Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2017 10:00

Dell Alienware Aurora R4 missing Serial ATA Controller Driver

O/S 7 x64

Have just done a reinstall of windows and have noticed I am now get a error missing when I click on Devices + Printers telling me that I am missing my Serial ATA Controller Driver . In seeing this message I down load a replacement driver and install but I still get the same error message .

So to recap I go to Devices and printer and click on " Install a driver for this device "

Apply this Fix " Searching for driver "

Problem found

" Serial ATA Controller Doesnt have Driver "                      " Not Fixed "

But I have just installing the driver but it does not seem able to find it , So non of it makes any sense ?

Any thoughts from any one ?

August 14th, 2017 14:00

Hi sub101uk.

download and install Intel Chipset and Intel ME Drivers and all Drivers you can find under SATA / Storage. Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver is the most promising one.

Support for Alienware Aurora R4 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US 

12 Posts

August 15th, 2017 07:00

Hi Guys many thanks for your reply but I have already been to the Alienware site . Support for Alienware Aurora R4 . I clicked on " Guide Me " 

Automatically detect driver update for your system

Detect drivers

Drivers detected for your system

We have completed a drivers scan for your system you are using . Your system is different than the product  page you initially visited . Do you want to view these results for your system or continue looking for drivers on this support page .

It then shows me 3 driver updates :

Serial ATA I Intel Storage Manager ( OS Pre -Install Driver Only ) V.9.6.0.1014.A06

Chipset |Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.1.1.1019, A01

Serial ATA |Silicon Integrated Systems SIL3132, v.1.0.15.6, A02

I have already down loading and installed these 3 files but I still get the error message

Thanks again for the feed back .

August 15th, 2017 10:00

yeah. the Auto Detect Stuff doesn't work as intended.

so you downloaded and installed Intel RST Driver and RST Application?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 15th, 2017 13:00

sub101uk wrote:

I have scanned my computer scanned by those sites that keep your drivers up to date and that also finds that the ATA controller driver is missing but if I pay $25 USD it will replace and update all drivers 

I suggest you stay away from websites like that.

Everything you need is at support.dell.com.

Intel Chipset (for on-motherboard SATA HDD/SSD Ports)

SIL/SIS (for External eSATA and maybe the Opticals).

... or just from Windows-Update if you are running Windows-10/64bit

12 Posts

August 15th, 2017 13:00

Yes I down loaded and installed those 3 drivers but it still comes up with " Serial ATA Contoller doesnt have a driver " I have troubleshooted the problem and clicked on search the internet for a driver and nothing found ? While I have been searching I have scanned my computer scanned by those sites that keep your drivers up to date and that also finds that the ATA controller driver is missing but if I pay $25 USD it will replace and update all drivers so the driver is available so I am still searching . If it help I can take a picture grab so you can see whats loaded into this A4 Aurora .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 15th, 2017 14:00

Actually, I don't see it either. I DO NOT have an Aurora-R4 here to look at. Maybe all the SATA ports run from Intel Chipset. Here are all the files:

Product support for Alienware Aurora R4 

Maybe user has an Aurora R1-R3 instead?

sub101uk‌ , What does your Invoice say? What Intel processor is installed? Can you tell what Intel Chipset is on motherboard? Are you running the latest BIOS?

August 15th, 2017 14:00

listen to the Wise Man. leave those Types of Websites alone.

Tesla1856 is probably right and you are missing the eSATA Driver. i checked and it is not available for Download so you have to find your DVD.

12 Posts

August 16th, 2017 12:00

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your feed back and I can confirm that this is a A4 Aurora , Mother board is a MS-7591 Dell 4VWF2 , BIOS is

A11 , Not sure what you mean by " Invoice " But would think you mean full spec of the computer . Ok this is the spec sheet of the computer when I bought the computer 5 years ago .

SPECIFICATION

Motherboard

Intel X58 Express chipset (Unlocked BIOS)

Processor

Intel i7 975 EXTREME EDITION 3.33GHz Quad Core Processor + CORSAIR H70 Water Cooling System (Brand New)

RAM

CORSAIR 12GB DOMINATOR GT

DDR3 1866MHz Dominator GT (HEATSINK VERSION) Tri channel Ram

Hard Drive

SamSung 2.0TB, Brand New

Graphics Card:

MSI ATi RADEON R6950 - DUAL (Flashed Bios to 6970, and rated better!!!) 2GB GRAPHICS CARD (BRAND NEW BOXED)

!!! TOTAL GRAPHICS MEMORY IS 4GB !!!

