Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 21st, 2003 16:00

*** Hardware Malfunction *** NMI - Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

After 4 years of owning a Dell Dimension 8100 I came into the computer this morning and noticed that I had received the above titled subject line. *** Hardware Malfunction *** NMI - Parity Check / Memory Parity Error The system has halted.

Being that this was the first time anything like this has ever happened to my little box I wanted to go ahead and find a proggie to check my modules since I guess one or two of the modules are either going bad or something is wrong. Does any one know of a good testing or diagnostic program to test your rdram or might you have another idea for me to check? Maybe reseat all the modules and or check to see if they are in good enough?

The only think that I have done internally the last few month is about  4 months ago install the powerleap and a 2.4 processor...

Thanks...

Dell Dimension 8100

512 MB RDRAM (4x128)
P4 2.4MHz (Powerleap)
Windows XP Pro SP1
XP2 Bios
Asus Nvidia Geforce 4ti 4200 128Mb 8X AGP
1702FP Monitor
Western Digital 40G Master
Western Digital 120 Slave
Soundblaster LIVE Platinum
Logitech cordless freedom Keyboard & mouse
Pioneer DVD-R 105
Samsung DVD-ROM
Pyro IEEE Webcam
Surfboard SB2100 Cable modem (Yes, cable modem in 1997)
Logic IEEE 1394 OHCI
Canon ZR40 DV video camera
Canon powershot S300 digital camera

28K Posts

June 21st, 2003 16:00

The Dell Diagnostics should be on the Resource CD that came with your computer.  If you can find that, you can download a version that will create the Diagnostics on a set of floppy disks -

Steve

48 Posts

December 23rd, 2003 09:00

Did you find an answer to this problem?

On and off (5 or 6 times) since March I have received the same error message on my 8100.  In March I installed a clean version of XP on reformatted HD.  Is this another case of the E button, which only afflicted Dimenson 8100 computers (no other make or model of computer affected) when XP is installed?

I have run the diagnostic disks CD110910.exe (The Diagnostic CD issued with the computer, would not function) with no memory problems being highlighted.

So which is to be believed the Error Message or the Diagnostics Check?

Derek Nicholson

1.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2003 10:00

Hi,

A cheap way to test rdram is buy 2 continuity modules...

ie. 128mb ram in slot 1 & 2, and a continuity module in 3 & 4, trying a different configuration each time until the error's gone

You could buy them Direct from Dell, or the cheapest would be to buy them off Ebay...

heres the link

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=continuity+modules

hope this helps :)

48 Posts

December 31st, 2003 08:00

My problem is intermittent.  Therefore, it is unlikely that the problem is present at the time of running the maintenance disks.

I tried the suggestion of entering the BIOS setup and pressing Alt+E while the Scroll, Caps and Num lock lights were illuminated.

This appears to worked, however I am a belt and braces man. Therefore I have removed the memory modules and gently cleaned the contacts with a soft cloth, in any case removing and re-inserting these modules will clean the contacts.

Derek Nicholson

48 Posts

January 24th, 2004 09:00

Update on my last post.  After removing and re-iserting my memory modules the problem persisted.

I replaced my 256 MB memory with 512 MB (Modules purchased from Dell, using my TAG number so are of the correct type, speed etc.).  Surprise!Surprise!! "NMI - Parity Check / Memory Parity Error"  problem persists.

Since the trouble only began after upgrading my OS from ME to XP Home ( clean installation, HD reformatted), I find it difficult to believe it is a hardware problem.

The error message only appears occasonally when I shut the computer down, otherwise the computer performs nomally.  So it looks as if I will have to live with this anomaly until some bright Dell contributer finds a solution.

Derek Nicholson

270 Posts

January 24th, 2004 11:00

This is a good free utility for checking your memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

48 Posts

November 1st, 2004 10:00

I think I have now resolved my problem.  When I changed from ME to XP (clean installation, reformatting the HD) I understand that the Dell chipset driver was removed.  After re-installing the Dell chipset driver, the  NMI - Parity Check / Memory Parity Error problem on shutdown appears to have ceased.

Derek

September 12th, 2007 15:00

Hi, After doing a total system reinstall, I get this blue screen ever once and a while on my Dell Hardware Malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error System has halted Do you know what I should do to fix this? Thank you!

1 Message

April 26th, 2014 21:00

Enter to BIOS SETUP with F2 and go to VIDEO OPTIONS and select de PEG option. SAVE AND QUIT!!

No Events found!