Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

18 Posts

January 12th, 2004 13:00

BIOS - "AC power adapter can not be determind"

I have an Inspiron 8600 which displayed the above message two weeks after delivery for no apparent reason. I treat the computer like a baby.
The data communications to the power supply seems to just fail. I have spent 4 weeks with technical support and finally they are sending a new AC power adpater.

The real solution to this problem is for someone to modify the BIOS (hint, hint, Mr. Dell) and remove the checks performed on the power adpater - all problems solved.

This would make MANY current Dell customers very happy and would convert me back to a Dell customer again. I will never buy another Dell computer again until this sort of "protection" (used loosely) has been removed from their computers.

This BIOS checking causes the following problems :
(1) The computer is forced to run at it's slowest possible speed (i.e. 600MHz instead of 1.7GHz in my case).
(2) The battery will not be charged.
(3) You cannot use the computer in a car or an airplane at full speed, only it's slowest speed.

I find this situation intolerable, as do many other customers who probably have also spent hours going through these forums and contact with technical support to try to find a solution.

Please, please fix the BIOS!!

P.S. Yes, I posted this message in two forums. The real solution is a BIOS fix.

2.6K Posts

January 12th, 2004 20:00

Thanks for the suggestion, Mainframe2.

18 Posts

January 13th, 2004 07:00

You are most welcome.

One other partial solution to this problem would be to supply a small utility to switch the CPU to high speed mode, overriding the BIOS. This would at least allow the computer to run at full speed at all times and allow Windows to perform power management as needed.

An extract from the Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M documentation :
7.3 Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
The Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M, when used in conjunction with the requisite Intel SpeedStep? technology applet or its equivalent, supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology allows the processor to switch between two core frequencies automatically based on CPU demand, without having to reset the processor or change the system bus frequency. The processor has two bus ratios and voltages programmed into it instead of one and the GHI# signal controls which bus ratio and voltage is used. After reset, the processor will start in the lower of its two core frequencies, the “Battery Optimized” mode. An operating mode transition to the high core frequency can be made by setting GHI# low, putting the processor into the Deep Sleep state, regulating to the new VID output, and returning to the Normal state. This puts the processor into the high core frequency, or “Maximum Performance” operating mode.

This PDF document can be found on the Intel web site and can be freely downloaded.

The problem is that the control of the CPU signals is performed by the BIOS and this control is not documented by Dell, otherwise I could write the utility myself in about 1/2 an hour.

The above partial solution does not solve the battery charging problem, but would at least allow the notebook to be used at high speed at all times.

7.3K Posts

January 13th, 2004 18:00

SpeedSwitchXP should accomplish that.  Linked below.

Message Edited by johnallg on 01-13-2004 03:53 PM

18 Posts

January 13th, 2004 19:00

SpeedSwitchXP cannot change the CPU core frequency, I have tried it without success.

SpeedSwitchXP allows setting CPU speeds by altering the operating voltage of the CPU via calls to the Windows ACPI. The CPU must first be running at a high core frequency before it can be useful.

If the CPU core frequency is set at 600MHz say, then all programs like SpeedSwitchXP can do is call the ACPI to "throttle" the CPU to LOWER speeds, not higher speeds. In other words you cannot set a throttle of more than 100%. The reason for this is to control CPU heating, battery usage and power consumption.
If the CPU core frequency has been set to high speed perfomance mode (i.e. 1.7GHz), then SpeedSwitchXP can be used to force the processor to REMAIN at the high frequency without throttling and that is all.

If I am mistaken about the technical details of how SpeedSwitchXP and/or the ACPI functions please let me know.

January 24th, 2004 23:00

There was a related thread on the problem of external adapters not charging the battery.  One such thread is "Auto Air adapter wont charge battery due to Dell proprietary comms chip" at:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_periph&message.id=5150

Because of this, each time I coil up the power cable, I am now afraid of bending the dell power adapter wire in case the wire breaks inside the cable.  If it breaks, then I will have to have a week's delay to buy a new adapter from Dell instead of just using a 3rd party power adapter.easily gotten from a retail store.

Message Edited by i8600 on 01-24-2004 05:03 PM

18 Posts

January 25th, 2004 19:00

Hi i8600,
I read the thread you mentioned and this problem is not only due to auto/air adapters, but faulty power supplies (where the Wattage/Voltage is correct, but the power supply data comms. is stuffed) and also simple problems on the motherboard with the power supply data comms.

I have been trying to find a software solution (at least to be able to run the CPU at full speed no matter what power is coming into the computer), but I have been unsuccessful.

I would be happy enough with a partial solution where the BIOS would at least allow a temporary switch to high speed mode while an illegal and/or faulty and/or air/auto adapter is plugged in, but obviously Dell has made the decision to not permit it.

If anyone knows a way to switch an Intel processor to high speed mode please let us all know. SpeedSwitchXP cannot do this by the way.

If an offical Dell solution is not made soon, this will be my last Dell (what a shame that company policy can make so many people so angry without any need for it).

January 25th, 2004 20:00

Your problem sounds like the famous "WRONG adapter detected "on the inspiron 8200 .

The only Dell solution is to sell you a new motherboard . Very soon they could offer to replace the computer because it's simple !

No Events found!