Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2017 08:00

BIOS BOOT SEQUENCE - USB drive not appearing.

I have cloned my laptop's C drive to an external SSD drive that was attached at the USB port. I know that the clone worked, because I can see the SSD's file structure in Windows Explorer. Also, I think this proves that the USB port is functioning properly.

I shutdown the PC and rebooted with the SSD external drive attached, and pressed F12 to get to the BIOS settings menu. The BIOS menu appeared, as expected. I then went to Boot Sequence, but the USB drive wasn't displayed--only Windows Boot Manager and the laptop's C drive. I repeated the sequence and pressed F2 at startup, but the USB drive is still absent from the Boot Sequence screen. Finally, I plugged the external drive into the second USB port on my laptop, but the results were the same.

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Steve J

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 25th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

Please enter 'Preparing one time boot menu (F12 key)' again and select the device under UEFI BOOT that matches your media type (external drive).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Is the system in UEFI mode and is the disc GPT?  If it is, the cloned drive will have the same disc serial number -- you can't attach two cloned drives to the system at the same time.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you don't see the external drive, I suggest you enter the BIOS setup, open the boot option and then select the external drive as the first boot device. Note: You'll have to disable Secure boot.

4 Posts

January 25th, 2017 14:00

Thank you very much for your fast reply. The laptop is UEFI, and the external SSD is MBR. In this case, shouldn't I be trouble free?

Best regards,

Steve J.

4 Posts

January 25th, 2017 14:00

Thank you for your quick reply. You are right about Windows 10. I do know how to enter the BIOS settings, but the external drive is not showing. If I shut the PC, plug in a little recovery flash drive, start up and press F12, I do see the flash drive listed and I can change the boot order. But if I repeat the same steps, but instead of the small flash drive I plug in the external SSD that is a clone of the PC's C drive, it is not listed in the BIOS.

But, thank you for trying.

Steve J.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2017 07:00

I tried disabling Secure Boot, as you suggested, but the problem remains.

Thank you so much for your participation and suggestions.

No Events found!