Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2019 17:00

Inspirion 5558 won't power on, just shows LED blink code

The right hinge screw wells on my Dell Inspirion 5558 laptop broke so I replaced the back lid and afterwards the laptop would not power on. The power LED just blinks some kind of code which I don't understand. Can someone take a look at my video and clue me in to what it's trying to tell me?

In the video the battery is removed so the laptop is only running off of the power cord. I had tried removing and re-seating the video cable but that made no difference. I didn't disassemble any other part of the laptop to replace the back lid, I only separated the screen from the back lid so I could replace it.

22 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 15:00

It was definitely a bad video screen cable. The new video cable arrived, I installed it, and the laptop is working again.

591 Posts

March 26th, 2019 01:00

Hello,

Have a look at the following image it contains led flashing patterns along with there meaning

patterns.PNG

22 Posts

March 26th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for the reply and that chart. Were you able to tell what the blinking pattern was from my video? To me the blinking seems very inconsistent and I don't see a repeating pattern.

591 Posts

March 26th, 2019 12:00

Hello,

I have the impression it is 2,7 (LCD failure) i would try to run the BIST (LCD build in self test) like this

1. shutdown the laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external connected hardware.
  3. Make sure the lcd screen is clean (no dust etc).
  4. Press and hold the D key while you start the laptop.
  5. On the screen should be all kind of colors (RGB).
  6. Check the screen for issues.
  7. press esc to exit this test

another thing you can try is get to ePSA (Dell diagnostics) with your laptop shutdown hold down FN and press the power button does this work ?.

22 Posts

March 26th, 2019 23:00

Unfortunately neither of those worked. There is zero sign of life when pressing the power button, no beeps or fans trying to spin up or anything. I pulled out the CMOS battery and let it sit for like 20-30 minutes. When I put it back and plugged it in I now get different blinking:

https://youtu.be/IK52bayY6ds

LCD Failure does seem like the most likely cause to me since the video cable is exposed during the procedure. Maybe it got tugged in such a way that something broke inside the wire. They aren't too expensive so maybe I'll just try replacing it.

591 Posts

March 27th, 2019 01:00

Hi,
Yes most likely there is something wrong with the LCD i'm starting to think your device got damaged while you worked on it did you wear an ESD (elektro static discharge) wrist wrap ? or did you ground yourself by touching a metal piece of the laptop case every x seconds.The human body generates elektricity those little schocks you feel sometimes while you shake somebody's hand that can be enough to damage hardware components however here's a link where you can find spare Dell parts for inspiron 5558 here it is

591 Posts

March 27th, 2019 03:00

Hello,

I found something that could help you in getting to read what your laptop is trying to tell you via that flashing led look here

No Events found!