     Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse stops working for 10-20 seconds

3.     After reconnecting, the BT keyboard and/or mouse resumes normal function most of the time

4.     On occasion after my BT resets, my shortcut keys are reassigned and all other keys stop working normally. This symptom occurs on both BT keyboard and the laptop keyboard for up to 10 minutes, after the system resets the BT device. Observation Note for this line item: It appears that key reassignment occurs after the BT reset. Since I use my shortcut keys a lot, if I press a key, or a combination of keys (shortcut), at the time the BT device fails, the result would be repeating of the that key.

Possible cause of problem:

1.     Conflict of Windows installed drivers

2.     Scheduled task running in background (i.e. indexing, event logging, etc.)

3.     Internet when accessing secured servers (security notifications pop-ups)

Application running when problem accurse:

1.     Internet Explorer

2.     MS Office Applications (Word, Excel and Outlook)

3.     Garmin GPS software (no device(s) attached at the time when problem occurs)

Suggestions recommended by Dell tech support team:

Replace BT batteries, scanned system for virus and common system/hardware problems, modified system settings, update BT drivers, update bio’s, update Windows, re-install Windows, re-install drivers downloaded from Dell website, updated bios again, replaced keyboard & mouse, replaced BT adapter, replaced hard drive with special configuration from Dell, and replaced my Motherboard.

Bluetooth related messages from the System Error Log:

·         The mutual authentication between the local Bluetooth adapter and a device with Bluetooth adapter address (00:07:61:a9:06:80) failed.

·         The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

·         Initial connection to Bluetooth HID device (00:07:61:a9:06:80) failed.  The device has been removed as a personal or paired device.  You must reinstall the device.

·         Bluetooth HID device (00:07:61:a9:06:80) either went out of range or became unresponsive.

Dell forum related iIssues (search for..)

·         Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard intermittently disconnect

·         Inspiron 1721 - Bluetooth mouse randomly looses contact. PLEASE HELP!

·         XPS 730 Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse problems

12 Posts

June 4th, 2009 13:00

I am also having problems with my bluetooth disconnecting:

I have found that I can reproduce the disconnect at will, which is a real help for diagnosing the problem and I wondered if you could see if the same works for you:  I have Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and sometimes just maximising it will cause a disconnect of the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, especially if it hasn't been used in a while (i.e. not in the CPU cache).  If that doesn't cause the disconnect then using the mouse I scroll up and down the whole of the document quickly (about 1s a scroll) and within ten scrolls it disconnects, every time.  This is not the same as scrolling a PDF doc in Internet Explorer, that doesn't cause the disconnects as reliably.  You can download a trial version of Acrobat 9 Pro from the Adobe website if you don't have it.  The PDF file I have been using happens to be from this page: http://www.nocn.org.uk/products/nqf-qualifications and is the Qualification guide for NOCN Level3 Award in Creative Skills Development, which is about 1/3 way down. But I don't think it is just that file that would do it, I just haven't tried any others having found a way to reproduce the problem.

I have also noticed that working with big photos in Photoshop and with video in Premiere also cause the disconnects freqently, but not exclusively.  But is it not just Adobe software that it happens with, just more frequent.  I have also noticed that the problem can be more frequent some time after resuming from system standby or hibernation.

I also have a Dell Rep who is willing to help me on this and will replace my keyboard, mouse and BT card if necessary, but I don't think any of those things will help. He has been controlling my laptop when the disconnects occured and heard the sound it makes and saw the bluetooth icon's centre go white.  It happened several times while he was controlling it and that was just after a fresh install of Windows and before installing any other software (like Adobe, Office, etc.)

Things I have tried:

• the Microsoft bluetooth drivers
  • the latest Dell bluetooth drivers and patch - several times
  • new hard drive (the old one died) and a fresh reinstall of XP with all the latest drivers from the Dell website instead of the CD - this made the problem worse, it only happened after resuming from hibernation or standby before, now it happens after a reboot and more frequently. It happened before any other application software was installed, so only the Dell drivers and Windows software were on the PC. Therefore Dell can't say it is another application causing it.
  • Uninstalling the Catalyst Control Center to see if it was video driver related
  • Testing my keyboard and mouse on another laptop without any problems.

June 15th, 2009 12:00

To resolve most of the BT issues, performing these basic tasks:

1.     Replace batteries

2.     Check device manager for device errors

3.   Check the system Bio and make sure the BT device is present

4.     Check for Windows critical and important updates

5.     Check for multiple firewalls running at the same time

6.     Scan system for common memory and hardware issues

7.     Scan system for viruses

8.     Download and install all Dell critical and important applications and drivers from Dell Support website

9.     Download and install Dell’s Bio update from Dell Support website

After completing these steps, if you’re still having problems, try the following:

1.     Re-installing Windows and repeat steps 1-9

2.     Replace BT adapter

3.     Replace BT device(s)

If you’re still having problems with your BT device(s), you can either replace your BT device(s) with USB device(s), or you can deal with the problem(s) until a solution is available.

12 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 05:00

Thanks, I have now tried all those fixes (some several times) including a new BT card from Dell, but I am still having the same problems of the Bluetooth disconnecting. 

I have just tried a free registry fix program called Advanced SystemCare and as soon as I open the program or when I run a scan the bluetooth disconnects and reconnects like mad! I wonder what it is doing that could cause that effect?

Dell are still trying to help me, but don't know what to try.

June 22nd, 2009 08:00

Which verison of Advanced System Care are you using? I will try it on my system to see if I have the same result. By the way, how old is your system?

12 Posts

June 24th, 2009 04:00

I am using Advanced System Care 3.3.1, which I have only just downloaded.  I find that if I run the Maintain Windows scan that it disconnects the BT every time, sometimes several times.

