Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2016 08:00

Not Understanding the Order Status.. Can Any Recent Shoppers Help?

I ordered a Dell XPS 13 (9360) on the 16th. It was listed as one of the "Delivered by 12/23" deals, however when I changed the color from Silver to Rose Gold the estimated delivery date changed to 12/26. After talking to Sales Support I was told I could still order it and choose Express Delivery, and there is a chance (not guarantee) I would get it before Christmas.. so I took a risk!

However here is where I'm at.. the online order status page shows my status as:

Confirmed: "Your custom-built item is complete." Estimated delivery: 12/23 - 12/27

When I call the order status phone line, I receive this update:

Your order has been received and is currently being processed. The estimated delivery date is on or before December 23rd.

When I ask via chat, I am told my order is in "Building" status and the estimated delivery date is 12/26.

So my questions are: (1) which estimated delivery date should I trust? The phone line, saying I should expect it on or before 12/23, or the online/chat methods that estimate up to 12/27? And (2) Why does my order say, "Your custom-built item is complete" if I am being told it is still in the "In Production or Building status"? It has been here for a few days!

Anyone have a recent order with the same experience?

Thanks!

December 20th, 2016 09:00

Do not trust either date.  Only trust the date when you have your laptop in hand.

Order support is not interested in helping you other than to cancel and re-order the same laptop.

This way Dell show a better percentage on Order to Deliver ratio. Their shipping algorithm is not accurate at all. 

3 Posts

December 20th, 2016 10:00

Thanks, I've heard horror stories on here so I'm a bit worried. I realize I made a slight change that took away the "12/23 guarantee" by opting for Rose Gold..

Could the package have been shipped already without the page updating? Not sure if you've ever had this experience. I don't see how in 2016 it's impossible for Dell to just have one accurate and confirmed Order Status page...

The Order Status page is described as "in real-time", but I have read posts from people saying otherwise.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2016 10:00

I have had the same frustrating experience, although I placed my order on November 28th.  Ironic that Dell is now using the slogan: "Nothing’s sadder than an empty stocking."  I should have ordered from some other computer company. 

Customer service in India told me that the computer would ship on December 25th.  Really??

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 00:00

If it sheds any hope, I got a shipment confirmation tonight. FedEx "can't find the tracking number" but it's expected since I think it's only been in "Shipped" status for a couple of hours.

I did notice when I checked my order status on the Dell Order Status page, there was always an option to "Request Cancellation". However this morning it was gone, and tonight I was notified that it shipped. So keep an eye to see if your "Request Cancellation" vanishes-- if so, it likely shipped! I wasn't notified it was shipped until about 18-20 hours after I noticed that link was missing.

Good luck! Hoping it arrives by Christmas.

December 22nd, 2016 07:00

wallybnj,

Good luck on getting your order in time for Christmas!

I hope you get and enjoy it.

78 Posts

December 24th, 2016 08:00

wallybnj,

Good luck on getting your order in time for Christmas!

I hope you get and enjoy it.

Ditto.  A rare success story, if so.  I hope wallybnj updates this thread if/when they receive their order.

No Events found!