Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2006 13:00

Connecting Oki parallel printer to usb port

Hi - Please can someone help me with what order I should do things in to connect my old Okipage 4w parallel printer to a USB port on my new Dimension 5150 running Windows XP Home.

I have:
- an Okipage 4w printer with old driver disks
- the latest drivers from the Oki website
- a Bandridge USB to parallel printer cable with a driver CD

At the moment I haven't connected, installed or used any of these and have no idea what to do first.  Does anyone have any advice please?

Mike

326 Posts

June 4th, 2006 17:00

I would try it in the following order:

1): Install the software for the USB / Parallel adpater

2): Install the Printer Driver CD & follows it's instructions
as to the setup steps .. usually the printer is attached
to the USB Last

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2006 22:00

One note on drivers, you must have Windows XP drivers.  The drivers for the older Operating systems are not compatible.  Many older printers and scanners are not compatible with XP, make sure it's fully compatible or it will never work.

10 Elder

• 

44.1K Posts

June 5th, 2006 02:00

According to this page, a driver for the Okipage 4 is not built into Windows XP, so unless the manufacturer offers an XP driver, you may be out of luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293380/

Ron

14 Posts

June 5th, 2006 06:00

Thanks for your replies.

I used the order suggested in the first reply.  After a couple of hours of trying various options within this, I eventually got the printer to work.  The latest drivers on the printer manufacturer's website claimed to be for 2000/XP but I got lots of warning messages during installation advising me to abort because could well be making my system unstable.

So, although everything works at the moment, I'm half expecting something to go wrong over the next few days.  I've already discovered that the printer's feeding mechanism isn't too great - I guess that's what I get for leaving it standing in the corner unused for a few years!

No Events found!