Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2015 08:00

AC Adapter not being detected

Hello, 

My Laptop is a Dell XPS (model number I cannot find) and I've been having a bit of trouble. I yesterday received a new 130W Charger from Dell to replace my ailing one (the wires are becoming exposed). In terms of looks and description on the adapter, it appears to be exactly the same as my previous one. However, whenever I boot up my laptop now, I get an error message along the lines of: "AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system performance will be affected. Please connect a Dell 130W AC adapter or higher for best system operation".

I press F2 to go into the BIOS (I think that's what it is?) and go down to the adapter settings, and indeed, it says 'Unknown'. 

The laptop charges just fine, but I have indeed experienced performance drops since using the new charger. Anything i can do to fix this?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 4th, 2015 09:00

If the new adapter hasn't helped, next would be to replace the DC jack inside the system (on most of the ones built in the last few years it's on a plug-in card or cable).   If you want to know which part to order, determine the exact model number (it'll be on the BIOS screen at powerup) and post that.

If the jack replacement doesn't help, the mainboard will need to be replaced.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2015 12:00

Just update the latest bios at dell.com/support and pls. make sure that the AC adapter watts is compatible with the system if issue persist contact dell for warranty

No Events found!