Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2010 13:00

CONNECTING PRINTER WITH UBS TO PARALLEL CABLE

I recently got a new Dell Inspiron with Win 7; it does not have an IEEE  1248 parallel port to connect my HP 720C printer. I purchased a USB 2.0 to Parrallel printer cable to connect. My computer recognizes athe printer and says that is ready to use, but I can't print a document. Does anyone have a solution to suggest? The printer works with my old Dell Dimension with Win XP. Thanks.

John

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 21st, 2010 14:00

HP printers require more control lines than the USB converters provide.  Your only hope for the old printer is to buy a Parallel port PCIe card.  I've worked with several of these converters and NEVER got an HP to work.   Considering the age of the 720C you should be looking at new Windows 7 compatible units.  The "old reliable" may still work OK but it is an "old" unit with the obsolete Parallel port.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 21st, 2010 14:00

John,

A PCI card with a parallel port might be a more stable solution. Do you have an open PCI slot?

Another idea would be a print server with a parallel port. This would require that your router have an open network port. This might be easier to configure than the PCI card.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 12:00

My workhorse printer is an HP Laserjet 6P (10 years old). It's connected to a Linksys print server with a parallel port connection. Although the print server configuration was a little tricky, it works flawlessly (yes, Win 7 has drivers for this old thing).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 14:00

I have an old hp  820cse parallel port printer on an old 8400 computer that has windows 7 and it works fine. However--there are no win 7 64 bit drivers for it, only 32 bit, so I can't share the printer with my other computers. I'm using the hp once in a while until the ink runs out and then recycling it.

Don't spend any money on a printer card if you have 64 bit win 7. Just buy a new printer. They are cheap. The expense is in the ink, not the printer.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 29th, 2010 10:00

As I mentioned with the USB adapter, it does not have all the control lines needed by HP's.  It may be recognized but because of the missing control signals it won't print.

We get new PC's with new operating systems and new technology hardware but we forget about also upgrading to new peripherals (e.g. printers) and thus compatibility problems arise.  Such is the case with this "old reliable" printer.

28 Posts

December 29th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Osprey,

I have looked further into HP Drivers and HP says they do not have a driver for this printer (Deskjet 722C) that is compatible with Win 7, 64bit. So I think that I will give up on it; but, it is puzzling to me that my computer does recognize the printer and indicates that it is functional. If there are other avenues other than purchasing cards , etc., I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks, John

No Events found!