Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2017 20:00

Battery on my laptop doesn't hold a charge

First thing.

It would be incredibly helpful for a technologically challenged individual, such as myself, to be able to call Dell and ask a simple question about a product and get a simple answer that doesn't require all the details of my life. Just a simple phone number with a human with good English skills would be great.  The term KISS is incredibly applicable here.

Now, I am living in Asia.  I have a 14 month old Dell laptop computer that doesn't hold a charge.  I start to lose power virtually immediately.  My guess is I need a new battery.  Can I get some input, please?  Happy Holidays.

Jim Krugh

If someone from Dell, responds please do not come back with a *** kissing apology.  Just fix the problem.

• 

16.9K Posts

December 12th, 2017 07:00

JIM KRUGH,

Can you post the system model and OS installed?  Most laptop batteries have a life expectancy of two years or 400 to 450 charge and discharge cycles. After this time, the battery may lose the ability to charge or to hold a charge for substantial periods of time. When this happens, it's likely the battery needs replacement.

• Unplug for a few minutes, then try a different outlet. ...
  • Examine the cord. ...
  • Inspect the connection. ...
  • Restart the computer, removing the battery in between. ...
  • Let the computer cool down. ...
  • Start up your laptop without a battery. ...
  • Replace the charger.

Check the AC adapter brick and verify that any removable cords are fully inserted. Next, make sure that the battery is properly seated in its compartment, and that there is nothing wrong with either the battery or laptop contact points.

How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues

How to Resolve Battery and AC Adapter Issues on Your Dell Portable Computer

How to improve your Dell laptop's battery performance

No Events found!