Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

May 20th, 2008 00:00

Conversion of wma file to MP3

Inpirion 1525

Vista

I have some large audio files in wma format that I'd like to convert to MP3 so they are small enough to attach to e-mails.  Is this a valid objective?  If so, how should I proceed?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 20th, 2008 02:00

I have used a converter program called Switch that was okay except that sometimes it clipped off the very end of a file. Here is an article about it.

If I am making a very compressed audio file for e-mailing, sometimes I will use wma compression instead of mp3, because wma sounds better for extreme compression rates, say 32kbps or less.

Jim

Message Edited by jimco on 05-19-2008 11:05 PM

2 Posts

May 20th, 2008 15:00

Thank you jimco!  As you suggested, I went to the Dave Taylor site, downloaded SWITCH, and had immediate success.

2.2K Posts

May 21st, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the link. I saw Switch mentioned somewhere else recently, and after reading this thread I decided to try the free version to convert four WMA files to MP3.

Conversion on one file kept truncating about 1/4 second off the beginning, so I tried the SoundTap program as recommended in Help for "Converting Audio Streams or Difficult Files", but that overdubbed the track with an advertizement to purchase the SoundTap program.

I then selected a variable bit-rate MP3 instead of the default in the options. Dunno why, but it worked fine then.

GM

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 21st, 2008 20:00

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that the next time I use the program.

Jim 

No Events found!