Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2016 05:00

AC Adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

My daughters laptop is an Inspiron 14-3452 ( 3000 series ). We got it recently in November during the Black Friday sales at Best Buy, so its not very old.

The error the laptop has been getting is;

"The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.The battery may not charge.
The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.
Please connect a Dell 45 W AC adapter or greater for the best system performance."

Sure enough, we got "plugged in, not charging."

The AC adaptor that came with the laptop IS a Dell 45 W AC adapter. The green light on the brick is still on, we've plugged it into various outlets, and after checking the battery status itself, its in excellent condition. Both seem to be fine separately, but don't work together. We've done all the tips and tricks and none of them work.

Does this mean the charger is dead? Or is her laptop (battery, charging port, etc..) messed up? Do we get another Dell 45 W AC adapter, or one of higher wattage? What wattage would be recommended? Is getting a charger for it as easy as just looking for a "Dell [ wattage number ] W AC Adapter", or are there more things that need to coincide with the current adapter to ensure it works with our model of laptop?

If a new charger is required, how long can the computer last without it? The charge level stays as is while its plugged in, so while its not charging, its not decreasing either. I'm not sure when I can buy another charger, or when I can see if our warranty covers it. Will having the computer continue to run like this have lasting negative effects?

Thank you for your time.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2016 15:00

:emotion-2:

The Dell 45 W AC adapter is correct for the Inspiron 3452. The LED showing a solid green indicate the ac adapter is good. You can check status of the ac adapter and battery in the BIOS by tapping the F2 key.

1.Turn off

2. Power on laptop, quickly tap the F2 key continuously, you should see the BIOS.

I also like to suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS) on your computer. Please click on the link and follow the steps in the video:

www.youtube.com/watch

1 Message

February 3rd, 2016 15:00

I've just been dealing with this on my Inspiron 15-5547 and after a lot of online reading—and even some cutting-open of my adapter—I gave in and have ordered a replacement adapter (same wattage as original) directly from Dell for $90CAD. It's en route to me at present.

My hope is that the newer, "redesigned" model is an improvement in both function and compactness, but I can confirm that many others have run into this issue and a replacement adapter isn't always the solution (in my case, if it isn't, the next step is to open up the laptop to see if the power jack is properly soldered... ay carumba).

I decided to provide this info, and take a moment to express frustration that, on top of this peculiar situation, my system does in fact run slower while plugged in with the seemingly faulty Dell adapter. I find this _nefarious_

February 4th, 2016 01:00

Hi

You can check adapter follow guide:

1. Plug in Adapter, Battery to laptop, Turn on laptop, then press F12

2. Choose Diagnostic

3. Press "Y" when you see test colour program

4. You seeking "AC Adapter" line

- If AC Adapter Status: 45W >> Adapter is work well

- If AC Adapter Status: Unknow / 225W >> Adapter is faulier, maybe you need new one

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 4th, 2016 05:00

It isn't clear why you'd purchase a new adapter when the system must be under warranty.  You should simply contact Dell (or BestBuy) for warranty service on the system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 8th, 2016 12:00

" We actually cant find the warranty information for the laptop "

:emotion-2:

Please click on the link below to check for any warranty on the computer. If there's warranty, contact Dell at 1-800-288-4410 or if there isn't  a warranty contact Dell technical support at 1-800-624-9896.

Warranty Status:

www.dell.com/.../products;

2 Posts

February 8th, 2016 12:00

Pardon my late reply. The computer wouldn't power on for a few days and I couldn't do anything about it. We actually cant find the warranty information for the laptop, which will end up with me probably simply buying one out of pocket.

But, seeing as the system wouldn't power on at all, this leads me to believe there is a problem with the actual laptop system rather than just the adapter. Thank you for your time.

No Events found!