Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 6th, 2012 11:00

DG33MO3 foxconn motherboard and msi R6670 MD2GD3 graphics card compatability

Does the DG33MO3 foxconn motherboard in my Inspiron 530 support an msi R6670 MD2GD3 graphics card?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 6th, 2012 11:00

lobsterboy25

Yes, the MSI R6670-MD2GD3 Radeon HD 6670 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Video Card, should work fine in the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower, with Foxconn  DG33MO3 motherboard and the default 350w power supply.

Bev.

December 6th, 2012 20:00

Would you mind helping me troubleshoot?   I shut down the computer, turned it off, unplugged it, opened it up, installed the brand new card into the pci-e x16 slot, connected the vga cable to the new card, closed the computer, turned the computer on and the monitor doesn't come out of power saving mode.  The new card is not being detected and all I see is a black screen.  I have tried disabling integrated video, updating bios, and updating drivers for chipset.  Any advice?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 6th, 2012 21:00

lobsterboy25

Prior to installing the new card, did you uninstall the 'old' drivers and install the compatible drivers for MSI R6670-MD2GD3 Radeon HD 6670, after installing the PCIe card?

Check the System Setup, F2 on start, scoll down to Advanced ChipSet Features > Init Display First and check it is set to 'PCI Slot'.

Before closing the case, did you check that all the power and data cables are still properly connected, to the drives and motherboard?

Bev.

December 6th, 2012 21:00

I uninstalled the old drivers and disabled integrated video through device manager.  I installed the drivers for the new card prior to installing the new card.  Init Display First is set to 'PCI Slot'.  All the power and data cables appear to be connected properly.  Is this card supposed to be connected to the power supply?  There was no evidence that it needed to be.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 6th, 2012 22:00

PCI slot? Is there a PCIe slot?

Also, does the Dell BIOS screen display on boot-up?

December 7th, 2012 05:00

There is no option to select pcie slot.  the only opions are pci and onboard.  The Dell bios screen does not display at start up with the new card installed.  Just a black screen.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2012 07:00

The Inspiron 530 MT use's the PCI option in the system setup for a PCIe card.

My Inspiron 530 Mini Tower's System Setup has both a PCI and PCIEx options, no 'onboard' and the PCI option is being used with the installed EVGA GeForce 9400GT card, if I remember rightly the PCIEx option does not work with a PCIe x16 card.

I do know that Dell made a lot of changes to the Inspsiron 530 series motherboards.

lobsterboy25

A silly thought, was the card fully installed into the slot and locked in place with the plastic securing tab attached to the motherboard.

Was the PCIe x16 card purchased new?

Bev.

December 7th, 2012 09:00

I think the clip may actually be broken off!  I never actually realized that there was a clip there.  Is the clip necessary?  Is it replaceable?  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2012 11:00

lobsterboy25

I've never broken a PCIe, or an AGP securing tab, but looking at it, I don't believe the clip is replaceable, as it's attached to the card's plastic slot.

How did the tab get broken, was there a video card installed before, or was the integrated [on board] graphics always used?

Bev.

December 7th, 2012 17:00

Yes, it looks like the clip is broken off.  I have always used integrated video and there has never been a card in there.  It has probably been like that since I got it several years ago.  Do you think the clip is actually a necessity or just a precaution to hold the card in place?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2012 18:00

lobsterboy25

I would think, it's a necessary component, to keep the card firmly located in the slot, also whoever broke the tab, could also have damaged the slot.

Was this 530 purchased new from Dell, or was it a used/refurbished system? 

Has the motherboard ever been replaced?

Bev.

December 8th, 2012 06:00

It was purchased new from dell a few years ago. I have never opened it up until now.  I have always used integrated video.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 8th, 2012 09:00

lobsterboy25

The Inspiron 530 Series was shipped with two different motherboard versions.

You need the Dell P/N 0FM586 [FoxConn G33m03] motherboard and I doubt that any new motherboards are availsble, as the 530 Series is long past it's EOL.

A refurbished/used motherboard costs around $100/150

http://www.impactcomputers.com/fm586.html?gclid=CPTK1Iaqi7QCFelFMgodniYAvQ

You could also, browse eBay for a motherboard that may cost less.

Do not buy a Dell P/N 0RY007/G679R/CU409 [FoxConn G33m02] motherboard, as they are not compatible with Core 2 Quad processors.

Bev.

Thanks for your help.  The fan is spinning on the card but the pc just won't recognize it.  That's a bummer!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Thanks for your help.  The fan is spinning on the card but the pc just won't recognize it.  That's a bummer!

lobsterboy25
Yep, that sure is a bummer, the same issue happened on my 530 MT, luckily I had a warranty in effect, Dell had replace both the video card and the motherboard.
The Dell warranty really paid off for me, Dell also replaced, a hard drive, DVD RW drive and another refurbished video card, that lasted until one week after the warranty ended, I replaced this with a new retail GeForce 9400GT card.

Bev.
No Events found!