Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 29th, 2017 15:00

Alienware 17 R3 keys (H,J,K,L,Y,O) unresponsive

Hi there,

I'm having a strange problem with my Alienware 17 R3. When I power on the laptop the keys mentioned in the title as well as the directional keys are unresponsive. If I plug an external keyboard in all keys work fine. 

If I then restart the system all keys function as normal for the duration I'm using the machine. (May take 2 or 3 restarts). After shutdown the problem returns the next time I boot up and I have to repeat the process. I've updated all drivers and run diagnostics to no avail. Searched online for answers and some point to windows 10, others to a faulty machine.. Either way nobody seems to have found a solution? Even replacing the keyboard doesn't fix the problem apparently.

Has anybody had this issue? And if so.. Have you found a fix? The laptop is still under warranty for another 63 days but from others online testimonials I'm not holding out much hope :-( 

Thanks in advance 

July 30th, 2017 03:00

Hi TYR4NT.

what happens if you enter the BIOS Settings after Cold Boot? do the Buttons work in there?

try following:

disconnect all Cables.

remove Laptop Battery.

hold Power On Button for a Minute.

i hope it helps.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2017 04:00

Hi there, thanks for the reply. 

I'll try when I get back home in a couple of hours and post results. :-)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 31st, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can review your case.

7 Posts

July 31st, 2017 11:00

Thanks for the reply :-) 

I purchased the laptop off eBay on a last minute auction. After much deliberation I decided to send it back today and buy new. 

It's a shame because if the keys worked as advertised it would have been an absolute bargain! Managed to pick up a 15 R3 (new model) brand new with a 4 year service or replace guarantee so happy with that. 

Thanks for your time and I'm sure I'll be back, hopefully with a more positive story about my new purchase. :-) 

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 00:00

Hi there, how do I send you a private message?

I've just received a brand new Alienware 15 R3.. Same issue! Only the letter 'P' that I've noticed not working but still hugely unacceptable for a £1700 machine straight out of the box. 

Any help greatly appreciated as I really don't want to have to send a second one back :-( 

Thanks in advance 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 07:00

Just hover the cursor over my username and click on Message.

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 12:00

Private message sent. 

Problem goes away after a few minutes but is the exact same issue as the year old 17 R3 I purchased on eBay and returned. 

From what a computer engineer friend has said, I believe it to be an alienware software/driver issue. 

Any help shedding light on the problem would be greatly appreciated. 

August 3rd, 2017 14:00

all you have to do is try to use it outside Windows. as i already mentioned in BIOS Menu for Example.... or USB Linux.... or USB DOS.... or whatever works. does it fail the Test, then it's a Hardware Problem and if the Button works outside Windows then it's a Software Issue. i thought you was going to try this when i told you that for the first Time. now you have a different Laptop with the same Issue. why do you Guys always ignore Suggestions or give up so fast i really don't know.

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 15:00

The first laptop was factory sealed with a tamper evident sticker over one of the screws. I didn't want to void a warranty and waste £800 on a second hand machine so I sent it back. New laptop is a day old and can be replaced so why would I open / remove anything? Both systems work with a wireless keyboard so if it's a hardware problem, dell/Alienware will not be getting any more of my money because they clearly struggle to build a reliable machine... 

Looks like I'll be sending another one back 

1 Message

August 3rd, 2017 20:00

Try this - https://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm.

It will help you diagnosis if its a hardware or software issue.

No Events found!