Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2019 22:00

Windows USB Clean Install - A media driver your computer needs is missing

Hi

The (only) hard drive in my Inspiron 2350 died so I replaced it with a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I am trying to install Windows to the SSD from a USB 3.0 stick. Neither the install downloaded from Microsoft, nor the recovery image downloaded from Dell works. In both cases Setup pops up a windows asking me to locate drivers. It says:

A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.

Does anyone know what drivers it needs?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2019 22:00

You cannot use usb3 stick.

USB3 Optical Drives are also not supported.

Must be onboard SATA AHCI drive or USB 2.0 optical drive.

The solution below works in ALL DELLS ALL MODELS From 2006 all the way thru to 2019 for F12 secure boot off boot and clean install.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

You must either use OEM DVD or USB 2.0 stick that is at least 16 gigs and no more than 32 gigs.

SDXC EXFAT media is not supported.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-installation-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350237

LEGACY MBR Booting is no longer an option EVER for internal drives.

Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) with WIN7 MBR is no longer an option.

F6 Mass storage Drivers are REQUIRED to "SEE" the drive to install on.

The latest versions do not work on older hardware.

Some machines will need 10.1.0.1008

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20104/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-RAID-for-Intel-5-Series-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 17.0.2.1076 WHQL

Serial-ATA Driver 4YCWF WN64 17.0.2.1076 A00 01.EXE

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Version: 17.2.0.1009 (Latest) Date: 3/15/2019

These have to be extracted onto the root of the USB flash drive you are installing with.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4ycwf

You cannot point to a zip or exe file it must be extracted.

One way to do this is rename the exe to .zip and use 7zip to extract the files.

Then copy the windows 10 files to the root of the usb flash drive.

Load Driver to see drive.Load Driver to see drive.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05409002M/2/Serial-ATA_Driver_4YCWF_WN64_17.0.2.1076_A00_01.EXE

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 01:00

Yep it worked fine on a USB 2 stick.

Thank you very much for your help.

2.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2019 06:00

the fact is not all USB flash memory sticks are the same.

this post shows the radical difference in the 2 RST drivers from Intel.,  2015 and 2019,  not  sure why or  depth.

some are UEFI only sticks, some in fact were sold that only work for windows 8 and in secureboot UEFI mode.

Sandisk made some of these , have one, (I got rid of it , exchanged)

so the best choice is use the cheapest, stick sized pers MS.com words, 16GB up. is typ,.

and boot to a USB2 port, as many PC made (vast) do not boot to any USB3 port, due to lame BIOS.

Some PCs later had a BIOS update the cured that lameness.

nice tip there on putting the F6 RST drivers on root of stick. but why? on this PC?

seems odd Microsoft , ISO Window 10-64 bit build 1809 dropped those drivers,  so very odd that.

I guess its Intel ending support  on series 8 RST ,wow. that be painful.

I see that link there shows, intel RST series 5 has dropped w10 support,  thanks for that tip. too.

actual Mobile Intel HM87 Express, is in fact Series 8  and 2013 made.(first) its not chopped liver (LOL)

the chip has 6 USB3 ports. (2 are LIMITED)

Another common issues, on SOME PC, are the USB port and SATA ports sharing, per data sheet,HM87

this can be the SATA port only works with and optical drive, and not SSD, (so don't use this optical drive slot)

when installing any OS, use HHD0( aka. SSD0) use that first. if that works be happy.

the w10 RST driver txt file shows this.

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release is designed to provide
functionality for the following Storage Controllers:
    - Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
    - Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

newest version of this driver is here

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?v=t

I'd find it hard to believe Microsoft 1809  ISO misses this very common driver.

the newer driver shows this; in the text file for it.

* 1.  SUPPORTED Products/CHIPSETS
This Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Release is designed to provide functionality
for the following Storage Controllers:
 - Intel® 300/240 Series Chipset Family:
  Desktop, High End Desktop (HEDT), Workstation (WS)
   - Intel® H310 Chipset   - Intel® H370 Chipset
   - Intel® Z390 Chipset   - Intel® Q370 Chipset
   - Intel® B365 Chipset   - Intel® B360 Chipset
      - Intel® C246 Chipset(WS)

Mobile Halo
   - Intel® QM370 Chipset   - Intel® HM370 Chipset
   - Intel® CM246 Chipset

- Intel(R) 8th Generation Core Processor Family I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
   Mobile Low Power (LP)
   - Premium-U
   - Base-U

- Intel(R) 200 Series (with X299/Z370) Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
   - Intel® Z370 Chipset

