Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 25th, 2008 13:00

Power consumption

I've just ordered 65 Optiplex 755 small form factor PCs. They are to replace the same number of SX280s (SFF).

These PCs are on 24/7/365, although the task they do is low power (but they mustn't hibernate/go into standby etc).

The environment is important in our purchasing decisions, and I wanted to be able to select a PC that is the lowest power consumption. Dell's site didn't seem to provide any help at all in making this decision. I tried HP and neither did theirs.

Can anyone help me calculate what power saving (or growth!) I've made by swapping 65 SX280s with 755 (SFF) that are on 24/7/365, generally low processor activity (but not hibernate/standby)?

Many thanks

Eric

22 Posts

January 25th, 2008 14:00

Thanks for the reply.

The figures they normally quote are in peak power consumption. Sometimes, they can even quote btu/hour!

What I'm actually after is what the idle (but on) real power consumption, in watts, is. I get a horrible feeling that the only way I can get that is to buy one and put a meter on it ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&source=1&DOY=25m1).

And even when I have done that, I still don't know if I've picked the most environmentally friendly PC. It is just such basic information, I can't believe they don't show it for all PCs and let people select a PC based upon it. :smileysad:

2K Posts

January 25th, 2008 14:00

Every electrical product that plugs into the wall must come with a label with either Watts or Amps listed on it.  (Watts are Amps x Volts).  You can directly compare the label ratings of the old and new.

Whereas a vacuum cleaner or heater uses very nearly its entire rating all the time, other devices like washing machines and computers use varying amounts depending on what they're doing.  Harddrives use the most current starting, but they only do it once for a short time.  Optical drives hardly use anything unless they are actually operating.

If the ratings are identical--they likely are--the 755 should be slightly more efficient due to improvements in the CPU. 

22 Posts

January 25th, 2008 15:00

I found this -

All the data for that device is there - in particular, the idle power consumption (45.18 watts) which is wildly different from the power supply rating (220 watts). I just need the figure fo rthe SX280 - I think I might need to put a meter on it.

I just wish this figure was available in the general information, and that I could select a PC based on the lowest idle power.

Message Edited by bb193 on 01-25-2008 05:52 PM

650 Posts

January 25th, 2008 15:00

Well if it helps, the Opti 755 is EnergyStar 4.0 compliant so the PSU is more efficient than the old 280s.  Core2 Duo class CPU's take much less energy than a P4.   I cant see anything taking more energy in a 755.  It would have to be less.

2K Posts

January 25th, 2008 16:00

Yes, idle consumption is always substantially less than peak rating.  The ratios are comparable, favorable to the newer processors which get more done with less power.

You probably save on the order of 15W on the later processor.  X 65, the savings could be on the order of $72/mo.  In an air-conditioned office, multiply that times 2.25, since the heat has to be removed by a system that is no more than 75% efficient.

Forgot about that entirely, didn't you?  Cooling the device costs more than running it.

51 Posts

January 25th, 2008 18:00

Hello,

Why not just measure the difference to be sure?  This little plug-in meter does it all:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

NJGroundHog
No Events found!