Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 30th, 2006 19:00

Re-installing original Directx 8.1 drivers before upgrading again to 9.0c , MISSING D3D8.DLL FILE !!

Dear all,

Who can assist me with this huge DIRECTX problem !

I have a missing system DLL file in my current Directx 9.0 C . I tried reinstalling 9.0C but I keep getting the same error over and over , missing system DLL file. So I decided to check with colleagues and on the Internet and Microsoft and found out that I needed to first REINSTALL the original directx 8.1 drivers from my Windows XP Home Edition cd.........but 1 needed file ( d3d8.dll)  is not there which i really need for my UNINSTALL/REINSTALL  TOOL  !

I tried to rollback my original directx 8.1 files from my Windows XP Home Edition cd ( the CD which came with my original DELL Dimension 8200 computer ) but I keep getting errors that the file d3d8.dll can not be found nor extracted and that that I need to be really sure that I am using the Microsoft Windows XP edition CD.

Well, this CD is indeed the original Dell  Windows XP home edition  ..

So how can I find the original directx 8.1 files if my Windows XP Home Edition CD does'nt recognize them at all ?

I really need to rollback to directx 8.1 first before I can upgrade again to DX 9.0C  which I basically need for my latest PC games.

What to do now ?

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/28/2006, 00:28:08
         Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
          Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
      System Model: Dimension 8200              
              BIOS: Default System BIOS
         Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
            Memory: 384MB RAM
         Page File: 275MB used, 1072MB available
       Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
   DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
 DirectX Files Tab: The file system.dll is missing! You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

Message Edited by jaapkrull on 01-30-2006 04:21 PM

12 Posts

January 30th, 2006 19:00

Have you tried going to microsoft and downloading a copy of directx 8.1?

11 Posts

January 30th, 2006 20:00

Yes I tried that already but then I get other errors like "you have a newer version of directx already installed", so that doesnt work either.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2006 23:00

Install Directx 8.1.b

http://download.microsoft.com/download/DirectX/Install/8.1b/W982KMe/EN-US/dx81bredist.exe

You wont be able to do this AFTER installing Directx 9.0c

11 Posts

January 31st, 2006 06:00

So I first need to DL directx 9.0c ( which somehow doesnt seem to work anymore ) and only then I will be able to install these 8.1 drivers ?

11 Posts

January 31st, 2006 08:00

Directx 9.0c is already installed on my PC  ( but with a missing SYSTEM DLL FILE )

And when I try to re-install Directx 8.1 via the link you sent me I get the following errormessage when unpacking/unzipping >>

Warning: name not matched: C:\Documents and Settings\jaap.JAAPSABINE\Local Settings\Temp\IXP001.TMP\DX81BR~1.EXE

Error: No files were found for this action that match your criteria - nothing to do. (C:\Documents and Settings\jaap.JAAPSABINE\Local Settings\Temp\IXP001.TMP\directx8.1.zip)

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/31/2006, 11:00:33
       Machine name: JAAPSABINE
   Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
          Page File: 291MB used, 1054MB available

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: The file system.dll is missing! You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

11 Posts

January 31st, 2006 12:00

I was finally able ( after 8 hours searching, reinstalling, updating and rebooting ) to correctly download and install Directx 9.0B ( no dll errors ) via a game called RTW which had the dx 9.0b drivers included in their game, that worked !

But somehow I am not able anymore now to install DX 9.0C as planned.  I can download the needed files from Micrsosoft but every time I unpack and try to install those drivers then the system sais SYSTEM UPDATED TO DIRECTX 9.0C    but when I restart this is NOT viewable anywhere in the DX Diagnostics.

Can anyone advise please what i can do now to really install dx 9.0c ? Do i really need to buy or download a GAME that has DX 9.0c and will that overwrite dx9.0b when instaliing that game  ???

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/31/2006, 14:02:23
          Page File: 229MB used, 1117MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
      Display Tab 1: No problems found

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Music Tab: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
        Network Tab: No problems found..

Message Edited by jaapkrull on 02-09-2006 09:00 AM

11 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 13:00

I was finally able to get DX9.0C installed correctly and no files are missing anymore, no DLL errors .... BUT.....