Optical Drive:

LG BLURAY PLAYER (SUPER MULTI DRIVE WITH LIGHTSCRIBE TECHNOLOGY)

Network

WIFI SUPPORTED WITH EDIMAX SO ITS ALL WIRELESS READY

Sound

Internal High Definition 7.1 PC Sound

Ports (Top, front & back)

8 x USB 2.0, 1 x eSata, headphone port, Mic/Line-in, firewire, 10/100/1000, S/Pdif

As for those sites that sell you all the updated drivers for your computer many of these seemed to be linked via the Dell site so you have no idea until you run there program to check your drivers then be told 1 Driver is missing and 35 are out of date Then Pay ! .

I have also noticed the clock seems to be slow from time to time and boot up is slower which I think maybe because of the BIOS battery on its way out and needs changing out as I think BIOS batterys last any thing from 2 - 10 years . as for the Serial ATA Controller Driver I am unable to find one .

When I bought this computer it came with a CD " Alienware Microsoft  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit " its a auto boot CD which just re-installs windows . 

Sorry if I have missed some thing but I know very little about IT problems so every thing is very slow .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2017 13:00

sub101uk wrote:

Mother board is a MS-7591
Motherboard: Intel X58 Express chipset
Processor: Intel i7 975 EXTREME EDITION 3.33GHz Quad Core Processor
8 x USB 2.0,
1 x eSata

It came with a CD " Alienware Microsoft  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit " its a auto boot CD which just re-installs windows . 

You have the first Dell/Alienware Aurora (aka Aurora-R1) built between 2010-2011.

I see you bought it used (which is fine). Just know the Corsair Liquid-Cooler and Ram-Memory are after-market upgrades by previous owner. Good thing you got Windows-7 DVD-ROM, and there should be a Microsoft Windows-7 CoA sticker on the back somewhere.

Your files are all here:

Product support for Alienware Aurora 

see this:

Edit: added links

12 Posts

August 16th, 2017 14:00

Yes some guy on Ebay was selling it seems he upgraded a few things like the Corsair Liquid-cooler and extra Ram as for the Windows 7 CoA sticker there is none it would seem that you dont need it as soon as you boot up with this CD in it starts installing Windows its not like the installs when it asks for the keys from the sticker . Yes I have been to the web site and done the down load and installed the 3 programs .

Serial ATA I Intel Storage Manager ( OS Pre -Install Driver Only ) V.9.6.0.1014.A06

Chipset |Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.1.1.1019, A01

Serial ATA |Silicon Integrated Systems SIL3132, v.1.0.15.6, A02

I just let the site tell me which files I wanted . If I find it myself which ones should I go for ? But I think I have already installed

most of them already . I have already done a reinstall using the CD as I had a problem with the BIOS but it seems fine now except No Serial ATA Driver ? But in the next few days I will change the BIOS battery .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2017 20:00

sub101uk wrote:

I just let the site tell me which files I wanted . If I find it myself which ones should I go for ?

It's all spelled-out in the "Clean Install" link above. The Chipset driver must be installed First (after Windows-7 First-Time Setup is complete) .  Then the SIL/SIS driver later.

The Intel-RST driver is not actually required (again, see linked Post).

12 Posts

August 17th, 2017 12:00

Ok understood I need to do a clean install again and then do install Chipset driver then the SIL/SIS driver later . Should I reformat the whole of the HD then install Windows 7 again or just run the Alienware Mircosoft Windows 7 home CD ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 17th, 2017 13:00

If it's no big deal, I would start fresh again.

I like to start with a completely blank/raw HDD/SSD (uninitialized and no partitions). At this stage, having only the main bootable OS C: drive connected to controller is usually better.

12 Posts

August 18th, 2017 07:00

All ok just reformat and install the Alienware Mircosoft Windows 7 home CD then Chipset driver then Then the SIL/SIS driver later. I have a kit computer here as well so if I have any problems I will let you know but the Windows 7 updates will keep coming for a few hours and my internet link is only at best 28 Mps so loading Wolfenstein The new order takes 4 hours .

Thanks again for all your help and will let you know how I get on .

12 Posts

August 19th, 2017 03:00

Ok I have just finishing and reinstall from the Alienware Mircosoft Windows 7 home CD This CD has no licence you just insert the CD and it starts installing windows 7 home .Its a Black CD with Alienware MicroSoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to me it looks genuine

Ok its now finishing installed and asking for Country , Time and key Board and finalizing my settings , From what Carbon Based Lifeform was saying the missing " eSATA Driver " should be on this CD since its not available on the web  .

Ok I have just gone straight into Devices and Printer and shows we still have a problem having no Serial ATA Controller so looks like I need to buy a replacement CD .

One thing I have noticed is that I keep getting messages from MS regarding upgrading to O/S 10 but I want to keep 7 , So at the moment I have not done nothing more until I find a replacement Serial ATA Controller Driversince as you said the chipset drivers need to be installed first

No Events found!