Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2016 09:00

Alienware Aurora R4 problem

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can give an idea why my problem is happening because it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to fix a friend's Aurora R4. He gave it to me saying that it runs slow, it's very loud and shuts down by itself. I figured overheating, and that was the case. I read online a bit and a lot of people complained that the liquid cooling on this model has problem with the flow after some time and needs to be opened and cleaned inside. So that's what I did, i put thermal paste again, plug every cable at the right place and now the computer won't boot. When it was working, the Alienware logo would show, the bar under will start filling, and after that the PC will boot into Windows. Now, the first screen is the Alienware logo, but the bar under it is already full, the PC hangs like that for like 30 sec, the LED lights start and then the PC shuts down. At first I thought I broke the liquid cooling, so I got another one - Corsair H80i (read on the forums is better than the stock). result was the same. I unplugged the HDD, the video cards, nothing changes. I haven't reset BIOS, I'll do it today to see if changes anything, but I'm doubtful. I'm thinking it might be power supply as well, so thinking of grabbing one from work and trying it out, but if anyone has an idea what could be the problem, I'l lbe happy to hear any ideas. Thanks in advance.

3 Posts

July 19th, 2016 13:00

I did that. It runs until I release the button, but still I have 1500 W PSU at work, so I'll give it a try, you never know.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 19th, 2016 13:00

Hi.

The PSU has a test button, it is a little black button located at the back. You can hold the button and the system should stay on while you hold it (PSU fine), but if the system shuts off while you're holding the button, then it will be a PSU failure.

If the PSU is not the problem, then something is not properly connected.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 14:00

Ok, try that, but if the issue remains, then something is not properly connected.

Please check Bios settings, you can Load Bios Defaults by pressing F9.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2016 18:00

The result with the spare PSU was the same. It doesn't seem that it acknowledges any buttons being pressed - F2,F9,F12,F8, the starting screen looks frozen. i was thinking about POST diagnostic card - I found one in Amazon with a PCIE x1 slot, wondering if that will shows something.

No Events found!