Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2013 20:00

Newer Blu-Rays Won't Play

Hello,

So I recently got my X51 and I'm loving it. I splurged a bit and got the blu-ray drive in hopes of playing blu-rays on my computer. The computer shipped with Cyberlink PowerDVD 10. Well, I popped in The Hobbit and it simply wouldn't play. The player opened like it's supposed too but the movie didn't play. So I then tried The Avengers. Same problem.

So I tossed in a DVD and that played fine with no problems. I went online and investigated a bit and it turns out that PowerDVD 10 pretty much won't play any blu-ray made before 2011 due to some kind of special security DRM thing.

My question is, why wasn't my brand new computer installed with the newest Cyberlink software (which is version 13 I believe)? As it is, I can't play more than half of my blu-rays with this much older software. Is it possible that Alienware/Dell could send me the newer software, or a key or something so that my computer can play all blu-rays? As I expected it to do, buying a brand new top of the line computer?

I know the blu-ray drive works, I tried an older blu-ray (One of the family guy star wars movies) and it worked fine. I'm hoping maybe something can be done and I won't just be <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> as I don't want to shell out another $100 some dollars to get CyberLink 13 (Which will probably only work for another year or two before I have to upgrade the software)

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give me regarding this. I hope we can get it worked out smoothly.

Community Manager

• 

54.8K Posts

May 21st, 2013 17:00

It would not hurt to download/save both of those. Then, try them and let us know. Send me your service tag number via private message so I can research this. Can you post the date and version by these names?

My Dell Downloads
Media Suite Essentials BD and DVD
Media Suite Essentials DVD/BD

Current version installed?

2K Posts

May 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi JaseDakota,

It is unfortunate that the discs are not being read. Request you to try the following steps which may help:

(1) Update the software you use to play Blu-ray movies:
A movie that was released after a movie player released may not play on older versions of Blu-ray hardware and software. This can happen due to copy protection. Blu-ray technology requires an Internet connection for software players. The software player must be updated over the Internet to acquire new encryption codes to help protect the movie industry from piracy. Also, new interactive features may not be recognized by the original software programs and drivers. Some Blu-ray movies feature an enhancement to the Blu-ray specification called BD Profile 1.1. This may prevent a movie from being played, or it may prevent access to the movie menus while using the Quick Play or Media Smart programs.

(2) Update QuickPlay:
To resolve problems with a Blu-ray optical disc drive, you should use the update feature within the quick Play software program to update to version 3.7 or later by following the steps below.

1. When QuickPlay is operating, double-click the Update icon to open the Updates and Enhancements window.

2. Double-click Get the latest QuickPlay updates.

3. Select Download now and follow the on-screen instructions.

Once the new version is installed, restart QuickPlay and insert the Blu-ray disc.

(3) Update Media Smart:
MediaSmart displays an alert when there is an update available. To resolve problems with a Blu-ray optical disc drive, you should use the update feature within the MediaSmart software program to update to the latest version by following the steps below.

1. When MediaSmart is operating and displays a prompt to select the updates which you wish to install, click the Update your Media Smart option.

7028.BD.PNG

2. If prompted to stop playback before updating, stop and remove the disc and then click retry.

3. If prompted to uninstall the existing version of Media Smart, click yes.

Once the new version is installed, restart Media Smart and insert the Blu-ray disc.

Do reply with your findings.

17 Posts

May 20th, 2013 12:00

I have checked, and it -is- a bluray drive. It plays older blurays just fine, but it does not play newer ones. I don't have anything called QuickPlay or Media Smart on my computer that I can find.

The computer came with Cyberlink Media Suit Essentials 10 which includes PowerDVD 10. This all came included with the computer, straight from Alienware. My problem is that this software is years out of date and does not play Blurays produced within the last few years.

So right out of the box, my computer can't play most blurays because of the software that came with the computer. The drive works fine. I just don't understand why a brand new computer would come with such outdated software that makes one of it's main selling points useless.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 20th, 2013 13:00

Just like a stand-alone Blu-Ray player ...

There must be a way to update the un-encryption software (and/or drive Firmware) for the lastest BD 2.x profile protection schemes.

17 Posts

May 20th, 2013 13:00

I'm not super savvy on the whole situation or tech or the DRM stuff, but near as I can tell the only ACCS or whatever it's called I have is the cyberlink program, and since it's three full versions behind the current cyberlink software, there's no updates for it at all that I can find. In and out of the program itself. I'm just really frustrated with trying to figure this out. I don't want to spend another 50-100 dollars on a new bluray program when you'd think it should work right out of the box.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 20th, 2013 14:00

The software player must be updated over the Internet to acquire new encryption codes to help protect the movie industry from piracy.

Right. So please provide customer with way to do that.

According to customer, sounds like the Cyberlink version you are shipping is too old to allow updates any more. Since up-to-date software is required to use the Blu-Ray drive hardware you sold him, sounds like Dell owes customer a working (possibly newer) version.

17 Posts

May 20th, 2013 14:00

Yes, providing me with newer software, even if it isn't Cyberlink, just something that will play my movies would be very acceptable.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2013 08:00

So it's been about a day without another Dell response, I'm just wondering if that's because there's nothing that can be done, or if someone else just hasn't looked at my problem? I understand if nothing can be done, just hoping for a response one way or another. Thanks.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2013 16:00

I checked the My Dell Downloads and there's two listed. "Media Suite Essentials BD and DVD" and "Media Suite Essentials DVD/BD". One is version 10 and released 10/26/2012 the other is version 10.0.1 and released 03/01/2013. I checked the software version on my computer and it is 10.0.1.2417.

Should I try downloading and installing one of those others?

Community Manager

• 

54.8K Posts

May 21st, 2013 16:00

JaseDakota,

Did you log into My Dell Downloads using your service tag number? Do so and see if the PDVD version is different.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2013 17:00

Ok. Sent the private message and downloading them now. I'll try them as soon as I can. Thank you for your help.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2013 19:00

I installed this one Media Suite Essentials BD and DVD - Version 10 - Release Date 10/26/2012 - Size 628,215 KB after downloading it from My Dell Downloads. And for reasons I don't fathom, it worked. I did have to update the powerDVD that installed with this version, but it still worked even after updating. I'm not sure what the differences are but...it worked.

I do apologize for being frustrated in my earlier posts and do appreciate Chris M's help. Thank you.

No Events found!