My Inspiron 9400 is about 2 years old and has had the BT dicsonnect problem from new.  I had got to a stage where I wasn't having too many disconnects and I could live with it and then the HD died and now I am getting lots of them.

I have just tried using ParetoLogic DriverCure to check all my drivers and install the ones it recommends.  That has changed the BT driver and now my BT mouse works, but doesn't show up as a connected device and I can't connect my BT keyboard, because is says it cannot detect it.  But I still have the problems with the disconnects.  I had the problem too when I used the Microsoft BT drivers, so I don't think it is a driver issue. Nor is it a BT device issue as I have just replaced that.  (If I now try and install the Dell BT driver it says that there is a later version installed, so I will have to uninstall and reinstall again.)

12 Posts

July 14th, 2009 08:00

Dell have collected my laptop and wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP, a different Bluetooth Stack from the one on their support website and replaced the Bluetooth device and I am pleased to say that I have not had a single bluetooth disconnect since. The new stack is the Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba Version 4.41.02(D). In my C:\Dell\drivers folder is a folder called R167661 bluetooth so that may be it.

July 14th, 2009 13:00

Awsome, I'm glad to here that you are pleased with the repairs to your BT issues. One month ago, Dell tech was linked to my system when the disconnect happened and he also notice the side offects caused by the BT disconnecting. They sent me a replacement so that they could disect my system to find the cause and a fix to this BT issue. I'm sure this fix may not solve everyone BT issue, but it will solve most. Good luck and enjoy your system.

Trouble Maker :emotion-15:

1 Message

December 19th, 2009 18:00

I just bought the new DELL Studio15 with latest dell BT. SAME issues ! The BT disconnects interminttently. Can never get my headphones to listen more than 5-10 min of music while the same headset works just fine with my other BT devices.

Quite frustrating experience with DELL's BT. Will call TechSupport on Monday.

1 Message

January 4th, 2010 06:00

I have a Dell 1720 and recently bought a 355 Bluetooth adaptor.  It too disconnects intermittently.  Unfortunately, the 1720 is over 1 year old and direct Dell support is over.  I've checked configuration and driver updates to no avail.  Is there a solution for this pervasive problem?  

January 5th, 2010 21:00

My bluetooth issues is solved; let me explain myself...last April, Dell decided to replace my laptop, my bluetooth keyboard, and my bluetooth mouse at the same time. For the past 8 months, I have not had any issues with any of my bluetooth device disconnecting. 

This is what I can tell you; your bluetooth adapter, keyboard, or mouse is not the problem. There is a conflict within the system drivers, and it is this conflict that is causing the intermittent problems.

My suggestion is to read your warrantee policy, exercise your warrantee options, and DO NOT procrastinate. Remember, time is not on your side. Keep in mind that you have 365 days to resolve any hardware issues, unless you purchased an extended warrantee. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets replaced. Or, you can replace your bluetooth devices with a non-bluetooth device or replace your system. It is very difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot an intermittent problem of this kind.

Keywords: bluetooth, adapter, keyboard, mouse, disconnect, intermittent, issue, problem, unavailable, solution, fix

7 Posts

June 30th, 2010 17:00

Very interesting thread. I have just bought a new Vostro laptop with the Dell 365 bluetooth installed and have the same kind of problems. Also, my bluetooth headset is unusable due to audio problems. I describe the issues in this post Unreliable bluetooth connectivity problems on Vostro laptop.

What makes you think it is systems driver conflicts? is there anything I can do to confirm this

It is driving me crazy!

Cheers

12 Posts

July 1st, 2010 03:00

Since Dell installed the Toshiba drivers listed above I haven't had any more bluetooth disconnect problems.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2010 11:00

I recently got a vostro 3700 and was having similar problems (now fixed) just trying to connect and use a bluetooth mouse. Tried serveral different mice thinking it was theproblem but all behaved similar. I could get them to connect the first time and use but if I stopped using for as short as 30seconds it wouldn't respond any longer and show as disconnected.

Turning the mouse off/on didn't help. I had to manually re-connect each time which shouldn't happen.

For me the fix was to just go into the Device Manager -> Bluetooth 365 -> Power Management -> uncheck allow turn off to save power.

After I unchecked this the mouse has stayed connected. The mouse can be turned off/on at anytime and it re-connects automatically (as it should). I know the original poster said they had done this already and it didn't help but for me it appears to have fixed the issue.

1 Message

December 11th, 2011 06:00

@Davidtg40. Thanks, ure right. I did what u suggested & it worked perfectly wella.

@All

This was what i did using Windows 7 OS.

1. Click Start > Control Panel (view by Large icons) > Device Manager > Bluetooth Radios > Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module > Properties > Power Management.

2. Untick "Allow the computer to turn this device to save power".

3. Click Ok and

Close device Manager & Control Panel.

But hey, i think that check box u just unticked was made ticked by default for a reason, maybe to save system power consumption cos Dell may have noticed that their Bluetooth device driver utilize excess power. So, if i were you, i will enable the check box whenever my bluetooth is not in use.

That should be all.

Happy Dell steady bluetoothing.

1 Message

May 7th, 2012 13:00

: )  I downloaded the recommended drivers for my E6420, and that bluetooth installation routine happily removed all the folders and contents of those folders on the CDrive until it errored out on a critical windows file that was opened. Needless to say, that file is still posted out on the Dell Support site.. So you might want to take that "download all Dell important applications and drivers"  instruction..lol   In fact I found the post related to my exact issue from 2010, and yet was instructed to do the same thing. And after my laptop was reloaded from scratch, here I am again looking for a different answer to the same issue I had" the bluetooth works either intermittently or not at all...

No Events found!