Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2008 00:00

Unable to Play Any Games on Vista

Whenever I try to play anygames on my Windows Vista OS computer the screen either goes black or goes into power saving mode by itself, or the screen goes blue and I see white lines going straight down from the top of the screen, and in all of the circumstances I try pressing the window key or control alt delete or alt F4 or alt tab and i cant exit the games at all. Can someone please help me? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 6th, 2008 09:00

Vista can play games as long as they are compatible with your PC hardware and/or Vista or maybe if you can run the game in a compatibility mode. 

You should first start with the gaming section of the forum and include what games you are trying to play so the gamers can help you with that to start with.

If the Video on the PC works with everything else, it's not a Video hardware problem (this forum section).

October 6th, 2008 10:00

But I've tried six different games and I used systemrequirementslab.com to make sure their compatible and they all have the same problem.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 6th, 2008 11:00

Repost as suggested in the gaming section.  That is the first place, on this forum, to start.

1.7K Posts

October 6th, 2008 13:00

I have not had any issues with games on Vista as of yet.  You can try right clicking on the game exe. icon and click "Run As Administrator" to see if that has any effect.  If not, try running the game in the "Windows XP SP2" compatibility mode and see what results you may get.  Right click the game icon and go to properties and then click the compatibility tab and choose to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2).

October 6th, 2008 19:00

I've tried changing it to be compatible for Windows XP SP 2 and run as administrator but it still does not work.

1.7K Posts

October 6th, 2008 21:00

Is everything else running correctly on your computer and you're just having these problems when playing games?  Did the HD 3650 come with your computer or did you put it in after?  Is your computer still under warranty?  We really need to know what games you are trying to play.  If you want to post them under the Gaming Talk forum under discussions you can. 

October 6th, 2008 21:00

the games i've tried are Star Trek Bridge Commander, Star Wars Empire at War, and its expansion(forces of corruption) Neverwinter Nights, Soldierfront, Spider-Man 3, and Star Wars Jedi Academy. Everything else works perfectly(not games) like surfing the web, typing documents, watching movies etc its just any game that requires going to full screen, causes the screen to either go into power saving mode, or go black and nothing works, I've contacted dell support and chatted with them online twice but still the error occurs

1.7K Posts

October 7th, 2008 19:00

There is always the possibility that some of these older games will just not work on Vista.  Some games will have patches to make them work so you could look for that.  I actually have one of your games mentioned (Star Wars Jedi Academy) but I have not tried it on Vista.  I had it on an XP computer previously.  Vista does have a game compatibility site showing games that are compatible and games that are not.  Of the games you have, it showed that Spider-Man 3 was compatible but for the others it was unclear.  Some game manufacturers will recommend disabling all of the background processes from running through your Task Manager in order to get a game working properly.  Also, some of these game publishers have good support sites and can be contacted at no cost or will have FAQ's to help.  I have contacted the game publishers before when things were not working correctly and they have been able to fix the problem. 

Some of these games could possibly run on integrated graphics.  You could pull the card out and try it to see if it works.  If so, you could have an issue with your card and there is also the possibility that some games just do not work on the ATI card.  If I were you, I would download a more recent game demo and see if you have any issues playing it.   Game Demos

October 7th, 2008 20:00

Ok thank you very much I'll try what you suggested and get back to you, and I called a different department of dell yesterday and they said that with my computer I should be able to play almost any game on my computer, and they said it might be a just a problem with a setting or something that I have to tweak, but I didn't really understand what he mean't by that so can yu tell me everything that I can "tweak" thanks :D

October 7th, 2008 21:00

Lilmandoboy26, I work with the Windows Outreach Team, and would like to suggest that you check here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Default.aspx  and see if your games are listed on our official compatibility website.
RickR

October 7th, 2008 21:00

Thanks for the link I'll check on it now. Ok Star Wars Empire at War is unknown, Spider-man 3 is compatible, soldierfront is not listed, Neverwinter Nights is unknown, Empire at War:Forces of Corruption is compatible, and Star Trek Bridge Commander is not listed.

October 7th, 2008 22:00

I just checked the Neverwinter Nights website and I think it might be the Timeout Detection and Recovery(TDR) its a new device on vista, and what it causes seems to be the same thing that happens to my computer, I'm trying to find a way to fix it but so far no luck :smileysad:

October 16th, 2008 19:00

Bump
No Events found!