Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2015 16:00

Alienware Aurora (Late 2009) GPU Upgrade Problem

Hello,

I have purchased a brand new AMD Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC, and upon installation of the card I have encountered a boot error. It's worth noting that this is a UEFI GPU - I don't know much about that that means other than it is a new BIOS type. 

Upon power-up, it has a repeated 6 Beeps (points to a video card problem) until the power button is pressed again. Fans spin on the GPU - black screen & no boot.

I have the standard 875w PSU - so that shouldn't be an issue?

It hasn't booted at all, but when I put the old GPU back it boots perfectly fine.

I purchased this Alienware Aurora new from Dell in Nov. 2010 - so I am confused as to why I have (according to the Dell product checker) a 'Late 2009' model - as opposed to the R2/R3 I should have gotten?

Anyway - I am baffled as to why the computer will not boot - as the PSU & everything else is sufficient to my understanding.

Replacing the old ATI 5670 (it was in crossfire - but only stuck one of them back in) that came with it and the PC booted up no problem whatsoever. I then uninstalled AMD drivers and control centre entirely and rebooted. Still no luck.

Specs:

• i7 920
  • 2x 4gb RAM (newly installed - but tested & working)
  • 1x 250~gb SSD (newly installed - working for a couple months without issue)
  • 1x 500gb HDD
  • 875w PSU

If there are any other details I need to provide please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help - it's much appreciated!

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 04:00

The problem has now been solved - but thank you for your response.

The issue was not compatibility but it was a PSU Cable issue.

• 

2.7K Posts

June 10th, 2015 10:00

This system should be an Aurora R1, we didn’t validated that video card for this system so there is no way for me to assure you that it will work properly, but I would recommend you to test the video card in all the slots and if it doesn’t work there could be a problem with the video card itself.

No Events found!