Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 11th, 2017 08:00

HTC Vive on 15R3 Issues

Hi Guys,

I've recently got myself an Alienware 15R3, fitted with 32GB ram, 4K screen and a 1070 graphic card.

I thought i'd be able to run my vive from this.. but as of yet I cannot get the vive to be seen as working.

After install of SteamVR / Vive Set-up I get "NOT READY" and no options for the headset (its red). Looking in the set-up and dianostics all appears to be detected??? I'm at a loss... the headset works fine on my desktop..

Any Ideas?? Is anyone else having issues or sorted the issue if you've had it?

Thanks,

Jason

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 13th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

Try Fn+F7 for switchable graphics, leave it on discrete only.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2017 08:00

‌ Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same machine as you and have been spending a week with HTC / Dell tech support to get this addressed to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. FYI

9 Posts

July 5th, 2017 00:00

I did yes mate.

I did two things, but think it was purely the second needed.

I uninstalled steam and then installed the latest directly on a directory of my choosing rather than default (don't think this will really be needed)

And then more importantly it would appear that in all the updates all the security (file security) get messed up somehow. What I needed to do is make sure that the .exe files in the steam directory run as administrator. It seems to be that alone which was my problem. I can't remember which files exactly but will check it out if you need further help. But for example you can run the room setup program directly by right clicking and running as admin once you find the location of the file.

If your still chatting with dell about this mention that about the security and running with adminstrative rights and they might have a more elegant solution.

Hope that helps.. but let me know if I can help further.

Jason

2 Posts

July 5th, 2017 06:00

‌ thank you very much for replying.

Uninstalling / reinstalling Steam and running all the apps as admin didn't fix the issue - I still get either "headset not detected" or "compositor is not available", seemingly at random, when plugging in the headset and starting SteamVR. May I ask what cables you're using to connect the link box to the laptop? I tried HDMI, mini displayport, miniDP-HDMI, etc. 

Headset works immediately via HDMI on my friend's desktop.

1 Message

August 15th, 2017 15:00

Anyone find a solution (other than the Run as Administrator option)?  I've had an open ticket with Steam for almost 6 weeks now trying different solutions - reinstalling Steam, SteamVR, SteamVR Beta - trying different ports, different video drivers.....and I keep getting the "Headset not detected" on HDMI and Compositor not available random times if I try Display Port.  It's like the Alienware laptop just doesn't recognize the HDMI input at all.  I can get it to work the odd time by various reboots, unplugs of the linkbox, reinstalls of SteamVR, and/or removing USB drivers etc.  But then the next day it fails and the same fix rarely works.  VERY frustrating.  Just don't get it as it's unreproducable consistently.

August 16th, 2017 03:00

Hi.

getting VR Headsets working can be tricky sometimes. we've had similar Issue at some Point.  Vive stopped working after few Windows Updates. here is what you can try:

1. make sure all Devices (Headset, Controllers etc.) have the latest Firmware installed.

2. check Windows Files for Errors: right click on the Start Symbol > Command Prompt (Admin), type "sfc /scannow". let it run and fix Errors if found

3. Fix Windows Update Files: Command Prompt (Admin) >

a) type in "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and hit Enter. let it work.

b) type in "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" and hit Enter. let it work.

c) type in "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and hit Enter. let it work.

4. Reboot and try again. our Vive worked again after doing all the Stuff.

i hope it helps.

1 Message

September 10th, 2017 00:00

Hey ‌, ever got it resolved?

I'm stuck in the exact same situation as you are (were?), and can't figure out why it's not working.

Thanks

5 Posts

December 15th, 2017 13:00

I'm in the same boat. BUT.... I've now tried a Windows mixed reality headset straight out of the box on mine as well as my Vive. I run the startup screens, and it gives me green check marks across the board for running it. But the next screen says "Connect your Headset". I tried the HDMI on the back, The Mini Displayport on back to HDMI adapter, AND going through Display Link on the side. I have mashed the useless FN F7 button. So... this is not a Vive issue. It is a computer issue. This is verified by all of us returning to a working computer where our headsets function properly. Is it possible to disable the integrated video on a laptop in the Bios? I guess I'll look.

December 16th, 2017 03:00

are you Guys still running your Machines with shipped Windows Installation?

have someone of you tried to re-install Windows 10?

5 Posts

December 18th, 2017 07:00

Small follow up. I was able to get the Windows Mixed Reality headset working after noticing an "!" symbol next to a "Hololens" camera listed in the Device Manger which can be accessed by hitting the windows key and "X" on your machine. I right clicked and to it to update the driver for it and it began working. I Looked for a similar "!" when I plugged in my Vive but none appeared. Here is what pops up when you plug your Vive in.

5 Posts

December 18th, 2017 07:00

I have installed my own copy of windows 10 on this machine. Doesn't seem to have made a difference.

1 Message

December 28th, 2017 12:00

Same problem here with 15 v3. Tried both Vive and Windows Mixed Reality. Both push errors related to problems with HDMI output. External monitor works fine. Did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Did not change anything. Getting the runaround from Microsoft, HP, and Dell. This is either hardware or config error. Need a solution! Considering ringeturn the notebook computer and getting something else.

5 Posts

December 28th, 2017 14:00

As I mentioned above... I WAS able to get Windows mixed reality working on this machine. Install all the windows updates... then plug in the headset. Access the device manager by pressing the (Windows button +X) Look for an "!" symbol next to a "Hololens" camera & right click it to update the driver.  It should work after this. OH... and the second time I ran the Windows headset, I had it plugged into the Mini Displayport using an HDMI adapter. The computer became extremely laggy until I plugged directly into the HDMI on the rear of the machine.

I know this thread is for the Vive but it shows it CAN run VR successfully. Just gotta figure out whats going on with Vive. 

5 Posts

December 28th, 2017 14:00

That is very encouraging. You're the first I've seen get it working at all.

No Events found!