Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2015 12:00

X51 R1 Boot Loop BSOD restart

So two nights ago I was watching a high def video on my TV via hdmi from board to tv.  I was also converting some large video files and some other background processes, which were displayed on my primary monitor hooked up to the DVI on my R1 (Upgraded Card, I think geforce 555?)

Suddenly my screens froze and a god awful noise came from the speakers... every things was locked and the only choice was to hold down the power button and turn off the pc.

Since then I have not been able to boot successfully.  I will always get a automatic repair, that fails and freezes or I get a BSOD with many different messages including:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

And a couple of others I didnt write down.

I allowed the dell diagnostic tool thing to run and it found and error when checking the processor, and then it stalled the diagnostic program.  THis was the result of the processor error:

CPU CACHE INTEGRITY TEST DISCREPANCY CPU5 (ID 0X4) DATA ERROR AT ADDRESS 0XC6F9A49C.  EXPECTED C6F9A498, BUT FOUND C6F80DD8.

My initial reaction was to think that there was an issue with the graphics card or it's driver, because i've been having some strange behavior lately and it seems like it will bsod right when the card would be powering on to display something (however i disabled the dvi to monitor and just have my board hdmi connected to my tv and same results.)  And after seeing the diagnostic results I was thinking that I had did something to the processor or motherboard, but that seems unlikely.  Is it possibly the external power supply?

Other than that there is not much else I can do.  I've tried booting into safe mode but there does not seem like there is a way to do this.  I went as far as making a windows 10 disc, booting into it, troubleshooting and loading the command prompt and enabling legacy boot options with a command, but still not able to "f8" into a safe mode.  I've also tried restoring to a previous point, but it says i have no restore points since ive installed windows 10.  I've tried running a start up repair which also fails and goes to a bsod.  Im stuck and cannot do anything, and I also have some important client files and do not want to do a format/reinstall.  

Please help!  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 7th, 2015 10:00

Hi, 

Just to confirm, you ran the ePSA/Diagnostics test from the Boot menu (F12) correct? Did you run the full test? Access the Bios (to access the Bios, tap the F2 button during boot), go to the Boot section on the top, look for the Boot Mode option and set it to UEFI, make sure the secure boot option is disabled. Save the changes and restart the system. Let us know how it goes. 

6 Posts

September 7th, 2015 11:00

Yes I have ran the ePSA/Diagnostics tool from the f12 menu.  And that was the error it came back with when it tested the processor... after the error displayed the screen froze and the test didnt complete, i think the only other thing to test was the ram, everything else besides the processor came back good in the test.  It was not a full test, just the standard test that runs by default.

And yes the boot mode is currently set to uefi with no secure boot.  No matter what the system is not getting past the initial boot and going to a BSOD, that results in one of the various errors im getting.

**New development**
So i have not touched the X51 since I wrote this post yesterday.  But now I wanted to attempt to run a full ePSA/Diagnostics scan and report the results here.  However now the PC will not turn on at all.  Well the front button turns on as if it is turning on normally, but none of the side lights or alienware logo light up and none of the drives spin up and nothing appears on the screen at all.  SO i cannot even get to any of the bios (f2) or boot options (f12} as it just looks like the machine is dead now.. except for the front power light that lights up.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 8th, 2015 08:00

Hi, 

Try doing a power drain. To do this, disconnect all the external devices and cables (including the power cable). Then press and hold the power button for 1 minute. After this, connect everything again and turn on the system. If it still does not boot, click here to view a post from Chris that explains how to clear the CMOS jumper on this system. Let us know how it goes. 

6 Posts

September 8th, 2015 18:00

Ok I have attempted a power drain and unplugged every cable including the power cord and then held the power button in for over a minute.  The results were nothing.  Plugged the power cord in and the white light on the power button came on, but nothing would power up just like before.  So then I followed the directions to clear the cmos jumper as described in those directions by Chris.  I removed the case cover panel and got to to cmos jumper and removed the pin from 1 & 2 position and placed it on the 2 & 3 positions and left it like that, and then put everything back on and the case cover and attempted to power up again.  This time the white light on the power button did not come on at all, and pushing the power button doesn't do anything... It looks more dead now than before :). So this has not fixed the problem.  Also, do I need to replace the cmos jumper pin back to the original 1 & 2 position, or just leave it in this new position?

6 Posts

September 10th, 2015 10:00

I'm not sure what the time frame on these responses are, but its been over 48 hours and I have not heard back from anyone, and I'm getting a little nervous/anxious about my computer.  After following this advice the PC wont show any sign of power going to it, and I need to know what I need to do.  This thing has my entire life on it and at the moment im dead in the water.  I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I appreciate the help and guidance, but I get nervous when I don't hear back from anyone after being advised to take my PC apart and mess with jumpers.  Anxiously awaiting your advise...

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 10th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

Was the pin in the 1 & 2 position originally or in 2 & 3? If it was in the 1 & 2, put it back on those. Is the light on the AC adapter still lit? 

6 Posts

September 10th, 2015 20:00

Yes it was originally in the 1 & 2 position.  So now I have placed the jumper pin back to the original 1 & 2 position, and plugged everything back in.  And now the white light on the power button lights up again, but the computer still does not power on at all when I press the power button.  And yes the light on the external ac adapter has been on the whole time.

6 Posts

September 14th, 2015 11:00

Rodrigo are you there?  Why are you not responding to this ticket?  I'm counting on some support here and waiting days at a time to hear back, and now you have not responded at all.  Should I call in and ask for support, what do I need to do to get the ball rolling here??  My computer is down and this is how I conduct my business, and it seems like im not getting anywhere.  If this keeps up im gonna have to call dell and get to the bottom of this and why im not getting any support.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 14th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

It appears like the issue is hardware related. You have already tried the recommend procedures. If the system is in warranty, send me a PM with your service tag for further assistance. 

17 Posts

September 19th, 2015 11:00

Blue Screen Of Death. The screen that pops up on Microsoft when you did absoultely nothing wrong but they tell you that you did anyways. It usually makes you restart your computer.
http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bsod-blue-screen-of-death/

8 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 16:00

Hi

I have a similar problem with my X51. I have traced it back to a faulty GTX 555 video card. I am lucky that my son has same computer so we swapped video cards and the x51 worked fine. It may be your problem too. Hope this helps. Let me know

No Events found!