Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2013 13:00

X51 Single beep, No POST

Hi there, I recently bought a part-built alienware system that was created by dell and have put in RAM, CPU and a heatsink, connected the power supply and I receive a single beep from the machine that repeats with no video output at all. The machine stalls and I hear the single beep continuously while the fans still spin.

How can I trouble shoot this to determine if the motherboard is definitely broken?

Thanks

June 20th, 2013 14:00

Hi Verlix12,

Checkout this article and watch the troubleshooting video. Try clearing the CMOS battery on your system (just disconnect the CMOS battery for at least 3 min). Let me know how it goes.

3 Posts

June 20th, 2013 16:00

Hi, thought I'd tag onto this post as I am seem to be in the same situation. I too bought a part built X51 and have put in RAM, CPU and a heat sink, connected the power supply etc. Like you I have a short beep that repeats forever, well it went on for about 30 beeps before I turned off the power! Oddly this continuous beeping is not in the X51 beep code table, it only goes up to 7. Like yours my machine has a black screen (fans are running) and will not POST. I have no idea what version of the bios I have so decided to stick with Sandy Bridge CPUs. The CPU I tested with was an LGA1155 Pentium G860 (Sandy Bridge) but in a couple of days I will be able to test with an i5 - 2320 which I know the early systems have been shipped with. Wonder if the original bios (A01?) only works with certain Sandy Bridge CPUs e.g. i3 2120, i5 2320, i7 2600? What CPU are you using? Does any one know if these part built systems even have the bios chips pre-flashed, did try to contact the seller but no response yet.

5 Posts

I too tried to contact the seller, no response yet for me either. I tried with a 3570k i5 chip. Was building my system alongside a friend building a pre-owned case, my CPU and RAM works in his machine but oddly not in mine. I was also wondering if the bios chip was pre-flashed, wondering what to do cause I'm out of pocket £200 at the moment.

Just out of interest are you from the UK?

It's not the same beep code error, but checkout this article. Re-seating the components that you installed can work as well. If you guys have an active warranty, you can call your local tech support line.

3 Posts

Yes, based in the UK, X51 bought from eBay if you search for "Dell AlienWare X51 Part Build" on ebay uk you will see the one I have bought. Am beginning to wonder what I have been sold! Still interested to find out what endless beeps mean, no amount of Googling has found me the answer.

5 Posts

I think we may have also, I purchased from the same seller as you! Thats what I'm wondering, let me know how it goes.

I may have to source a sandy bridge if thats the case

3 Posts

One thing I just noticed about the CPU you mentioned is that it's an Ivy Bridge Chipset, I think these were only supported on later versions of the bios. As soon as I get the i5 2320 which is known to work I will update this thread but something tells me we've been sold a duff!!!

5 Posts

Hi there, I watched the video and the power supply and such is working perfectly. I tried to clear the CMOS battery and left it disconnected for half an hour or so but unfortunately, upon powering up, a single beep still occurs

5 Posts

June 21st, 2013 05:00

I believe the problem is that the BIOS needs to be updated, but I lack a CPU that will work in the machine, thus not sure how I am meant to update the BIOS! If anybody could suggest anything it would be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2013 07:00

At the top of this page click on support, choose your country, input your service tag, go to downloads and drivers and download the bios direct, I went from A2 to the latest A12 but you have to get A6 and A7 on the way, took about an hour but was quite painless and no card flashing and all that I have had to do on other machines.

Hope that helps

No Events found!