Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2013 10:00

Computer freezing; Cursor locks up and makes a beep

Currently, I am having an issue with my Dell Inspiron 530. The problems is from time to time, the cursor locks up for a few seconds and while the cursor is locked up or frozen and I click on the mouse, the system beeps once. Anyone know what the problem is? 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 24th, 2013 05:00

Probably not given the age of the system. But a clean installation of Windows itself usually improves performance.

55 Posts

Well I have ran a hardware diagnostics can in the past and it has passed although I am still experiencing the issue. Would a clean reformat and install of a clean copy of Windows do the trick?

3.3K Posts

Hi maortega15,

Try to do a clean boot which can resolve the issue.

Below steps would help you clean boot:

Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Configure Selective Startup options

• In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  • Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  • Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart.

Also, check if the computer works in safe mode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select Safe mode with networking.

If the issue persists I recommend you to run diagnostics on the computer.

• Restart the computer and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu.
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • If the Pre-boot System Assessment completes successfully, you receive the message Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition
  • Press any key to continue
  • Press any key to start the Dell Diagnostics from the Diagnostics utility partition on your hard drive
  • After the Dell Diagnostics loads and the Main Menu screen appears, click the button for the option you want to run -
    • Express Test: Performs a quick test of devices. The test typically takes 10 to 20 minutes and requires no interaction on your part
    • Extended Test: Performs a thorough check of devices. The test typically takes 1 hour or more and requires you to answer questions periodically
    • Custom Test: Tests a specific device. You can customize the tests to be run.
    • Symptom Tree: Allows you to select tests based on a symptom of the problem you are experiencing
  • When you have finished running a test, close the screen to return to the Main Menu screen. To exit the Dell Diagnostics and reboot the computer, close the Main Menu screen

Please make a note of the error message.

Awaiting your response!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi maortega15,

What cursor? During boot? When running MS Word?

If you have problems with the system freezing while booted to Windows, you might want to post in the Microsoft OS forum, and be sure to mention what operating system you have.

55 Posts

The cursor or arrow on the screen locks up. It doesn't lock up during boot but rather when in use. The arrow would just freeze and everytime I move the mouse, it wouldn't move for a few seconds. When I click on the mouse while the arrow is frozen, it makes a beep. I ran Dell Diagnostics and hardware tests have passed.

55 Posts

March 21st, 2013 08:00

Any ideas? 

3.3K Posts

March 21st, 2013 18:00

Hi maortega15,

Kindly let me know the operating system installed on the computer so that I can help you better.

As the hardware diagnostics has passed, the Operating system might be corrupt.

Does the issue persists in safe mode with networking? Restart the computer and keep tapping F8 on Dell logo and select safe mode with networking. Check the status in Safe mode with networking.

Follow below steps which can resolve the issue (Windows 7):

Step 1: Below are the steps for last good configuration.

Boot to the Last Known-Good Configuration

• Power on the system.
  • Press when the message For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8 appears.
  • Choose Last Known-Good Configuration.

Step 2: Use System Restore to Revert to a Previous State.

• Restart the computer.
  • Tap during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
  • Press until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and then press .
  • In the System Recovery Options window, click to select your language, and then click Next.
  • From the Choose a recovery tool menu, click System Restore.
  • In the System Restore window, click Next.
  • Click the Show restore points older than 5 days checkbox for a complete listing of restore points.
  • Click to select a restore point.
  • Click Next and then click Finish.
  • Click Yes in the confirmation window.
  • Click Restart after system restore successfully completes.
  • If you encounter any error messages during the restore process, follow the on-screen instructions to correct the error.

If the above steps would not work, try to do a factory reset on the computer using the below mentioned link:

http://dell.to/YQFKhJ

If the factory image is not available, clean install is the option:

http://dell.to/XlaiXY

Note: Back up data before performing above steps which can erase the data on the hard drive.

Awaiting your response!

55 Posts

March 21st, 2013 18:00

I am currently using Windows Vista. 

I have not tried using the system while in safe mode.

I will most likely install a new copy of Windows 7 next month.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 04:00

As long as your hardware passes the Dell diagnostics, there's a pretty good chance a clean install of Windows will fix the problem. Given what I know about Vista, Windows 7 should be an improvement.

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 08:00

ive the same problem and it says AMD display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Constantly happens with my inspirion on windows 7 pro / 64 bit. I tried updating drivers but it says the best driver is already installed. In the past five months this FREEZE issue happens often, and I have to manually (OFF BUTTON) shut and restart. Any ideas?The system shouldn't have to be shut down this way.Black screen and then recovers....sometimes without restart

55 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 20:00

As long as your hardware passes the Dell diagnostics, there's a pretty good chance a clean install of Windows will fix the problem. Given what I know about Vista, Windows 7 should be an improvement.

Thanks mate. Just a quick question. Should I notice an improvement of the 64-bit version over the 32-bit or not? 

55 Posts

March 24th, 2013 09:00

Probably not given the age of the system. But a clean installation of Windows itself usually improves performance.

Also, would a Solid State Hybrid drive be an improvment over the current 500GB 7200rpm installed by the factory? 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 25th, 2013 17:00

Yes, a hybrid drive should help performance.

55 Posts

March 25th, 2013 21:00

Yes, a hybrid drive should help performance.

I'm good for now thank you. I will install a new hybrid drive next month along with a fresh copy of Win 7. Hope all goes well by then.

Thank you once again for all your help and technical expertise. It's very much appreciated. :emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 28th, 2013 17:00

Glad to help!

No Events found!