- Intel(R) 8th Generation Core Processor Family I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
   - Base-U
   - Premium-U
   - Premium-Y

- Intel(R) 200 Series (with X299) Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
   - Intel® Z270 Chipset - Intel® Q250 Chipset
   - Intel® Q270 Chipset - Intel® B250 Chipset
   - Intel® X299 Chipset (HEDT) - Intel® H270 Chipset
 - Intel(R) 7th Generation Core Processor Family I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
   - Base-U
   - Premium-U
   - Premium-Y
 - Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI/RAID Controller
   - Intel® QM175 Chipset
   - Intel® HM175 Chipset
   - Intel® CM238 Chipset
   - Intel® CM236 Chipset(WS)

other  say

the only W10 RST drivers Intel released are for those platforms with the 4th gen processors and newer.

eg i5-4xxx,  never older generations supported. now by intel > MS. 

if you  use the ethernet cable during and install, and say yes to allow the installer to do updates during install

it may find these and just work.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=hm87

but as you see it is Version: 14.8.0.1042 (Previously Released) Date: 12/14/2015 

not the new one 3/2019 . so MS is BEHIND.

35 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 06:00

@speedstep 

Are you saying you can not use a 3.0 stick to reinstall windows on any Dell, including a 2019 Inspiron 3670?

35 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 07:00

I was just curious because I just reinstalled windows using a 3.0 stick in a 3.0 USB port on my 3670. It worked fine, and only took about 10 minutes. Not sure I actually got the 3.0 speeds, but the stick did work.

This is the 3.0 stick I used (Amazon):  PNY Turbo 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - P-FD32GTBOP-GE

2.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2019 07:00

IACro

thanks for the data point ! and that the USB3 ports do boot ok, some sticks brands, can fail.!

so that proves the ACHI mode Hm87 driver in your MS> ISO is good.  as expected ! v1809"?

only the problems left are of SSD remains, and if all SATA ports fail on the SSD.

and if the SSD is really erased (I use killdisk.exe or any like kind utility to do that)

the OP USB stick works, it in fact boots, and runs and even shows the SSD is  missing (we all know that means it missing, or is not empty, MS blocks installs for non empty drivers, (target) to protect data)

or means using wrong SATA port ! best is a fully erased SSD, no format there, zero format.

if 100% erased MS installer will see it.  (what peeves me for years is MS not putting to the screen

"alien format or alien data seen on that DRIVE" and is now  grayed out and disabled.

or the version of your w10 is  wrong, 1809 is new, there are 7 versions. 1507 up. so always use the most current ISO from MS, and do so using there tool to build it after all that tool in fact checks for download corruption

and then burns the  stick , after MD5/ passes .  not before. Use this  burn tool and not RUFUS, that I like.

see this HM87 port limits , intel. at the first sign of trouble avoid the 4 port below, oK> and m.2 limits related o SATA.

hm87.JPG

thanks for contributing to w10 + this PC installs.

1:erase the drive SSD  100% (I use killdisk.exe free (1 pass of 0) but any good partition APP works)

2: use only HDD0 port , some dells even stamp the metal like that, and use SATA port 0 only

3: if PC has M.2 ports, make sure it does not contend with SATA port 0.  very tricky this is.... RTM./

3: use the most current version of MS W10 1809.

4: the SSD shows up now?. at PC booted to USB installer media, USB 2 ports are the best (if troubles) if present. the OP had no trouble at all booting sticks so … is off topic. imo

5: have the ethernet cat5 to Router connected to MS can find drivers faster, less problems. Your router firewall is closed and you are safe.

that is my list hope it helps someone.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 23rd, 2019 04:00

USB3 uses different Protocols than USB2.

Several Iterations of windows DO NOT INSTALL or STOP 7B i cannot find any disks mode. This error shows up in many ways.  Inaccessable Boot Device

Lets be Cryptic and Frustrate you so that you throw your computer awayLets be Cryptic and Frustrate you so that you throw your computer away

When you are set to AHCI  and use USB 2.0 OPTICAL Drive this error DOES NOT HAPPEN.  Doesnt matter if its a 2006 Optiplex GX620 or a 2019  Dell G7 7588 laptop.  Doesnt matter if you are installing on hard drive or 2.5 SSD or M2 Disk.

This Drive Just Works.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

This Disk Just Works.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-installation-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350237

Secure boot OFF  F12 Boot from the disk.  Install Done. End of story.

DOH!DOH!

DOH!DOH!

WINDOWS 7BWINDOWS 7B

No Events found!