I still can not play PC games anymore because every time I start a game ( tried 5 different games from RTW to Age of Empires 3 to Empire Earth 2 ) the game freezes and I cant do anything but reboot the PC. I get red flickering flashes on my screen when starting games.....so so sooooo annoying !

This whole DX issue on my PC started when I had downloaded the new demo of Star Wars: Empire at War , since I played that game suddenly all my dx settings got mixed up and games were totally unplayable suddenly.

My Geforce TI4600 card has the newest drivers 81.98 and all other specs are uptodate with the latest drivers.....who might be able to help me here ???

5 Posts

February 9th, 2006 12:00

I have the exact same issue.. I removed my directx c using a utilty prmg.. because of an error file missing system.dll... I an also having problems updating my NVIDIA drivers from 66.93 to the 81.98 and I can't remove or add the card back in.. have to restore system to get it back..

But..  when I went back to 8.1 I was unable to reload behond 9b   it still thinks 9c is installed  how did you get directx 9c reloaded??

Thanks

Bob G

Dim 8200..533 FSB, 850e chipset.. 3.06 P4 with 1g memory  XP Home SP2

11 Posts

February 9th, 2006 12:00

Gabby,

Somehow nobody reacts anymore to my questions on this DX issue and me not being able to play games anymore.....not even DELL employees on this site....they all remain silent and dont bother to answer my questions anymore  !

Are YOU able to play games by the way ?

I have finally reinstalled directx 9.0c via the Uninstall tool from Happy Uninstall and I had uninstalled Windows Service Pack 2 , then it automatically reinstalls dx 8.1 to your pc.
Then when you reinstall SP2 it should reinstall DX9.0c

But nothing helped for me ...in my case I still can NOT play games , everything else works super on my Dell PC but whenever starting games the PC freezes......

Page File: 245MB used, 1098MB available
Windows Dir: C :\ WINDOWS
DX Setup Parameters: None

Message Edited by jaapkrull on 02-09-2006 09:01 AM

5 Posts

February 9th, 2006 14:00

Hello,

Yes.. I can play games.. Doom3 and Doom3 ROE run good. But.. I noted that I'm unable to upgrade my current NVIDIA drivers anymore as well add new video card. I got a geforce 6200 for cheap and when I tried to install that's when I found I had a problem. It was probly like that for about a year.. I couldn't even restore the current Geforce 5200 once I remove it... and yes Dell gave me help and we did it all.. NVRAM reset, driver cleaners.. no help. But I did find a program that removed directx and put back my original 8.1 .. but the system still would accept a 9c install. I was only able to do up to 9b... and that had some errors.

Now you used the happy uninstall... did it remove SP2 or did it tell you to?? and how did you get back to SP1.. don't tell me you had to reinstall from the original Dell CD.. That means losing all your files and reinstalling and reformat hard drive .... yuck!!

Let me know how you remove SP2 .. I'm hoping that its not that complex.. I know 9c is causing the problem.. but if the system has to be reloaded from original dell.. then I leave it... my games work well and the system runs fine.. but I am stuck with the current video configuration and drivers... Dell said I would have to reload windows xp but I'm looking for other ways.. If that's what I need to do then I'll have to buy one of those external hard drives and back this thing up with 3 years worth of stuff..

Thanks for your response.... I too have been going crazy on this one with little help from anyone.....

Gabby

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2006 09:00

XP SP2 includes directx 9.0c and NVIDIA 56.72 WHQL drivers.

The fix for corrupted registry is called reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Thats not a dell issue.

56.72 supports up to Geforce FX5900.

XPSP2 doesnt include MSJVM and doesnt include intel INDEO codec.
Ligos Sells the codec now.

Many things were REMOVED from XPSP2 because microsoft is not allowed to steal others work and keep using it in their products aka they dont want to pay royalties to software vendors.

WANG IMAGING is another part thats Missing from XP thats in all windows up to WIN2000.

One way to keep these features is to upgrade the install from XP or 2000 or WIN98SE
No Events found!