Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AU

December 6th, 2016 12:00

HUGE framerate drop with Graphics Amplifier

I have noticed a HUGE drop in framerate with my  alienware 15 laptop and graphics amplifier with a GTX980 ti graphics card! When I ran firestrike for the first time when I hooked my system up everything ran more than twice the speed. Now the speed has lowered more than half. I have a performance score of 4458!? Here is the link.  http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/16507314?

Now I am hitting

Graphics Test 1 was 41.38 fps
Graphics Test 2 was 50.94 fps
Physics Test was 6.32 fps
Combined Test was 6.0 fps

Before I was hitting 
Around 70-80 on graphics test 1
Around 80 fps on graphics test 2
Around 20-38 on physics test
And around 40 on combined test.

What has happened to my pc. Before my score was 17000 to 18000. I have the same hardware as I did before ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti(1x) Intel Core  i7-4710HQ). I have tried to free up space on my  hard drive, completely deleted my  graphics card drivers and reinstalled them, I took apart my external graphics amplifier and cleaned the dust out (the card was hot) but that didn’t change anything. I went into the nvidia settings and selected max performance. Why is the physics test only 6.32 fps!? and the combined only 6 fps!? Please help me, I need to get my computer working again, its hard to play anything!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 8th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

1 - Make sure the right video card is showing in the device manager

2- Check the temps of the video cards and PC's CPU.

For CPU stress test:

Run a CPU stress test using the Support Assist tool to check how high the CPU temperature goes. If you do not have Support Assist installed in your computer, click here for the download link. Follow the steps below to run the stress test. 

• Download and install Dell Support Assist
  • Open Dell Support Assist
  • Click Checkup
  • Click Scan a Specific Device
  • Click System Devices
  • Select the CPU Stress Test and Run it. This Test will load the CPU and Ram to 100% and test it. It will make enough heat to determine if the processor is overheating or not.

Let me know how it goes. 

372 Posts

December 8th, 2016 22:00

Also check the version of your drivers.  There has been a new release from Invidia.

December 9th, 2016 08:00

The stress test was passed. It didn't say anything was wrong with it. just PASSED

61 Posts

December 9th, 2016 08:00

What is the new driver going to fix in his case ? First he said it used to be fine before and second his GPU is more than an year old.

December 9th, 2016 10:00

I figured it out. It was the BIOS. www.3dmark.com/.../16572619 Thats my new benchmark.

NEW RESULTS

Graphics Test 1 - 88.32 fps

Graphics Test 2 - 66.9 fps

Physics Test - 27.43 fps

Combined Test - 25.06 fps

Old results

Graphics Test 1 - 41.38 fps

Graphics Test 2 -50.94 fps

Physics Test - 6.32 fps

Combined Test - 6.0 fps

I cannot believe it. All I had to do, for anyone who has an issue in the future, I just had to reset my comp, hit F2 as it booted to go into BIOS screen. At the bottom it said to hit F9, so I pressed it to restore to default (hit yes when prompted), then it took me back to the screen, I then hit escape, save and continue, and BAM it loaded and is running faster than even when I got it.

No Events found!