Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2012 20:00

Processor temperature

I have an inspiron 580 desktop, the cpu is an i5 650 3.2 ghz

on both hwmonitor and speedfan, it appears the processor is running at over 80 c on idle. the fan isn't making noise and the temps on the hard drive and gpu are 30 c and 50 c respectively. is the cpu roasting or are the readings erroneous?

Thanks

893 Posts

December 15th, 2012 18:00

I am on cell phone, so cannot provide you with link. Google OCCT, install latest version - it is excellent monitoring program, while running it on background you can see you lowest, current and maximum temperatures for CPU (marked) GPU and motherboard (not really designated in OCCT), it also provides all fans speeds. Please make a screen shot and post it here (you will have to tweak settings first, to enable certain parameters, and disable voltage monitoring). Last question, when the last time you dusted/vacuum your PC last? If never, open the case, you might find it full of dust and crap - this alone might increase temperatures!

893 Posts

December 16th, 2012 21:00

First, now you can see that software cannot control fan speeds. Second, open the case with PC working and see if any fans are dead, third, while the case is open run the same stress test and post results, and lastly, turn off PC, open case, get vacuum cleaner and can of compressed air, spray and vacuum off dust especially from CPU cooler.

more info: the max temperature is apparently 94 degrees celsius even when under load i.e playing games - i haven't tried any other processor intensive things like malware scans recently. the cpu fan is staying around 1666-1839 rpm and the fastest it's gotten is 2872. the machine's never shut itself down

3.3K Posts

Hi,

Use the computer in safe mode with networking (restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select safe mode with networking).Check the temperature while in safe mode.

Below picture would help you with the temperature details of the computer.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer to check for any hardware failure and to isolate the issue.

Awaiting your response!

December 15th, 2012 17:00

sorry for taking so long to respond. checked the temperatures in and out of safe mode after restarting and they seem to be more reasonable at between 60-70 degrees. some of the readings in speedfan don't make sense as they list temperatures in the negatives. now i don't know whether to be worried since i'm not sure if a) temperatures in the 60s are too hot and b) if there is in fact something screwy about my hardware sensors.

i'll look into the diagnostics next

December 16th, 2012 15:00

forgot to attach the screenshot:

it looks like my vcore is way too high but i never looked at it before. i don't know how that happened, buti presume the min and max values were taken before i changed anything with speedfan so i'm hoping i didn't screw it up by accident

December 16th, 2012 15:00

i'm not sure what's going on here, if occt is using the hw monitor engine itself - when i go to settings, it lists "built-in (hwmonitor)" as the software.when i run the test the temps seem to shoot up from the 60s to 86 degrees.

after leaving the computer alone for hours and it went into auto sleep/standby, the temperatures were 40-50 c

i think i'm going to open the case soon anyways since i'm going to try and install new hardware, i haven't ever opened it since i bought it two years ago, and it's sitting on a carpet so yeah that's probably the problem

could it help to increase the cpu fan speeds using speedfan?

893 Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

Usually cheap Dells don't have software fan speed control, so I doubt you can increase the fan speed. The only way to check is to tweak OCCT and enable monitoring of fan speed - go to OCCT settings, the button right below OFF and uncheck/unclick all voltages (we don't need them), check everything else - this way you enable fan RPM monitoring, after you done just close settings window by clicking X, this will apply settings. Run 30 minutes CPU any test and post results.

December 16th, 2012 19:00

shouldn't i be concerned about the vcore at 2 v? even reading posts about overclocking it seems even 1.4+ is considered high

893 Posts

December 16th, 2012 19:00

You can be concerned, but worry first about parameters you can change, I doubt your BIOS can change anything. You can control temperatures and fan speeds, so let see if this can be done. VCORE, well, here we need someone like SpeedStep to advice, find any of his replies and send him a pm regarding VCORE, otherwise just relax - you lived 2 years without checking anything...

Now about fan speeds. The only way to control fan speeds is by hardware - you can change your fans for the ones with constant speed, without PWM control, this is the way I choose, also some fans have wired speed controls, this is cumbersome, but it is an option to consider, and lastly there is fan control panels. So those are basically only 3 options you have (most likely). If you in doubt, try to increase fan speed by your software while monitoring with OCCT and see if anything changed.

December 16th, 2012 21:00

i did another test on occt and it turned out the same as before, stopping when it broke 85 c

i tried controlling the fans with speedfan, by changing the pwm percentages and thresholds, but there didn't seem to be any effect and i'm hesistant to go any further since it doesn't save default/backup settings and there's stories about it breaking things

i'll try and open the case within this week, i'm hoping it's just dust or another elementary problem. how would i recognize if there was something off in the hardware, like a loose heat sink?

could spraying with a can of compressed air without opening be worthwhile in the meantime?

thanks for all the help so far

December 21st, 2012 04:00

so i opened the case and there was a patina of dust on the cpu fan, so i sprayed it off, closed the case and the temperatures appear to be normal. i'm stopping the occt test at around 20 mins since it's been staying at 69-74c for a while; it never seems to go over 61c outside of the stress test

many thanks for helping to save my processor from burning away

893 Posts

December 21st, 2012 07:00

Just a comparison: I checked my temperatures with Battlefield 3 and they were a bit lower than OCCT 30 minutes testing, so you know. I do dusting of my PCs at least once every 6 months... And I use strong vacuum cleaner with small nozzle to get as much dust as I can.

And you welcome.

No Events found!